LilZilla

Head down advise needed

I've been introduced to freeflying when I had around 25 jumps. Off and on, I've been trying to get into freeflying because it looks like so much fun on all these videos. I have a very stable sit and stand down now but I can't get into a head down for anything. I've heard that if you go into a stand than cartwheel into a head down it would be a lot easier because of the build up of speed. I tried that and still corked every time. I've tried both leg positions and keep my arms slightly bent inward as I'm told that helps keep your back straight. What advise can you guys hook me up with to get me flying?

My opinion......at 111 jumps, stick with your upright flying. Just cuz you can hold the position doesn't mean you've mastered it. ;) People will tell you a lot of different things, but here's my personal progression recommendation. In a sit, I think you should be able to have CONTROLLED movement in all directions (including sideslides), be able to do transitions on all axis (flips and such) while staying on level, and be able to take docks and HOLD them with either hand and either foot. Then you can consider trying some inverted stuff. Trust me, learn all this stuff and wait for head down. You'll be glad you did later. B| The fun is in the journey, not in the destination.

Good luck, and have fun!! B|

Oh, and no matter what, work on your backfly while you're at it...it'll come in handy. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

What Wrongway said.

I started in earnest with HD flying at around jump 400. At that time I could do transitions on all axis, regulate fall rate quite well, take grips on most people (maybe just once or twice during a skydive, but still) and generally get outta the way when I was below/above someone. In the head up position.

HD flying is pretty hard. I can fall down the tube, move (rather slowly) backwards and forward, do 360s/turns and transitions. Can't really fly into a grip, but better fliers easily dock on me.

No rush. HD may be cool looking but if you wanna be safe, you better be really good at the "base" head up position before you move on.

I just started flying on my head and am glad it took me until now to do it...see you can hold a stable sit...but can you dock on people, are your arms forward flying in a true neutral position? I found that once I got to a point where I could fly a solid base arms forward recliner style I could move better do turns cartwheels and front and back loops better take forward docks etc etc... then I went to arizona and knocked out 70 training jumps in two weeks and got on my head...

plus there is that whole high speed awarness thing that comes witha few more sit jumps ;)

I am not knocking what you are doing, I just know what worked for me and those around me...

cheers and good fun...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

if you go into a stand than cartwheel into a head down it would be a lot easier because of the build up of speed

That's a pretty hard way to learn it in my HO. Try headdown exits. They are subterminal so easier to hold. It will ease you into it rather than sling you into it.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I agree with the first 2 responses....take your time and be patient. You are new to the whole skydiving thing in general and if you truly love it, you will have LOTS of time to "master" different skills. Your sit will be your headdown neutral of sorts, so it is IMPERATIVE that you can control that in every way - speed, levels, etc. Headdown is a whole new ball game ~ if you have friends that want to take you out and let you feel it - go play and ALWAYS keep safety first and foremost. Easy for movement, fast movement at that and there are other people in the air with you...on your skydive and the ones before and after you.

I started feet-flying at jump 50, and continue to learn today at 800 jumps. I'm confident I could go out on my feet and "be there" with just about anyone but there is always room for improvement. I started working on headdown at about jump 300, with help from some very patient friends. Today at 800 jumps, although I can fly the tube and exit stable, I have no problem admitting I still have TONS to learn.

Each discipline provides it's own challenges. Every person learns differently. Some are naturals and some are not but as long as you are being safe, having fun, smiling and learning with each jump - do what makes you happy! THAT is what life is all about! ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

It looks to me that you just need to jump more. I didn't even think about trying to go head down until I had 300 jumps and I was extremely comfortable in my sit. If you can take a dock as well as dock on someone, then ok, but if you can just hold the up right position and thats it then I would suggest that you just consentrate on your sit for right now. The last thing you want is to cork and have someone in that path. So make sure you can sit through anything (people pulling you around, someone docking you really hard) other that that have a great time.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

Hi LilZilla.

Like everyone else said, don't rush the head down thing, get confident in head up, movement in all directions etc, and like WRONGWAY said learn those backfly skills. However if your ready to progress there is nothing wrong with trying.

First of all be sure to jump the correct jump suit, if your jumping head up in tight fitting legs and baggy top, this wont work for head down, get a suit that fits the same all over or correctly for you, it will be more beneficial to learn in, than say baggy legs and tight top. I gather your rig is free fly safe? No Velcro on those riser covers? Racer?

You don't need to be in a stand to start, like 78RATS said go head down from the door. The best way to do this is jump with someone that can fly head down. Get them to hold on to your shoulder straps and roll into the head down position. With them holding the shoulder straps it leaves you free to fly. The general position to get yourself going is legs as wide as possible. If you keep reinforcing this on the way to altitude it will help allot. Also by bending your knees you will fall faster, (less surface area in the wind) by hooking your feet up, or down in this case you will fall slower, (cupping the air.) But at this stage you really don't need to concern yourself with that just yet. Your arms should be slightly bent and just in front of your body, not out front as such, if you put your arms out to your sides below shoulder height then move them forward (around 30` from the line of your body) until you can see them easier while looking forward that's it. Then rotate your hands forward so your palms are not cupping the air, you don't want to fly head down hanging off your arms. With your arms and hands in this position it will leave you open to take grips later on. (You should be able to see your arms in freefall.) There is however the shape of your body, arching or de-arching, that you won't be able to see yourself, this can only be corrected with that great thing called coaching.

If there is no one around that can fly head down with you, leave the door on your back so you can watch the planes line of flight, then roll back until you start going head down, easier said than done unfortunately. You can also leave in a sit then roll over to you side, you don't need to throw yourself into it just ease into it. Once you have started this roll it will keep going or it will put you on your back so you need to really pump your legs out to stop it and get going head down. Picking a point on the horizon will help. If you can jump with a few people on an Atmonauti this too will help transitioning to head down?

Also if there are other people on other jumps on the load be mined full that you will track around in the sky until you can hold a steady head down. Pay attention to your height, you will be falling faster, If possible jump with 2 audibles, and wear goggles that wont slide down your face in freefall.

But really, spend the cash and get coaching, it's the difference between doing 50+ jumps trying to get something your more than likely doing wrong, and doing 10 jumps and getting it right.

Remember to, be patient, you don't need to rush anything in this sport.............

Lozza.

Hey, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I do have a racer, which I know is not very freefly friendly. I just ordered a G4 though and should be here soon. I've tried a few of the things you told me and have been able to get stable for only about 4 - 8 seconds at a time, which is cool because its slowly coming to me. Most of the time though, when I'm not doing RW jumps, I'll work on my sit. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done with that. Thanks again for the advise and take care.

I know is not very freefly friendly.

WARNING: Your gear does not care if you really want to freefly. It's gonna do what it's gonna do.
Might want to wait for that G4.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I think we all know what it's like to be in your position? So I to agree with Rob, what untel that G4 turns up. The last thing you want is a premature opening in a head down or a sit?
There is nothing wrong with the good old RW jumps, they teach you alot that can be transfered to Freefly, and you never know when you might be on a bigway or a hybrid and those flat skills will come into they're own?

Hey, besides, once you've got your G4 you will have to test it out, on, lets say a heap of freefly jumps.......;)

Lozza.

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done with that.

oh of course! i'm sure even the best find things that need improvement! i STILL can't get on my head to save my life.... but am making small, sluggish steps towards holding head-down.

i have learned with LOTS of solos (or maybe 2-ways with a much more experienced jumper) & just experimenting. like you, i tried early and on-off to learn HD, then gave up out of frustration. but i've found that doing lots of sitting/standing/RW in the meantime has unintentionally prepared me for head-down because now i know how to fly my body better..... make sense?

**best of luck & don't jump in a Racer :) **
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com