Squeak

150 eliptical V's 150 Hornet

Ok can any of you lot explain the physical difference between an eliptical (say Stiletto) 150 and the Hornet 150.
I know that the stilleto is tappered both front and back on each end, but is it shorter and fatter or longer side to side.
Will it pack up to the same volume (not as silly a Question as some may think).
Are the handling charatceristic REALLY different to the Hornets?
I'm looking at saving up to get a stilleto (or equivilent, but I dont want a brand war) and figured if the performance difference is vastly different, \downsizing would not be required. There apears to be a culture here in Oz to go from a 150-170 semi eliptical to a 135 fully elliptical.
My thinking is that it's probably better for ME if I keep the same wing load and go that way?

CommentS????:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Full Elipticals (Stilleto, Crossfire, Heatwave and co) turn quicker and have a fractionally higher aspect ratio than "light elipticals." (Hornet, Safire, Sabre 2 and co)

That's it.

I think most low time jumpers are better off not jumping full elipticals due to higher malfunction rates and possible negative results of panic turns. (or youthful exuberance.) You can deciede what low time is. I think its less than 1500 dives. There are exceptions to this rule.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Honestly, I don't think you are ready for an elliptical canopy. What I would do is really get to know your canopy a little more. I didn't start jumping ellipticals till I had around 500 jumps and really think by the time I did the transition, I was better prepared than if I would have transitioned sooner. On the other hand if all fails and you don't take other jumpers advice, try to keep the wingloadings low. At less than 150 jumps you really are pretty green to the whole sport. I would recommend no more than 1.3:1 WL, this will ensure a good transition and many years. Stay with that Hornet and find its true potential, I'm sure with the right coaching and safe pratice you can enjoy it for longer time. Jst go ahead and ask one of your swoopers at your DZ that weighs around your same weight and ask him to jump it and show you what is't capable of doing.

Miguel

Yeah I know I'm way too inexperienced at present but they cost a friggen fortune, which is why I'm starting to savwe now I won't be actually shopping for one untill late next year at the earliest (hopfully 400+ jumps by then).
I was interested in the differences bewteen the 2, I'm a bit of a informatio hound. by the time I can afford to buy one I wiil be full bottle on what to look for and which I'd prefer
My plan is at least 400 jumps on my Hornet, but if providence should befall me and a "BARgain" comes along I'd like to be heads up on whats what.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

but if providence should befall me and a "BARgain" comes along I'd like to be heads up on whats what.

There are bargins every day, don't use the bargin as an excuse to get into a canopy that you aren't ready for.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I'm tracking on what you're saying.. Just remember, that there are always new and better canopies coming out on the market. I would recommend when you're experienced enough, you can start on the Demo campaign.. Also you can borrow canopies from friends in your skill level and give them a try.. I demoed about 11 types of chutes for a total of over 50 jumps before finding a canopy I was comfortable with.. I have over 700 flights and still wingload a conservative 1.45 on an elliptical Nitron.. But I fly the hell out of it.. I think like you money is the issue here.. As for the diference in how they would fly.. would be best answered by someone who has jumped both within a short time.. I personally have never seen a Hornet Live, only in pics.. I have flown a Stilleto at 1.5 WL and found it to be twitchy but fun. I think my decision to go with the Nitron was finacially based(50%0 off), seeing as the diferences in flight weren't that substantially diferent.

Miguel

I think pack volume has to do with things like, does it have airlocks, crossbraces, what material is it made of, what type of lines does it have, etc. Am I missing something? I don't think neccassarily the way the planform is designed changes the pack volume (of course unless the way its designed calls for more fabric here or there such as in any of the examples I said).

What else changes pack volume?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I went from a 150 Hornet to a 150 Heatwave. For a time I was jumping both. I can say with out a doubt they fly much different. The Heatwave which fly’s very similar to a Stiletto turned faster, dove longer and harder (more speed) it also had quite a bit of over steer to get used to. It had a little more bottom end lift. It required a lot more attention on openings. It was definitely a transition going from the Hornet to the Heatwave in the same size wing loading. The packing volume seemed to be the same.

but if providence should befall me and a "BARgain" comes along I'd like to be heads up on whats what.

There are bargins every day, don't use the bargin as an excuse to get into a canopy that you aren't ready for.

Thanks Jimbo, I didn't make it clear b4 but I would not be jumping anything elese until I hit my 400+mark, I'm in no mjor hurry to go eliptical, my Hornet out perfoms me but a long way yet;)
-
Jim

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?