Ncrowe

Sittin's Hard

Welp I've now officaly tried to freefly and damn was it ugly, spent most my time in the air looking I was in a washing machine, fun none the less...cant wait to nail this sheeet.:)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

My first sit went like that... I was pretty dizzy... :P
I could hold a stable sit with no corking (and very little sliding) after only a few jumps.. . of course I had a pretty good coach.... IMO its eaiser to learn if you jump with some one so you have a refence... but most importantly just relax have fun..B|

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

It took about 8-10 sit fly attempts before I was able to hold it for the better part of the dive and then about 20 jumps until I could hold it stable, no backsliding or movement other than going stright down the tube from exit to flattening out for deployment. Once you get it though it feels awesome.B|

My first sit was kinda like that. Then i jumped about 2 more times and just flew on my back sort of, then on the next jump, something kinda clicked i guess but ive been able to do it every since. Now i couldnt just fall straight down right away, but now i can sit and stand no problem and go forward and backwards no problem. Next is headdown for me.B|

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

About 9 for me to get the position stable....and prob another 20 or so to help dial in turns and movement ( some coached jumps in there)

Headown ...much harder for me....but after 'getting it' Im finding the happier you are in a position the more you see you need to learn.....so staying head up for a while is worth it I reckon.

Hmm, about 10 to get a stable knees to chest, ass to earth starting position(I call it my fetal position, I go back it when things go horribly wrong) then maybe another 10 or 15 before I got my legs down and not have them slide out from under me.

Maybe another 20 before I could snap into a sit quickly and hold it very steady with the heading I wanted. Standing came easy to me, maybe 3 or 4 jumps.

I'm still learning how to move forward and back. I also have to concentrate a lot still on my sit, so much so that I can maybe sit and track one other person in my airspace(more only if they're all in front of me).

It's starting to feel like a natural body position though. I've ended up snapping into a sit on some belly jumps when my two partners split off, slid and sank away from me. I didn't think about it, just sat, sank, hovered and spectated.

Ahh ...welp I tried to sit on 4 jumps so I guess I won't be beating myself up just yet:) Did two train exits that were good, I think after a few more of those I'll have at least the basic position down anyway. I watched some video yesterday and I was pretty close a few times. If all goes well I'll get too shoot up to Deland this week for a few days and work on it some more. Good Stuff:)

I've got a coach one of those free ones. No coaching rating but he's got more han enough jumps to teach me a thing or two. I'll eventually get myself back in the tunnel but right I'm spending my money making some jumps. Hpefully after this week I'll have some video to post:P if it goes well anyways heh

yeah it was hard for me too. I got some coach jumps with Dusty Smith. took me maybe 5 jumps, but probably 15 to hold it. since then I've been coaching others and it seems to take most between 5 and 15 jumps

yeah post some video it will be good to get everyone's feedback.

I agree with weegegirl hd is hard!

I tried it in the air, only held it for a couple seconds. Did some tunnel training, then tried it again in the air, exited in a sit and held it down the hill then started falling forward, backward and eventualy tumbled. The tunnel coaching helped a lot but I still need a lot of practice. I think it will take me many jumps before I get it right.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Welp 5 jumps later and I actually held my sit for roughly 10-12 seconds, pretty happy about it of course my friend had his camera acciently turned off so it really didn't happen:P But I do have a nice vid of a Hybrid with 2 flat flyers ( i was one of them) 1 hanger, a person in a sit foot docking on the flat flyers, and 1 person head down orbiting. Probably my favorite jump yet ...I'll try to find a place to host the video. :)

in the air, exited in a sit and held it down the hill then started falling forward, backward

story of my whole freefly life :(

am i correct in thinking i have to tense from my hips down into a solid shape... my legs keep sliding from under me and flopping me on my belly, it's really frustrating because i'd like to jump with the rest of the freefliers on the dz but can never really keep up and just look a total unsafe fool >:( i'm relaxing and can stay on my back and kind of stay on heading, but keeping my legs down below me and my speed up and heading is a nightmare, and i seam to just be stuck in a rut ....

I feel ya with that rut thing. I've been flyin in the tunnel for a bit now and still can't get the bloody grips in a sit. It is so tough in the tunnel, I can't wait to try it in the air and see if there is a big difference.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

When exiting you need to image yourself pendulum'in off the hill. If you exit facing the prop your going to want to exit onto your back almost and then slowly transition to your sit as you come off the hill. Jump off and look up at the plane and then start lookin to the horizon. And vice versa if your exiting facing the tail. look at the ground then horizon. Keep a wide stance, shins at 90's to the ground, feet flat, chest back, positive leg pressure.

-----------------------------------------------
The difference between fear and respect is knowledge. Learn more about what your doing and you won't be afraid to do it.

am i correct in thinking i have to tense from my hips down into a solid shape... my legs keep sliding from under me and flopping me on my belly, it's really frustrating...***

I know you posted this a while back, but nobody seemed to answer, so here goes. I don't think that's exactly correct. You should be relaxed top to bottom, but there's a difference between relaxing and going limp.

There's a variety of coaching techniques out there, available from a variety of coaches, and they often vary. One that I heard regarding the sit position was that you should be in the position you'd be in as if you were just getting up out of a dining room chair. It seemed to help me as a baseline. You should feel pressure on your feet and bottom of your thighs, as well as your arms.

If your feet are popping out behind you, you probably don't have them out in front enough. If you're leaning forward over your knees, and your feet under you a little, by putting your arms to the side or out front a little, you can probably fly pretty stable. Trouble is, you'll backslide like crazy, and your fall rate will increase. But you shouldn't fall on your belly and cork.

If you get your feet out front, but then they want pop forward out from under you, you can try bringing your arms back behind a little to help balance. I'm sure real freefly coaches can help or present this info better than I can here, but I hope it helps a little.

Regardless of whether you're head up or down, however, you won't really nail it till you become aware of your posture. Once you fly your torso, you can pretty much do whatever you want with your hands & feet. When you can finally sit reasonably stable, think about that. It all becomes fine tuning and minor corrections after that. Good luck.

cheers murps,

i often sit slumped, even as i type this in my "sitting" posture, i don't lean forward and do a chicken neck like some people if anything i tend to have my legs up slightly ... i do know i curve my back alot mostly because im lazy lol and that makes me look like a turtle flipped on his back. once i get my legs down from exit to break off i'll be very happy, then i'll sort out my "skating around the sky like a bastard" problem :$

one of the guys from a local dz said to me, it doesn't matter your legs arn't down as long as your head is up and your speed and heading are constant your freeflying the rest comes with comfort and practice. i'm inclinded to believe him, he won silver in the brazillian nat's :)