phil6086

need help with forward movement in a sit

Headup forward movement is all about using your hips. To move forward you need to push your hips forward, i'll expand on this.

First of all when people say push your feet down think of it the other way: push your body up, as if you are standing on something solid. This helps when you come to practicing headup movement on the ground.

Moving forward, in headup, is not as simple as just pushing your hips forward because when you do this you are presenting more surface area to the relative wind which makes you slow down. So as well as pushing your hips forward you need to speed up slightly by using your legs (think of making them straighter or pushing the rest of your body up).

I find that to get the most efficient forward movement I do not try to do both things at the same time. Instead I think LEGS then HIPS, this allows me to make the movements simpler and it also makes it easier to push your hips forwards, especially if your headup position is slightly crunched up.

You have to remember that headup is quite a powerful position, by this I mean that to make big movements you have to put a lot of power and effeor in the positions.

The other thing to think of is your upper body. For good forward movement you really need to be starting with a good basic headup position. Where are your arms normally? Are they behind you at all? If they are then I suggest concentrating on this first:
Try to bring your arms in line with the rest of your body or prefereably slightly infront of you. As well as this you should try to bend your arms at the elbows so you can almost see your hands in your peripheral vision.
The problem with having your arms slightly behind you is that when you go into your forward movement you are likely to push them back even further to help keep your balance, this will only limit you in the future.
Once you have got used to having your arms bent and slightly in front you can try this:
As you push your hips forward you can rotate your forearms down to almost be inline with your torsoe, this helps give you balance but it can also increase your forward drive considerably.

Again remember that this is a powerful move so can require quite a bit of strength and sometimes stamina to get a good sustained forward movement. This is where practicing on the ground comes in.
----

As far as ground practice goes, try the following to help you build in some muscle memory as well as strenthening the necessary muscles for forward movement.

Place you back flat against a walll with your arms in the position I mentioned before. Have you legs as if you would your normal sit position. Try to have nice wide legs and try to make sure your legs are just more than 90* away from your torsoe. How long can you hold this for? It is good for strenthening you legs.
From this position think LEGS then HIPS, so try to push your body up using your legs (keeping your back straight against the wall), then push your hips forward so that the only part of your body resting against the wall are your shoulder blades. Try rotating your arms down as I mentioned earlier at the same time. Repeat this process a few times until your legs etc are feeling a bit tired. Try and do this everyday and you should see a marked improvement on your forward movement.

I hope that helped. Feel free to ask any questions.

small movement forward can be accomplished by pushing your head back.. this puts the top of your shoulder blades and head 'into the wind'. Physically it is very similar to the motion you accomplish by pushing your hips forward, just less pronounced..

another method to train this is while standing have someone (strong) support the back of your head.. lean into their hands.. to do this without moving your feet you will HAVE to push your hips forward..

'flocking' sitfly/stand dives are a great way to practice this in the air...

Moving your arms down when moving forward may cause you to float a little, so as you get closer you may have to raise your arms or push down on your feet to sink.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

What i saw dave chrouch do and what he taught me that works for me is just point your toes and go.

-----------------------------------------------
The difference between fear and respect is knowledge. Learn more about what your doing and you won't be afraid to do it.

That whole muscle memory exercise really works. I've done any number of variations of those exercises at work, from siting in my office chair the way I would in sitfly and maintaining a steady even pressure on my legs, to the exercise you just mentioned. It really helps, and the more often you do these things when you aren't in the air, the more your body will remember when you fly it in the air. Just be sure to get good body position while practicing on the ground, or you'll wind up doing yourself more harm than good. Having an experienced freeflyer jump with you and fly video from a safe distance can really help you see where you need to improve. It helped me immensely.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.