kevin922

Neptune Review....

I have to say that I'm also very impressed with the new documentation. I read it today, and was able to use some of the new features that I learned about. My husband was doing night jumps tonight, so I told him he should use my Neptune! He decided (rightly it turns out) to use it as a backup, and using the cool "flip" feature, he was able to wear it on his right hand. So, here is some information based on his experience with it:

First, when in aircraft mode, the backlight does not stay on. Well, he was wanting to check what altitude they were at, but he couldn't see it, and I guess he started hitting random buttons and ended up in menu mode, which he was still in when he exited. From menu mode, it will not go into freefall mode (good thing it was just a backup!), and it also did not log the jump. I convinced him to try it once more on his second jump, after explaining exactly which buttons he should push if he wants to see the altitude in the plane. That worked out better, and he said it was backlit great in freefall, but that the backlighting went off under canopy.

So, it looks like there could be a few improvements for the backlighting, as well as possibly enabling it to go into freefall mode even from menu mode. I don't know how often this would be necessary, but theoretically a button could accidentally get pushed right before exit that could send it into menu mode.

Overall I'm really liking it so far, and I sold one of our swoopers on it today when he borrowed it (also got to try out that "demo" mode I learned about in the new documentation with him).

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Has anyone else had any weird problems when viewing the log entries? I won't get into details, as it's doing many strange things, but I'm losing the data in my entries, then it's re-appearing. I'm also having problems with deleting jumps (I'm letting people borrow it, so I need to do this). I just sent a feedback to Alti about these problems with more specifics. Just wondering if I'm the only one having this problem so far. I have version 1.5.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

I'll be sending an email to alti-2 containing this info, but first of all let me say that I love the product and have been using it for performance landings on a Velocity 84 all weekend with incredible success.

That said I did have 1 weird thing happen to me. After FF I chased down (spiraled from 4 to 2 g's) another canopy (all pre-planned) but I guess the Velo 84 had enough speed to trick the neptune into thinking I was back in FF again. This seemed to overwrite my dive log statistics as the neptune said that I had an exit altitude of 2500 feet and an opening of 500 ft!! Definately not the case :)
Other than that I've been very happy. It seems reasonably in sync with my protrac in FF and does everything I want to canopy mode.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

After FF I chased down (spiraled from 4 to 2 g's) another canopy (all pre-planned)

it was NOT a FF jump :)

Stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Actually it was a FreeFall jump, last I checked following you on a speed dive was still considered freefall :P. Monkey :ph34r:

See you this weekend.

Blue skies
Ian

i thought you meant FreeFly :)

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Here's the update on the "broken" Neptune I sent in.

it turns out the whole thing was user error. :$ And it could have been easily avoided by simply reading the owners manual.

Kathy was gracious about the whole thing, as usual. So of course I will order some more Neptunes to sell in my store :)

Has anybody of you that prefer analogue watches tested the neptune? How did you like it being digital instead of analogue? Did you need to think what altitude you were at or was it like an analogue where you only need to glance at it to know you're still way above pull altitude? Does that funmeter bar do it's job in providing this? Can that funmeter bar be set to deplete at another altitude? (I'm still pulling way above 3000f.)

The used display seems like a graphical one so perhaps alti-2 could program it to display an analogue meter as an option? Or would the display be too small to use it in such a way?

And why would you want to use an IR interface to communicate with a pc? Wouldn't serial or even more mini-USB (same protocol but not such a big connector as on your pc) or even 4-pin firewire be more suitable since almost all pc's have these connectors? There probably is a good reason for but just in case you folks at alti-2 haven't thought of this yet.

I suppose flashing the display and/or backlight when a specific alarm goes off wouldn't be noticable enough to draw the jumpers attention?

What will that software be costing? Any estimates? Free software or comparable to jumptrack?

The manual says if the neptune detects freefall, it will go into freefall mode. According to Luna it does not do this when in menu mode??

Why not simply (when in backlight mode) have the light on also when in aircraft mode? I always like to know what hight I'm at since I start preparing at a set height. This way you also know the backlight isn't mallfunctioning before you exit the plane.

Time to altitude should be useradjustable I think, I know with my very limited experience already of 1 dropzone that never takes you up to 13.000 feet.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Has anybody of you that prefer analogue watches tested the neptune? How did you like it being digital instead of analogue? Did you need to think what altitude you were at or was it like an analogue where you only need to glance at it to know you're still way above pull altitude? Does that funmeter bar do it's job in providing this? Can that funmeter bar be set to deplete at another altitude? (I'm still pulling way above 3000f.)

I've used an analog alti on 160-ish jumps, digital on only one. I found that I very much prefer the digital numbers readout on the Neptune, both in freefall and under canopy. My brain just seems to register the numbers faster. As for the funbar, I didn't even know that it existed until I was reading the manual after I demoed a Neptune.

And why would you want to use an IR interface to communicate with a pc? Wouldn't serial or even more mini-USB (same protocol but not such a big connector as on your pc) or even 4-pin firewire be more suitable since almost all pc's have these connectors? There probably is a good reason for but just in case you folks at alti-2 haven't thought of this yet.

IR is much smaller, this unit is the same size as a protrak (very small) if you were to put a USB port on it I think it would add considerable bulk to it, plus make waterproofing hard as you have an open hole you have to deal with.

I suppose flashing the display and/or backlight when a specific alarm goes off wouldn't be noticable enough to draw the jumpers attention?

Suggest it, you're not the the first person who has mentioned that.. wouldn't be too hard to put in.
If enough people ask for it they'll probably put it in.

What will that software be costing? Any estimates? Free software or comparable to jumptrack?

Around 50 bucks I hear, and from the rumors i hear it is very comparable to jumptrack.. supposed to be very similar.

The manual says if the neptune detects freefall, it will go into freefall mode. According to Luna it does not do this when in menu mode??

didn't read the post by luna, but if you mean MANUAL mode then yes it doesn't switch modes in manual mode, it stays on the altitude indicator.

Why not simply (when in backlight mode) have the light on also when in aircraft mode? I always like to know what hight I'm at since I start preparing at a set height. This way you also know the backlight isn't mallfunctioning before you exit the plane.

It may do this on the latest revision i'm not positive, but a 20 minute ride to altitude will KILL Your battery if it is on backlite the whole time. Backlite I believe takes about 500 times as much energy as not using backlite. They estimate a casual jumper will be able to use their neptune for a year on one battery.. you use the backlite for just a few of those jumps and that number is greatly decreased. If you need to see something on the way to altitude you can hit any key and it will stay on for 3 seconds.

Time to altitude should be useradjustable I think, I know with my very limited experience already of 1 dropzone that never takes you up to 13.000 feet.

It will be adjustable in future versions.

More feedback on the neptune. This weekend I did a demo into a landing area 1000 ft higher than the dz and a 20 min plane flight.

Just before take off I used the dz offset to set the elevation 1000 feet higher. The altitude display showed -1.0 as expected. After take off the neptune went into "plane" mode and the pilot leveled out at about 1100 feet above the take off point (alti read 0.1 as this point as expected). Within 10 mins (my guess is around 5 but I'm saying 10 to be safe) the neptune reset itself to the take off ground altitude (-1000) so when the pilot climbed again the read out was 1000 feet lower than expected.

I know I could have used the neptune in manual mode (and will do so next time) but I was surprised it reset itself so quickly.

Anyone else experienced this?

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I just got my Neptune on Wednesday, two days before out Casa Boogie. I was pretty happy cuz I got to use it 12 times in a couple of days. When we don't have visiting planes/pilots, I only jump probably once a week.

Everything worked well on it. I did scuff the screen a little on the first day. I ended up putting a piece of clear mailing tape over the face to protect it from stuff like that. My only hope for the next revision will be the changeable target altitude. I have version 1.17 and couldn't figure out how to change it. It worked great this weekend cuz we went to 13.5 everytime but now that we'll be back to the Cessna, we'll be going to 11.

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

Honestly - I cannot understand why they wouldn't allow a user to change target alti - seems like a pretty simple update to me as a programmer (of course not knowing how their software is built, it would bewho of me to comment on that).

Regardless, how many DZs out there have different target altis...

Anyhow - I'm saving for my Neptune fo sho!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Hardware is the mechanical stuff

Software is code that can be changed

Firmware is code that can't be changed.

I think that is correct...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hardware is the mechanical stuff

Software is code that can be changed

Firmware is code that can't be changed.

I think that is correct...

Close but not quite. Firmware can be changed.

Firmware:
System software written onto read-only memory (ROM), it is a combination of software and hardware. ROMs, PROMs, and EPROMs are considered firmware if they have data or programs recorded on them

Firmware is a term for code stored on some type of chip as opposed to being stored on a floppy / cd / hard drive. An EPROM or EEPROM can be flashed over and over again with new code as needed.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Firmware is a term for code stored on some type of chip as opposed to being stored on a floppy / cd / hard drive. An EPROM or EEPROM can be flashed over and over again with new code as needed.

Close but not quite :)

EPROM can only be programmed once, and needs special hardware to electronically burn the circuits onto the chip. EEPROM is very similar, but the circuits can be reset.

What you're referring to is FLASH memory, which can be erased/programmed via software. Think of it as a tiny memory chip storing the software that the bits remember their position even when the power is off.

But hey, it's off topic anyways :)

I'm going for a Neptune when the 2.0 software comes out. Setting the target altitude would be nice, since we don't go out at 13K at our DZ.
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky