Stealth

Sitfly carves

Me and my partner start to sitfly, we both have stable positions, level, but, when we trying to get more closer, we both start carves, seems my partner always slide to left ! And we can't approach close any more, because we turning in counterclock, at 10ft distance. When I jump with other people, this happens, but not too often. One experienced man said it happens because in sitfly we looking on each other and when partner slides left, we turn our head left, it initiate carve. He said we should look on the horizon behind partners head.
Can anybody give any tips ?
Maybe wrong body position ?

"but, when we trying to get more closer, we both start carves"

Have one person pick a heading, and hold it, while the other attempts to close in. This is called the base position, the target should be going straight down at a constant speed, not turning, or sliding at all.

This will give the person closing a stable reference to aim for. Try it turn about if you are both still unsure who is carving/backsliding etc.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Like said, at least one must hold the heading (the base), if not both.
When you or he approaches the base, do it gradually. get within 10m and stop for a second or two. then move a little further like 5m then stop for another second, then 2m and stop, and so on until you dock. Do it really slowly, take your whole jump if you need to. At those seconds that you stop, remember to relax (breathe) because the closer you are the more nervous/tense you'll probably get.

The carve probably starts because one or both of you aren't headed directly into another. Just a feet or two to the side is enough to start unintentional carve. Aim directly into his head (eyes), but slowly, you don't wanna dock to hard ;) If you still somehow end at his side not his front, stop at his side and then slide left so you end up in front of him but don't change the heading.
"George just lucky i guess!"

I doubt it is that someone is inadvertantly side-sliding, rather someone is inadvertantly driving forward. Instinctively they are avoiding the base, creating a carve. I wouldn't be surprised if you both are doing it.

Like suggested, have one hold base (no turning at all), and let the other fly. It will be obvious at that point who is doing what.

j

From what I have learned it takes two to tango......er I mean carve/orbit. It is not one person's fault.

Here is what is most likely happening: Both of you are sliding forward for a dock, and if your aim was perfect and you went directly towards each other, then you would get the dock. However, if you are even the slightest bit off to the side then you will start to orbit. This occurs because as you approach a person from an offset position, you turn your body to face them thus making your offset position look straight. Then as you pass the person and miss the dock, you continue to turn to face them and continue to drive toward them. You two are in a continuous state of forward movement and turning and you are continuously missing the dock and passing each other. This is a vicious(sp?) circle than won't stop untill someone stops turning and driving foreward. This is a phenomenon that can only occur in the air because of the lack of a frame of reference. It is something that inexperienced people do by accident and that experienced people do on purpose.:S

I don't even know if that makes sense to you.....it makes perfect sense to me;).
Flying Hellfish #470

...we both start carves, seems my partner always slide to left ! And we can't approach close any more, because we turning in counterclock...

If you are in a sit and carving to the left, then you are carving clockwise, not counter-clockwise.

One experienced man said it happens because in sitfly we looking on each other and when partner slides left, we turn our head left, it initiate carve. He said we should look on the horizon behind partners head.

He would have to have seen your skydive to have known whether this was true. YES, something is making you both carve; however, it may (or may-not) be the same thing causing it for each person. Correcting this the right way would require a good video debrief.

Truth is, only one large body part (a torso) or two of your smaller body parts (head, hands, hips, feet, legs, back, or even a big and stiff earlobe) can cause a carve. B|

Can anybody give any tips ?

Do what every freeflyer should do:

Learn what symmetry feels like by doing a bunch of jumps with someone who falls straight down the tube. Then, keep on jumping.

People pick up carves all of the time. Sometimes for as many as 100 jumps without being able to rid themselves of the bad habit.

Get video and take a good look at cause and effect... The cause of the movement and/or the effect of the wind on your body within its position.

It sounds like you are both becoming stable in a sit. And you are now learning lateral control. What is happening is that when you both drive forward to close your proximity, you most likely aren't properly countering your lateral/forward motion. So to keep from running into each other, you pass by and begin your orbiting.

You body position is probably fine otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to stay on level or close during your orbits. But the beginners basic position is: Chin up, arms level with shoulders, spine is VERTICAL and straight, knees are level with or below hips, ankles are DIRECTLY below knees, knees just a little wider than shoulders, feet flat at 45 degree angle max.

Try this:
Select the base, in the air face-off and work on staying directly in front of the base, assuming the base isn't zooming all over. Then, while remaining on heading back up 20', stop, advance 20' back to the face-off slot, stop. Switch the base and have the other jumper repeat the manuver.
Remember: when driving at another jumper, your heading should be a few degrees offset, in case you lose control, you might avoid a collsion.

Also, a carve is an intention manuever, an orbit is a lack of control. If you two are orbiting in a 10' circle, setting who will be base before every jump will get you on the right path.

A basic base has solid heading control, consistent fall rate and has little unintended lateral movement. Many people seem to think being the base is a bad thing, truth is, it's not easy to be a good solid base.

Good Luck