freakfly24

Fine tuning Lateral HD Movement?

What are the most effective methods for fine tuning lateral movement when flying head down? Try as I might, this is the one area of freeflying I'm having the most trouble with. I'm either too agressive in my movements or I'm not making enough inputs to place myself where I want to be in the sky. I'm open for some intellegent sugestions. My flying is becoming stagnent and I know I'm no longer progressing. [:/]

Just remember to make tiny little movements. It's better to get to wherever you're going a little later than to take somebody out cuz you were too aggressive.

If you have access to one, have a professional coach check out your body position. If you have efficient legs then even the slightest movement will put you somewhere. I had the same problem. I didn't think I was getting much reaction from smaller inputs. I flew with my legs kind of at a 45 and straight so long story short everything below the knee didn't have clean air. Once you find that "happy place" with your legs to where every inch is catching nice clean air, your movements will be more sensitive, and therefore will allow you much more precision.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I'm open for some intellegent sugestions. My flying is becoming stagnent and I know I'm no longer progressing. [:/]

A non physical suggestion, is stop thinking like that.

You aren't stagnant, you are at a plateau in your learning. This is a normal part of the learning process of any physical discipline. You are still progressing, even though it doesn't feel like it.

Keep jumping, keep working on stuff. If side sliding isn't coming, even after getting some coaching, move on to something else. At some point you will break through another level and be side sliding all over the place, you will pick up a whole bunch of new techniques very quickly, wonder why you ever had difficulty with them, and then hit another big wall.

It's natural. It's a journey not a destination, love the path that you are on.

And you can always fall back on this:
"Hey, I'm pretty good for my skill level"

Thank you both for your input. I is greatly appreciated. I do try to fly with my legs, but I'm not sure how much I actually use them v/s using my arms. I've tried to fly with my arms by my side and just use my legs, but (I'm a big guy and) my fall rate pics up quite a bit. Any tips on how to determine my weak point in my own flying? I don't have anyone available at this time to use as a coach.