Kramer

Has A SkyBall Ever Gone In?

Wassup guys. I am very new to this sport, so I'm probably not crystal-clear on my truths here.

I was told that those cool SkyBall thingies that you guys play with could basically get into the basement of a two story house if they ever hit it in terminal velocity. That sounds pretty powerful.

So, what are they made of? Has anyone ever lost control of one and watched it keep falling as they deployed? I dunno...just tell me about em. They look kinda cool. B| Peace!

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah they've been lost before! Many many many times.

The typical skyball is just a tennis ball filled with some lead shot and a little pull-up cord tail.

Most DZ's (that I've jumped at) that have allowed skyballs have made you jump it over a large field where it won't really be an issue if you drop it. Of course, you still try your best to catch it.

There are also some good guidelines that some DZ's have in place for jumping w/ skyballs.. such as approving certain experienced jumpers as ball masters and everyone that is not a ball master has to jump with one when they do ball jumps until they are approved. Make sense? I can't think of better wording:S

You also want to get control of the ball fairly high.. usually around 6 grand or so.

Ball jumps rock! They are excellent training tools and just plain fun. I love telling my whuffo friends about playing catch in the sky. :D

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

So, what are they made of? Has anyone ever lost control of one and watched it keep falling as they deployed? I dunno...just tell me about em. They look kinda cool. Peace!

they are a tennis ball filled with # 8 (i think)lead shot. i know vern may have lost one or 2 of them :), just maybe. and on one jump he almost lost it trying to fuck around and as he went to catch it, it fumbled off his hand. then i tried to catch it, and missed, and as i gave up and started tracking, vern comes flying by and catches it on his way by :P.

later

They are great fun and will penetrate a cow if you aim well enough.

Ummm.....seen this happen Tim?? B|

Hell yeah spaceballs have been lost, and they can be dangerous. I wasn't there when this happened but I've heard stories about one that missed someone working in their garden by what, about 10 feet?? I could be wrong on the distance but I know it was close enough to scare the shit out of a lot of people and get balls banned from the dropzone. Smart move if you ask me.

There's a new thingie called the Vladiball you might want to read into. Without going into detail, it releases the shot (very light if scattered) at 2000 ft if it isn't caught by then. However, it's not as stable as a tennis ball, moves a little (not a ton if loaded correctly), and remember, it's a mechanical device, and should not be depended on. It's not a replacement for the tennis ball so less experienced jumpers can fly it. It was made for use only as a last resort if everything else goes wrong to prevent things like the event I said before. Read up on it, it's kinda cool, and I hear they're possibly making a vladiball 2? Anybody know anything about it???

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

It's true, these things could easily puncture through a roof and a few floors. Glad to say that I've never lost one. [:/] Came close...very close early on, but never lost one.

At a DZ where it is legal to do so, freeflyers exit with the skyball over designated areas. Exiting last or first is usually the drill. They also inform the pilot so that if a go-around is needed then it can be planned. Exits for skyballs are usually over heavily wooded areas, swamps, baron desert, the ocean, etc..

Flying a ball wasn't deemed a restriction in the US until about four or five years ago I think. Someone dropped a ball in the backyard of a man cutting their lawn and that was it for a lot of places.

FAR 91.15 - Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped
from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property.
However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if
reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or
property.

This is the rule that the PILOT has too follow when it comes to dropping stuff. So it's the PILOTS fault if you hurt somebody or some thing with the ball. Please let the PILOT know if you intend to jump with a ball.

Mathias
Ingen minns en fegis!

I was jumping at a DZ and one guy took a spaceball on the load and hid the fact. He never recovered it and it hit a factory going through a floor or two of space before it hit the concrete deck within a few feet of a worker. Yeah they go in. Thats why it is important to have a qualified ball master on the jump when you get to the point to jump with one. I have never jumped with the Vladiball but look forward to doing so one day. (I am just too cheap to buy anything! B|)

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com