rocketdog

how did you learn head-down???

hey -- i've been trying now to fly head-down & HOLY MOLEY it's a lost cause.
*EDIT: i have absolutely $0 to afford a legit coach...

can any of you elaborate (if you remember) how you learned specifically? i.e., "i cartwheeled into it" -or- "it started out as a track :)"

*HeLp*
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

I started off doing a lot solos, about 40... Just tried to keep the horizon in the same position and not turning in any direction. I didn't care about my body positions at that time, just tried to _feel_ it. Then took 10 coaching jumps to work on my body position and to fly really stable.. then proceeded with solos again. The next step was taking a stable sitflyer as a reference with in the air. After doing that for a while i took about 5 coaching jumps for learning how to take a grip. Then jumped with other HD'ers, but then i found out, that i again need coaching because of some slight carving i still made.. Took another about 7 coaching jumps and woosh --> I can fly 3 way Headdowns now. But I still need a lot more practice and there a still plenty of things to learn, but I think coaching is not necessary anymore...
If you can't afford coaching, then take someone with a cam with you and show the video to an experienced freeflyer to get some ideas how you can improve your flying.
And again, you need to feel it! Remember to stay relaxed and the utmost important thing is to breathe. It sounds funny, but breathing was the key to success for me...

Feet up!

Max

I know of two people who got killed this year by going with just a friend, not an experienced coach. The newbie hit the friend in both situations.

I also know of one person who got turned into a parapalegic trying to help a person with head daown, he too was not a professional coach.

With dramatic changes in vertical, and horizontal speed, it is very dangerous to learn the beginning stages of head down.

Save your money and don't waste it on second rate coaches.

Solos on the other hand are quite good. Go last becasue of the seperation you will close when you are screaming across the sky.

Be safe. Be conservative.

Steve

trying to help a person with head daown, he too was not a professional coach

Watch your wording Steve. I'm not a professional coach but I'm certainly qualified. I understand completely what you mean in your post. Qualified coaches aren't necessarily professional, and some "professional" coaches aren not necessarily qualified. You've met some in your day.

BTW, steve is very qualified and his post states the truth about the people who were killed or injured.

When a person attempts a head down sinks below you and flattens out directly below you, you NEED the abillity to do what he does at the exact same time ... Good coaches will move when you move, stay so close to you it makes no sense.

Stay safe out there.

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Greetings rocketdog.
Learning to freefly is alot like ... telling screwballs to "suck a cheetah's dick" :)
ok... just kidding, I stole that cheetah comment from his profile B|

If you think about it, head down is just a position. Flying it and just being in it are 2 different things altogether.

I can't suggest enough, going out and performing lots of freestyle maneuvers. Learn how to do layouts, stand ups, stand up spins, sit spins stand up daffies, be comfortable on your back, Go nuts!! Learning how to be comfortable when flailling about will teach you more than just nailing a sit... or nailing a head down. Learning to fly feet down is so important. So many people move to head down long before they should. Being proficient on ones feet makes learning to fly head down so much easier.

Remember... LOTs of separation because you'd be amazed at the horizontal distances covered in some position.

I noticed you have your equipment listed as:
Container: looking for a different 1...
Main Canopy: give me a 135 Safire2 (for free)!!! :)
Reserve Canopy: PD Reserve 126 ft²

When you're out performing lots of flippy dos, be sure you're jumping with equipment that will stay closed until you want it open.

Good luck!

i have absolutely $0 to afford a legit coach...

If that were the case, then you would have $0 to afford to jump, period. B|

Get the coaching, TRUST ME. So you won't make as many jumps on a given weekend, big freakin deal, the quality of the dives and the amount of stuff you'll learn will outnumber those "normal" jumps exponentially. If you want to learn things quickly and much more importantly correctly, go find yourself a good coach.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of feet first typa jumps. Cartwheels, forward/backward movements, front flips and back, etc. THEN, decided I wanted to flip on over. So a few solos and had a QUALIFIED friend help me out and hook me up doin some 2-ways. And kabamo. Took some time to work the kinks and zoomies out like any normal mortal being, but it was SO much easier to grasp once I had done plenty of sit/stand jumps. Body awareness is a big factor IMO. During your free time, stand on your hands, it helps ;)

Greetings rocketdog.
Learning to freefly is alot like ... telling screwballs to "suck a cheetah's dick" :)

I AGREE! -- they both seem impossible :)

*ok seriously* i feel proficient on sitting/standing/etc. which is why head-down is so appealing now...
MY PROBLEM IS:
other than having video, how do you know if you're truly vertical? do you just know all the sudden or is it more like flying diagonally and gradually working your way to being vertical?

and yes, my container is freefly-friendly (thanks for the concern though).... how did you learn to get into head-down? from exit? backflipping into it?

???????????????
thanks for all the help :)~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

other than having video, how do you know if you're truly vertical? do you just know all the sudden or is it more like flying diagonally and gradually working your way to being vertical?

You'll just know. you'll fall into "emptiness" without any pressure of the wind on your chest or back. it's pure joy even if you'll feel it for only a couple of seconds for the first time.
You'll just know... ;)
"George just lucky i guess!"

I rarely admit "firsts" to anyone in the skydiving community but this got my blood pumping last weekend. I've done a little sit flying in my years of skydiving and stood up feet down and held it for a while but mainly I fly my belly. I got with a friend at the DZ this weekend and we decided to do something new. I know this may sound incredibly simple to you guys who do this all the time and I appologize. We stood on the step of a C-182. We gripped the fingers on our left hands, swung our arms back and forth for the count, and stepped off. We rotated towards the relative wind, held bent elbows with palms up, and kept our legs spread apart somewhat. We went head down and maintained it for around 20 seconds. It went perfect the first time and on the first try. Completely awsome seeing the world from that angle. I couldn't believe the speed we picked up. That is smokin!!! It was a good time! B|

I started by having somebody taking me on a headdown exit. They would hold me from my harness, or chest strap and leg strap articulation from exit until they couldn`t hold on to me anymore.
In freefall I would try no to fight it, keep myself relaxed and when I felt wierd I transitioned to sit. So that way the jump wasn`t entirely lost, and I could try and transition back to headdown.

When my exits got better, I started trying one hand (flower) exit. And in freefall pretty much the same.

*I`ve taken coachings (and try every chance I get), with Chris Fiala, and also Adam Rosen (Monkeyclaw), w/ whom I`ve jumped like 8 coachings and plenty of funjumps!!!,
And also a couple w/ Heath Richardson and Stuey Newman from Monkeyclaw gang.

I watched (and still am) tons of videos. .... Lost of them!
And I am still looking for that "sweet" spot on my head, where I`m able to move FWD, or Back, Faster or slower, and be setady enough to dock on some else.
So, I hope my tips help you a bit, ... I`m still learning also;)

*ps Taking coachings on FF, not only helps you to improve on your skills, but you do get a briefing and they can really let you know what you need to do, need not to do, and tips to really help you. These guys do this for a living, they know a thing or two about teaching FF skills to newbies or old farts that started out in RW.

*I know it can get expensive (if you make a bunch of coached jumps), but remember that it doesn`t only help you improve, but you can show your skills to a safe skydiver (by "safe" I mean a professional who really knows how to move away from you and not let you hurt yourself in freefall, they`ll keep an eye on you even if you float a lot -And believe me .... I tend to float TOO much- or if you go too fast).
And at the same time you make friends w/ them and since they`ve already jumped w/ you, they`ll invite you to a small 3 or 4way organized funjump, and so forth...if you seem interested and eager to learn.

Good Luck!:)
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

Greetings rocketdog.
ok... just kidding, I stole that cheetah comment from his profile B|

If you think about it, head down is just a position. Flying it and just being in it are 2 different things altogether.

I can't suggest enough, going out and performing lots of freestyle maneuvers. Learn how to do layouts, stand ups, stand up spins, sit spins stand up daffies, be comfortable on your back, Go nuts!! Learning how to be comfortable when flailling about will teach you more than just nailing a sit... or nailing a head down. Learning to fly feet down is so important. So many people move to head down long before they should. Being proficient on ones feet makes learning to fly head down so much easier.

Remember... LOTs of separation because you'd be amazed at the horizontal distances covered in some position.

I noticed you have your equipment listed as:
Container: looking for a different 1...
Main Canopy: give me a 135 Safire2 (for free)!!! :)
Reserve Canopy: PD Reserve 126 ft²

When you're out performing lots of flippy dos, be sure you're jumping with equipment that will stay closed until you want it open.

Good luck!

although i have heard the terms alot, can you explain what daffies and layouts are please?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

although i have heard the terms alot, can you explain what daffies and layouts are please?

Stand up daffies... Spread your legs front to back
Layouts.... straight body flips.

Stand up daffies... Spread your legs front to back
reply]

like the splits you mean, one leg behind you one leg in front?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Several people have already mentioned coaching. You have mentioned 0 money for coaching.

I remember feeling the same way you are, but if you take those few dollars you have to jump with and save them for a few good coach jumps you will get further MUCH quicker than you could excect. A GOOD coach jump is worth alot more airtime than the money itself could have bought in jump tickets. The greatest part is the amount of GOOD coaches out there now. (There weren't as many when I first started jumping, and even fewer before)

If you insist on continueing to learn on your own. Remember to always face 90 of off jump-run. As several people have already posted you WILL have alot of movement and this will help reduce the chance of bringing you closer to those groups in freefall with you.

Good Luck
Blue Skies
DJ

Hey Rocket,

As many have already stated, coaching is a great way to shorten the learning curve. Unfortunately its really expensive. I am lucky enough to have a brother that is a rather talented freeflyer and I get all my coach jumps free.:P

If you have no cash for the coaching, I can only reccomend one thing. Flower exits. Use this exit for every 2 or 3 way you can. When you come off the hill, just rotate to a sit and enjoy the rest of the dive HU. If you do this for a summer, you will be amazed how much more comfortable you will be on your head.

As Blinco said, be really careful who you go out with if you are doing 2 way HD and the other person isn't a coach. Its not that they are not a good freeflyer, but might no be used to avoiding an unguided missle that slams on its air brakes with no warning. When a guy like Blinco takes the time to respond, I'd listen.

Be careful dude, and choose your 2 way partners carefully.

I was coached by the late Brad Slager.
Probably one of the greatest unknown freefliers.
He started freeflying on my dz back before it was cool.
He would coach me on a regular basis and had me do plenty of solos.

Brad Slager Long live the Slagemiester. Atmoshere Dolphin 78

Is this the same Jim with the yellow/gray jumpsuit and was traveling to different dz's all last season? If so, he's one coooooool mofo. Really nice guy. Tell him Wrongway from SGC says hi, and it sucks I didn't get to jump with him at eloy.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.