stevenblincoe

Coaching?

How many people out there have gotten good freefly coaching?

Sky or tunnel?

Did they video your landings and give your proper canopy coaching also?

Did they pre, and debrief you?

How was their camera framing?

Did they coach you on the pattern?

How about seperation?

Would you get coaching in the future?

As for me, I have a bunch of coached freefly dives in the sky. (over 150 for sure, i guesstimate 175-180, ill have to check my logbook) I have coaching from a lot of different people from a lot of different places, and they all coach a little differently of course.

On all of them, I was in frame at all times during the dive, but I was only filmed once under canopy, and that was just for a pretty sunset shot, and have never had the landing filmed. I've never received canopy coaching (though I plan to this season). Every coach dive I've ever done has been pre and debriefed in detail, going over video, working on body position, etc.

Separation has been covered a bit, mainly because it's been at dz's other than my home. On the pattern, no not really.

I've also done a little under 3 hours in the tunnel, working primarily on sitfly and refreshing my belly skills. This was all before you guys got the spiffy new fans. B|

Would I get coaching in the future? Hell yeah I would, I travel to boogies and stuff almost primarily to get coaching. To me, one coached dive is worth 20 fun dives (when it comes to skills), and the more coaching I get, the more fun the fun dives get.

BTW Steve, I plan on coming down there sometime this summer and hitting up some coaching with you, so I'll see ya this season for sure. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Sky or tunnel?

How about seperation?

Yes, lots of good freeflycoaching.

Both in the sky and in the tunnel. Tunnel was mostly chatting with Rook and Mike Swanson, not really hands on tunnel training because of schedules.

Gotten formal coach jumps from all of the Monkey Claw tribe, except adam, Bobby P, Max Cohn, and Mike Ortiz.

Mostly no about videoing landings.

All involved pre and post briefings.

All camera framing was good.

No on pattern and separation, but I think pretty much each helped ensure proper separation.

Yes, would get coaching in the future. Always more to learn, and coaching is a key part in learning.

j

I'm just learning yet, and have tried to plan my jumping around receiving good coaching. I don't like having to un-learn my mistakes and bad habits.

Sky or tunnel? I live in BC. Tunnel? I wish...

Did they video your landings and give your proper canopy coaching also? Not during freefly coach jumps. Those focused on just the jump.

Did they pre, and debrief you? Yes

How was their camera framing? Usually great. On one coach jump, the video was poor, and he didn't charge me for the jump.

Did they coach you on the pattern? No

How about seperation? Some, depends on the jump.

Would you get coaching in the future? Absolutely! I'll take it at every opportunity. I learn so much on coach jumps, they're invaluable to my learning curve.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

my freefly coach is a tandem camera jumper so my videos are always great even if i'm flailing around like my first sit attempt ..

he's deaf, so we try and communicate the prebrief and debrief as best as possible.

al doesn't do canopy coaching or anything else, i see him as a friend helping em out and he won't accept any money for it, i do my best to buy him food when we travel to other dz's so i am paying him in some way i would like to think, he's a mint guy and very very funny. it's great because as i'm learning sit i'm having to learn sign language :)

Hey there dude..nothing really just wanna say i like your signature..(freefly like noone is watching etc......makes alotta sense ...i'm kinda philosophical so yeah nice one bro...BLUE SKIES CHOW !!!;)
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

Yeah, I can be quite philospophical and less physical when it comes to expressing my ideas about freeflying. A lot of my posts can be that way too.

Many people say that their flying improves with a better mood/attitude. This is true of many sports, but particularly with ours. 'Why is this true???'hmmm...I've always wondered. Well, it could be because RELAXING STRENGTHENS SKILL in freeflying/skydiving. A positive attitude, a little focus, and without the stress (of someone else around you at 170mph, gear fear, altitude fear, etc.) your flying ability can consistently improve on every jump. My posted reply to Wrongway in THIS post actually touches on what I am referring to here.

Anyway, cool!!!, glad you are with me. -DC :)

i've done loads of coaching at different times any have a wierd perspective

ive gone with babylon, fly boyz, frick, aria and alchemy.
the best 2 coaches are 1. alaska jon 2. ippo fabbi
jon is the best for vertical, ippo the best for horizontal

ive also done 2 hours in the tunnel(1.5hrs coached by jon) it makes you very good head up, but takes some time i think to get the head down benifits and is very costly to do so

jon and ippo do massive pre and post jump briefsm and thier personalitites are the best part, incredible people, i honestly think the student/coach relationship is vital

some coaches ie...babylon, really skimp on the briefs and arent nearly as experienced/talented and just want to bang in the coach jumps, steer clear of these types...

the fly boyz and frick are both highly talented and personable guys as well!

Fedykin.......

I'm sure everyone has opinions, Fedykin of course is entitled to his. Just as I am :)
I have been coached by a few coaches, some have taken my money but most have been excellent. The US coaches I have had the pleasure to work with are Alaska and Colon Berry. Top notch flyers.

I am sure everyone has different experiences and indeed goals. However the people who have helped me the most and taught me the most are the Babylon boys. All very good coaches, not all with medals hanging around their necks, (although some do!!!) and amazing flyers.

I am sure everyone will relate to being protective of places or people, I just had to put a post in for the boys. They are bad arse, and are real flyers, they do it for the sport and are bloody good at what they do. So please people, Fedykin's comments are just his.

In my humble opinion, they give the most detailed briefs and debriefs, and until recently (until the Euro became so strong!!!) were really good value for money.

Oh, Fedykin, mate why you say this stuff from people who have really helped you and you spend time with. And on a public forum. Did you tell them how much they sucked when you were inviting them around for diner this summer?

babylon, really skimp on the briefs and arent nearly as experienced/talented

World Cup 2000 Gold Medal?!?!?! Olav and co. second - must be really bad flyers;) Oh forgot again, Loic was in that team, and he sucks as a flyer;)

I've had a bunch of in air coaching and a little over two hours in the tunnel, with Mike Swanson. Both were excellent but I really enjoyed the tunnel time. I feel I was able to be more relaxed and concentrate on precision flying much better, granted sitting was different in the tunnel but the combination of back, sit, and hd(only on the net) in that environment have given me a much better sensitivety to feeling the air. Pre and debrief were great, I ask alot of questions and am very critical of myself and he did a very good job addressing my concerns. Camera framing was good. Separation was fine. I will be getting lots of more coach time in the future, sky and tunnel. The only other People I've seen coaching are, Brian Germain, Dave Brown, and Sisco and they all had very positive coaching methods. I'm sure there are others such as yourself that are also very good.

Hope this helps, this is just my experience, I also come from a heavily coached sports background and being very competitive have gotten alot of coaching in these other activities, and value any instruction I can get. My two cents in what works with my competitive personality is that I would rather get instruction from coaches that are into or have been heavily into competition due to that they probably have had to think more about their movements and positions in order to try and be on top of their game.

my coach: Dano @ Air Adventures in clewiston florida...

Sky or tunnel? sky

Did they video your landings and give your proper canopy coaching also? not unless you ask, what you paid for is freefly coaching.

Did they pre, and debrief you? yes both, very thuro and he is an awesome people person, easy to get both praise and criticism from... which, in sky diving, is a rare commodity.

How was their camera framing? awesome again. he is also a tandem camera man and has worked with cameras for 20 years. very steady, good shots.

Would you get coaching in the future? yes, you are never too old (or perfect at something) to learn!;)
~ Cyn
--going nowhere at lightening speed!--

::raises hand:: MEEEEEE!

Sky or tunnel?

Both.

Not so much so, however, I just had a canopy control course with an awesome swooper...(Skydive Moab, Clint!!! You rock man!B|)

Yes. My FF coach from last season was awesome. He taught me various maneuvers and worked with me one-on-one to really improve my skills.

Not too bad, but my coach would often say that he needed to fly "tighter" on me to get more in terms of proximity, however, instructors move and I will be working with others in the future.

Not really, but I wasn't working on that at the time.

How about seperation?

Very important, and emphasized. Several jumps at the beginning of my FF progression were focused on just tracking and maintaining safe distances from other jumpers.

Damn straight. FF is working with much higher speeds and working with someone who has the experience and getting an opinion that isn't based on your own perspective helps to improve your skills. Of course, video tells all and debriefing helps to make one realize mistakes and make improvements.B|

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I got coach by one of the best freeflyer in the world according to his credentials very well known, I considered him a friend also, until he charge me $35 bucks for each of three jumps plus the slot, there was video not much debrief or much pre jump info, not good at all that was the most expensive less informational coaching jumps I have ever made, on the other hand I had Scott Miller canopy control course and recomemded to everybody, and others world class freefliyier coaching me and friends and have no complains all of then a lot less expensive and will do it again every chance I get, I learned that you can be a talented fliyer yet shittie coach.

Just my opinion.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Me

Sky or tunnel?
Sky

No on both counts. Well, one did video the landing.

big name coaches at boogie: yes and kind of, they were in a hurry to make loads and discounted prices
one on one coaches: yes

BNC@B: perfect
1on1C: good

Not sure what you mean here. If you mean landing pattern, no, not really.

How about seperation?
Most of my coaching was very early in learning to sitfly, so they were responsible for separation

When I can afford it, yes. I'm to the point where I can safely learn and experiment with sitflying, so I'm doing it on my own and with small groups.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Sky or tunnel?

Sky. With:
Chris Fiala (back in 2000. taught me to sit fly)
Adam Rosen (from 2001-till present. last coaching was in Feb 15 2004)
Heath Richardson
Stuey Newman

id they video your landings and give your proper canopy coaching also?

They all had video. Didn`t video my landings, because they were FF Coachings not landing coachings.

Yes. All of them. Always.

Great. I was the center of attentionB|

?? By pattern you mean landing pattern, or flight pattern, like in a tracking dive? If so, usually they do, but most of the times we are last out (unless other), or we`re jumping in my Home Dz where I`m the one use to the space. But, I guess you can say most of them do. Not at all times, though. Maybe that 1st jump w/them.

How about seperation?

Yep. Always breakoff at 4.5, 180, track away from each other, but not too much to get in other skydiver`s line of flight.

Every chance I get. Always will, and I recommend it to everyone. It`s the safest way, in my opinion!!!:P
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

You know they rock and are damn good at their sport.There method of teaching is second to none and they rule the european roost... and also considering they teach the sport in their second language ,you gotta give em credit.Depending on who you get,of course personalities may clash or you may feel you could of got more out of the jump....buts it like anything...the more you put in then the more you get out of it...

Ive just got back from the US after doing all my course´s and everytime I felt I needed more after a training jump... but it isn´t going to be handed on a silver platter...

By the way I still have the marks on my left nipple after you tried to bite it off in the surf inn last summer... :ph34r:

Jordy

edit: no personal attacks, even if they are in jest.~ Skymama

edit: no personal attacks, even if they are in jest.~ Skymama

Its not a personal attack...Piers is a mate of mine...

Im just stating fact... setting the slander wagon straight ... before it gets out of hand and someone gets the wrong impression of some of our Elite members of the sport.

I did. About 90 jumps. Most of 'm with BABYLON, but also with some Dutch and French flyers.

Sky or tunnel?
Sky only

No, but I did a canopy control course with Reinier in Empuriabrava. I really liked it and would recomend it to every skydiver.

Yes and contrary to other posters on this thread Im really content on this part. Everybody took more than enough time for briefings and debrief's.

Good. In my first 2 seasons of jumping I've seen framing improve but more probably this is related to the improvement of my own skills than the coach's .... :P

When the pattern was different than normal (other than usual wind direction etc.)

How about seperation?
Always!

Yes, at the beginning of each new season I'll take about 10 coachjumps to refresh, to take out possible bad habits developed in previous season and to improve.