cssriggers

Should main inspection be included with 120-day I&R?

The thread on the I&R checklist got me thinking about this.

From the many riggers I know, I've heard every response possible, from "Inspect & repack their main every I&R - if you don't, you're being negligent" to "make them take their main with 'em when they drop off their rig."

We discuss this often. On the one hand, we want to make sure everyone's gear is as safe as possible. On the other hand, when we inspect mains (including a full line trim check,) it takes some time, and we do charge for it, and consider it an extra service.

When we do an I&R, in addition to the H/C and reserve inspection, we also inspect the main risers, dbag and PC/bridle/kill line. We do not inspect the main canopy unless it's been requested, and we do verbally offer a main inspection with every I&R.

I'm interested in input from riggers on your current practices, as well as input from jumpers out there who have an opinion on this.

Thanks in advance.

-cssriggers
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

Back "in the day" when I first got into the sport, I used to leave my main along with my rig with the local DZ Loft/Store to have the main inspected along with the Reserve I&R; they used to inspect the main for an additional $5 and I have to believe that was an inspection sans a line trim check.

Once I got more comfortable with things and learned more about gear and what to look for, I felt comfortable not leaving my main when I turned my rig in for a Reserve I&R and I just kept an eye on my own main (i.e. gave it a once over inspection myself from time to time).

Now that I am myself a rigger, I don't think that turning in your Main for inspection with a Reserve I&R should be mandatory, but I'd do it for 5 bucks if soemone asked me to do it, but I'd also offer myself to show them what to look for when inspecting their own Main and if then in the future they wanted to do it themseleves and not give me their Main when I do a Reserve I&R for them... no sweat.

Knowlege is power.

:)

The thread on the I&R checklist got me thinking about this.

From the many riggers I know, I've heard every response possible, from "Inspect & repack their main every I&R - if you don't, you're being negligent" to "make them take their main with 'em when they drop off their rig."

We discuss this often. On the one hand, we want to make sure everyone's gear is as safe as possible. On the other hand, when we inspect mains (including a full line trim check,) it takes some time, and we do charge for it, and consider it an extra service.

When we do an I&R, in addition to the H/C and reserve inspection, we also inspect the main risers, dbag and PC/bridle/kill line. We do not inspect the main canopy unless it's been requested, and we do verbally offer a main inspection with every I&R.

I'm interested in input from riggers on your current practices, as well as input from jumpers out there who have an opinion on this.

Thanks in advance.

-cssriggers

If they leave the main with the rig, after I re-connect it, I ALWAYS run it out, check it and re-pack it. If they ask me to check the trim or anything else I charge for that, but I always hook the main back up, pack it and close the rig up (I also tell them I won't be offended if they want to repack it themselves).

I've heard some riggers say stuff about extra liability, BUT, if I'm confident enough to pack the reserve I'm sure as hell confident enough n my abilities to pack the main

2cents - no change (good thread Dawn!)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

We give out a one-page flyer on how to inspect a main to jumpers buying gear from us to encourage routine inspections. We also have it posted on our web site.

We don't require or perform main inspections for every reserve inspection/repack, but recommend inspections every 100 jumps or so. If a jumper wants us to pack the main, we charge $7, which includes a line continuity check, untwisting steering lines, replacing rubberbands and a "rigger's eye" while packing. For a "rings to pilot chute" inspection, we charge $20. This includes a full evaluation of the main with notes on wear. The canopy is hung up for stitching, fabric, cell and line inspection. Line trim and/or specs can be checked as well.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

When I inspect and repack a reserve for a customer, I won't necessarily do a full inspection of every main (unless I suspect a problem or am asked to do so). I do, however, hang up every main that comes through the loft. I have known a few people (riggers) that have hooked up a main backwards or inverted; unintentionally of course. While I am in the process of re-connecting the main, I will look over the main at no charge. I will charge $10 for a full inspection of the main (incl. trim check.)

J.

I was brought up in the sport to believe the main
is my problem. When I would drop off my rig for
repack I was told to keep my cuttaway handle and main. If I had a concern my rigger would inspect or
test anything I was concerned about. That being said it would seem some people in the sport today
don't even know how to pack their main let alone
inspect it for wear or defects.
If a rigger was to inspect and repack my main while
doing a reserve repack(air), I would be thrilled that
he/she would do it for an extra 5 bucks.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

As a customer, my expectations for the 120 day A,I&R on the reserve, & H/C. I do expect the rigger to lube my cutaway handle as part of that.

I always ask the rigger to inpect my main also for which I expect to pay $10.00 for. While I'm anal about pre-op maintenance... another set of eyes is always a good thing.

I charge $10 extra for a main inspection and repack. I just got my rating this year, and suggested people to get their main inspected once a year. On one of my main inspections, I found my best friends Velocity soft links hooked up wrong. That's scary to me. I always hooked my stuff up when I was a newbie, and never had any trouble, but I am also anal retentive, I guess that's why everyone wanted me to become a rigger. I would say that it's always good to have a second set of eyes look at your main, since it could prevent you from having to use your reserve some day. I have two saves to date, and if my people take care of their gear, and pack so perfect that I never have another save, that would be great!!!

Blue Skies,
Wags

Although I inspect my main, when I get my repack, I have asked my rigger to inspect it as well. I like an experienced set of eyes looking at my gear - just in case I missed something.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

After repacking the reserve, I re-connect the main and hand it to another staff member who packs the main. While re-connecting the main, I take a quick look at common wear points like: risers, slider, d-bag and bridle.
If they want a full main inspection, they should be prepared to pay $20 extra. And I encourage skydivers to get a full main inspection at least once a year.

As a customer, I believe that no matter what our level of experience is, it is safer to have the main inspected by a rigger from time to time. I know what I am doing but having someone checking it over is a plus. And of course, I happily pay the fee.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I pay $10 for a main inspection and repack every time I have the reserve repacked. It never hurts to have a 2nd pair of eyes looking at your stuff, and $10 is peanuts.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We do a courtesy inspection on any main that comes in with a rig to have an I&R done, included.

Basically, we hook it back up, check continuity (at the same time looking over the condition of the lines), then check the top skin for rips as we lay it out to rigger roll it and put it back in the bin.

This is as opposed to a complete MAIN INSPECTION which would include a fan inspection of each cell, line attachment point inspection, line inspection, etc...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

If the jumper leaves the main with me, I do a full inspection and repack for $10. I started that policy mostly because I got tired of all of storing main canopies while I was working on jumpers' gear, and $10 seems to be just enough that only people who really want the inspection leave their mains with me now.

If they want to learn how to inspect their own main, that's free. And I keep the cutaway handle regardless, so I can clean and inspect it.

Amy

I'm the front-desk girl at abusy loft, and here's what we do and charge for it:

$45 reserve I&R only -- customer keeps the main
$50 reserve I&R and pack main -- returned ready to jump
$55 reserve I&R, inspect and pack main -- returned ready to jump

honestly, most people go for the $55, especially if they reguarly use packers, and so aren't religiously inspecting their own main.

I have two saves to date, and if my people take care of their gear, and pack so perfect that I never have another save, that would be great!!!

I know you rigger types don't like to test your work
with real peoples lives.....but I have not had a reserve ride in over 300 jumps and if something don't go bad soon, I may have to cut a good one away. Can you say ghost plane!
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I am not a rigger. My understanding of the I & R is that the rigger is inspecting and maintaining the TSO'd components of the system. ( i.e. reserve container, harness, cutaway system. ) I would like to think that most skydivers have enough sense to LOOK at their main every once in a while. Untwist brake lines, check condition of bag, pilot chute, grommets, links, risers etc... and if they see a problem bring it to their riggers attention.

Thanks for all of the input!

From some people in the industry, we'd been led to believe that a main inspection with every I&R was (or should urgently become) common practice -- some have even suggested a free main inspection with every repack. (Maybe for liability? I'm not sure.)

We'd never hesitate to help out anyone in need, nor compromise safety - at all, in any way. (Ask me to fully inspect and repack your main; I'll charge you $20. Want to learn? Ask me to spend time with you to show you how to inspect your main, what to look for in the future, and how to check line continuity -- I'll probably do it for free.)

However, we believe two things:

1. This is a grown-up sport and there needs to be some personal accountability. Even if you always pay a packer, you need to know & understand your gear and how to take care of it.

2. Riggers are professionals who should be compensated for their time and knowledge.

Your posts have confirmed these two beliefs.

Thanks.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

I have two saves to date, and if my people take care of their gear, and pack so perfect that I never have another save, that would be great!!!

I know you rigger types don't like to test your work
with real peoples lives.....but I have not had a reserve ride in over 300 jumps and if something don't go bad soon, I may have to cut a good one away. Can you say ghost plane!

Why would you consider cutting away a good canopy?:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I don't do civilian rigging for a living, only packing my own gear and for a few friends.

Whenever I do an I&R, I always cut away the main, clean/lube the cutaway cables, service the main risers, and give the main a courtesy inspection.

Of course, I always give my own gear a tune up at repack time if it needs it.

I don't think the main inspection at I&R should be mandated by the FAA, but we can solce the neglect problem through education - speaking up when we see someone neglecting their stuff.

A small example is stow bands. I see some folks with worn out rubber bands on their d-bag who double-wrap them because they no longer hold the stow effectively. I am quick to point out that if the (previously properly sized) stow band is no longer holding the stow, it is worn out and should be replaced. Just because it's not broken doesn't mean it's not worn out. I reinforce my point by pointing out how cheap rubber bands are . . . well worth replacing them before they fail to do their job when you ned them. :)
Arrive Safely

John

Thanks for all of the input!

From some people in the industry, we'd been led to believe that a main inspection with every I&R was (or should urgently become) common practice -- some have even suggested a free main inspection with every repack. (Maybe for liability? I'm not sure.)

We'd never hesitate to help out anyone in need, nor compromise safety - at all, in any way. (Ask me to fully inspect and repack your main; I'll charge you $20. Want to learn? Ask me to spend time with you to show you how to inspect your main, what to look for in the future, and how to check line continuity -- I'll probably do it for free.)

However, we believe two things:

1. This is a grown-up sport and there needs to be some personal accountability. Even if you always pay a packer, you need to know & understand your gear and how to take care of it.

2. Riggers are professionals who should be compensated for their time and knowledge.

Your posts have confirmed these two beliefs.

Thanks.

I always have a main I&R done at reserve repack time, although I don't dispute your accountability theory.

I simply believe that having another (trained) pair of eyes looking over my stuff three times a year is a damn good idea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've heard some riggers say stuff about extra liability, BUT, if I'm confident enough to pack the reserve I'm sure as hell confident enough n my abilities to pack the main

Yep and if I couldn't trust someone to pack my main I sure as hell wouldn't let him/her close to my reserve.