Mush

WOT no helmet

First of all I wear a helmet on most jumps and would strongly recommend wearing one. Occassionally I will jump without one on Hop & pops. We do a lot of them where I come from. But to answer some of your questions on what to expect when jumping without a helmet, here goes.

1. Freefall will be an awful lot louder, so much so that you might not hear your audible.
2. Your head will take a hell of lot more buffetting during freefall. I've come down from jumps without a helmet thinking my head has just been through a spin dryer and it can take a little bit for your sinuses to sort themselves out. Whether these factors can hamper your judgement and co-ordination during emergency procedures, I really can't say.
3. Watch where you put your head. Easy to knock your head against the wing of a porter. My helmets have enough scratches to prove that one or maybe that's just me being careless.
4. Lastly, there are so many other unforseen situations where a helmet can be a real benefit. Aircraft emergencies, bad landings, offdropzone landings, the list goes on and on. Just because the last 50 jumps all went smoothly and you had nice standup landing doesn't mean the same will happen next time.

So all in all I would recommend always wearing a helmet, but being familiar with the feeling of jumping without one is also an excellent idea. I've seen helmets come off in freefall and although it's not a situation that would make most people panic, it's still helpful to be familiar with the feeling.

Be safe!
;)

In Holland you need to wear a helmet (and a jumpsuit consisting of 1 piece, no seperate shirt/pants) untill you have your C licence. No ecceptions...

You can also wear a frap hat after your A, but you have to wear SOMETHING, and for Freefly a hard helmet is mandatory regardless of licence.
The one-piece suit is also untill your A only.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Sorry, but IMO if you jump REGULARLY without a helmet you are asking for trouble whether you're jumping with other people or not. I had my canopy collapse on jump no 50ish. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet things would have been so much worse. Why not use all available protection you can get ? cos you want to feel the wind in your hair ? ...please.