michaelflying

sitfly

I know that there are most likely MANY threads on this (and I WILL go look for them), but I have trouble holding my sit for more than about 5-7 seconds at most. I think I'm needing to relax more. Andy, when the heck are you going to give a me a clue? :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Keep practicing, you'll get it:) Are you jumping with a more experienced flyer? It really helps a lot! You can see what they are doing, and they can tell you later what you're doing. Just make sure if you fly with someone else that you get into a ball if you're gonna cork until you can gain stability again. And, until you can stay in a sit the whole time, you probably want to just jump with one other person who can maneuver themselves well and get out of your way if need be.

I am sure you'll get lots of help from experienced people. I am still trying to stop orbiting and tweek things here n there. I have seen some awesome flyers, and I think it'd take me another 200 jumps just sitting to get as good as i'd like to be. .. maybe more.

Angela

Yeah, that's my plan, to jump with one of our DZ's freeflyers who really knows what he's doing. I've been pestering him for tips, and he's been quite helpful with his advice. You're right, however, that I need to have him jump with me and watch me jump to see what I'm doing wrong. B|
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

Yeah, I am going to do some solos this wknd to try to do cartwheels. I wonder how much actual progress i'll be able to make before I need to have someone jump with me and give me tips. Not much, quite likely:P Sunnydee had mentioned coach jumps not too long back, saying that she'd tried it on her own and that a coach jump helps trememdously. I hope to be able to cough up some $$ for that next month:o)

Update on your progress and what helped you. All help is good help for me, still, too. :)

angela.

[QUOTE]I know that there are most likely MANY threads on this (and I WILL go look for them), but I have trouble holding my sit for more than about 5-7 seconds at most. I think I'm needing to relax more. Andy, when the heck are you going to give a me a clue?[/QUOTE]

Hey Kevin, merry christmas to you and Cora. I hope you guys are having a good one.

About the sitfly. There's two things you'll want to do before freeflying (imho at least).

1) go over your whole rig and make sure its "freefly friendly". This means theres no flaps, covers, etc that will blow open while doing high speed transitions while freeflying. You know who would be a great person to grab when he's not busy is Stephen Lee. Also Dave in the gear store would be another really knowledgeable source (I think he even posts on here).

2) talk with a coach about what you need to be thinking about when getting into a sit for your first couple tries. There's a lot of habits that you can get into if youre trying to just "figure it out" that can end up being counter productive in the end! Again Stephen Lee would be an awesome person to talk to about working on freeflying.

Hope that helps! I'll talk to you next time I'm out there about it more. Like I said, it's really fun!

B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I learned how to sit fly by accident. I tried and tried to sit fly and every time I'd wobble and/or spin out of control.

So one day I'm just screwing around doing slow front flips and I over rotated and landed right on my feet right into a perfect sitfly. It felt as stable as ever. I could even stand straight up and do the "I surrender" pose and haul some serious ass. For a while I could only sit fly by doing an over rotated font flip into it. It's still my favorite way to transfer into any freeflying position. Or a sideways flip... I think they call that a corkscrew or something?

I learned so much jumping with this dude John I met today. He has 1,000+ jumps and his tips and critiques helped improve my freeflying skills big time! I can sit fly with my hands in front of me now instead of way behind me, and my headdown is totally improved. I fall like 20x faster now. I can seriously feel all the skin on my face wiggle around... lol it's great. B| Before I was flying super slow with my legs as wide as they could go. John just told me to breathe and it seemed to work wonders. :)
I feel way more relaxed in the air now and I'm freeflying better than before. Relaxation seems to be the key. Ah, gotta love freeflying. B|

------------------------
Freefly, baby.

Actually, before I read your suggestions, I had already been talking with Dave and Stephen about it. Stephen really helped me get an idea of what I need to do to get started. I've been able to hold it longer with their advice, but I'm nowhere near where I would like to be. At least I've gone from holding it for 5-6 seconds to holding it for 12-15 seconds at a time. I'm still too stiff in the upper body. Stephen says that when he gets a moment, he'll go out with me to see what I'm doing. I'm also hoping Brian will be able to video some of my jumps so I can watch and see what I'm neglecting or over-doing.

For now, I'll just have to keep practicing what Stephen and Dave have explained to me and hope that I get the hang of it in 40-50 more jumps. B|