Malfunction

Pro Series canopies

I have been jumping a ProSeries 135 for numerous years now. I have been to tons of DZ's, yet my ProSeries is the only one I have EVER seen. I have read that a few people have jumped them. Does anyone have any feedback on these canopies? It is now my second main behind my Stilletto (I don't think I need to justify that), but there are a lot of people at my DZ that won't use my ProSeries even to wipe their @ss.

Anyone have thoughts about this canopy? I don't think it is THAT bad of a canopy, but others seem to think it is the bane of all jumpers.

Sorry to any FCI reps that read this, but this is the general pulse of the Midwest toward this main.[:/]

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Reviews would seem to indicate a sound enough canopy but nothing particularly noteworthy.
I didnt find anything negative either. Sounds like a Volvo to me ;)

This seems to be priced a bit lower than some of the more popular canopies but is still too expensive for me to consider wiping my ass with it B|

FCI suffers from when it was Glide Path.

GP made a really great canopy called the NOVA. It was great until it collapsed and killed you. (Think about it...A NOVA is a star that collapses on itself, and in spanish it means "no go").

NOVAS killed a few people, then the company grounded them all and then came back and said they were fine to jump...Then the closed up shop and FCI opened the next day at the same location, and made the same canopies (minus the NOVA).

Then FCI said they would give you 50% off an Esprit for your old NOVA. The Esprit...really sucked. If a canopy comes from the factory with a pocket slider....Well think about it.

Now FCI makes some good canopies IMO...The Startrac and Sharpchutter are great for Demos. The Prodigy(?) was a great CRW canopy.

But they never did seem to get high performance canopies right.

Many people will not jump them since the NOVA...Others just don't like the products.

The Pro I have never jumped and will not make any comments about them. But with the history, I will not go out of my way to try one either.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah, the FCI Pro Series. (Flight Concepts Int).

I only had one issue with it, but that was because the Vector I had it in had loose PC Spandex and the damn PC slipped out while doing a teeter-totter jump. (We took out a 'Triple Ride Rocker' from a 206 for my 200th jump, we hit 160 mph...with a pc attached to the center of the teeter-totter for stability) I had a few bruises from the opening, but it wasn't the canopies fault. It just isn't made to open at 160...
I saw the lines out of my perifial (sp) vision and thought... 'um, shit' WHAM!

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

The Skydiving Club at Georgia Tech has a couple Pro 170's that are used as the upper rung of the student canopy progression. The Manta 260's come first, then the Fury 220's, and then down to the Pro. A number of people have started off on club gear to learn good canopy techniques, and then moved on to other personal gear after they got some experience. In that capacity, I thought the Pro's worked great. It opens softly without jumping around. It's easy to pack, fly, and land, and is forgiving when trying to learn. You won't win any swoop competitions with it, but it's a great all-around canopy.

Matt

I jumped a Pro 170 last night (loaded about 1.0) as a favor for a friend who just bought a used one for $500, including container, I believe. My usual main is a Stilettto 135.

The canopy was a dog, even when l think back and compare it to Sabres, Triathlons, and even plain PDs that l've recently jumped in the 170 size range.

Hanging on the front risers didn't even help much...on the other hand, it was so docile, a low time jumper would really have to try hard to screw up a landing on it...easy flare, dead on spot landing (tapped the button with my heel...), and nothing I could do would make the canopy misbehave at all.

I'd never buy one, but I'd recommend them to newer jumpers nervous about canopies...this one was just _too_ well behaved. I'd call it boring, but different strokes for different folks.