dhammons

Mals on Cobalts?

I'd like to address a few different points that've come up in this discussion.

Regarding the comment that "The causes of malfunctions on any canopy are
1 unstability at pull time
2 poor packing
3 worn out gear ",
The canopy type *is* a factor. Generally, highly loaded and or eliptical canopies are going to have a higher malfunction rate than others.
So far, that seems to be an unavoidable fact of canopy design, regardless of the particular brand.

Historically, their have been canopies that malfunctioned at unusually high rates.

I'm not aware of any canopy on the market right now that has an exceptionally bad track record of malfunctioning, so the point about not blaming the canopy is still basically valid.

Regarding the comment about people cutting away due to the 2 stage openings on Cobalts: That's not the fault of the canopy, it's ignorance on the part of the jumper. Didn't anyone brief them on what to expect?

Finally, I've been jumping Cobalts for a few years now, and absolutely love how they fly.
I'm a small time dealer for them, but I'm not in it for the money.

I've found the openings to be really nice overall, but not quite as consistent as advertised - especially at first. The comment about openings improving after a few jumps are dead on, and you do need to use a small pilot chute.
I've had one cutaway due to linetwists that extended below the steering toggles. Incidentally, the cutaway was difficult, and I now recomend hard riser inserts to all!

At any rate, the common denominator between my cutaway and a few others around the same time was a new packer.
Previously, I'd had line twists on my 95 a few times, yet it was easy to kick out of them and less radical than on my old Stiletto 120.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Just to add to the mix ... number 2 of the 4 that my friend has had within a month and a half was a Cypres save.

He has concluded that him and his Cobalt are not a good match. :(

----------------------------------------------------
"Never eat more than you can lift!" Miss Piggy
"Never fall faster than your Guardian Angel can fly."

I heard some cutaway a PD stilleto this weekend due to spinning mal----No one should ever jump those canopies they are bad----
No offense PD just had to use the stilletto for the nick name spinetto. Everyone has heard the name and knows that any canopy can have a spining mal so why does Cobalt appear so much in this forum?

I guess Cobalts are the only canopy that malfunctions these days---Sure wish I had a 105 for my second rig!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Does opening in a track make a significant difference in the opening characteristics of the Cobalt? My ADD prevented me from remembering to do this when I demoed one a few weeks ago-I put 6 jumps on it and I actually liked the way it flew and landed but the openings were more than a little disconcerting.
I had it loaded at about 1.2 as Cobalt suggests for a novice.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....