FreeflyGoat

Freefly Tip Of The Day

...only too late...

Too late for what?

I've been schooled by people with half my skill. Strange way to put it but it's true. They know moves I wouldn't have thought of. In fact, people that I've coached in the past have returned the favor later in their career.

AD #28
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Too late for what?

Too late for it not to be really hard to correct stuff that you think is right cuz that's what you have been doing for the last few hundred jumps thinking it was correct. Only to to get a coach jump and find out what you have been doing is sliding across the sky. Why not just learn it correctly with a few coach jumps and be able practice knowing how it should be performed because you got correct instruction.

I did a move for the last 1000 jumps and after getting a coach jump last year I found out the correct way to do it. It made it much smother and made way better sense. I wish I would have gotten a coach jump on that move 1000 jumps ago.

Dude, Goat, what happened to 'better late than never'? How's the new locale? Are ya jumpin?
D.J.

Better late than never always applies. :)
Haven't jumped in Atlanta yet. Waiting to buy my new rig. Going to Colorado to work for a couple of weeks ;)

Yup...agree on that one! Made 13 solo headdown "attempts" only to do my first coach jump and realize sometimes what you THINK is saving money, really isn't....and what you think is headdown, really isn't.

COACHING ROCKS....suck it up and pay - you won't regret it!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

My FFTOTD: Don't think about what you're doing. It'll make you fly soooooooooo much better. B|

I think there's a time to do jumps where you don't think about what you're doing. But, to leave your brain out of the equation all of the time is ridiculous.

A baby learns to walk without a bunch of overanalysis. So, certainly trying something new to yourself, like putting a single hand out in front (in prep for a dock), and allowing your body to intuitively "learn" and counter the air pressures is beneficial.

However, being on the ground, and analyzing your jumps on video DOES teach you something about what you're doing. And taking that knowledge in the air with you on the next jump is extremely beneficial.

When my teammate and I were working on headdown cartwheels, we did huge amounts of analysis on our techniques. Our ultimate goal (achieved) was to be able to do docked triple cartweels. I haven't seen anyone else do these. Without that analysis, I don't think we would have gotten as far as we did.

If you have a desire to see a docked triple cartwheel:

Click on the Video button on this page (quicktime required):
http://www.ozonejunkies.com/tricks/colonrobber/colon_htm/trick_colonrobber.htm

www.ozonejunkies.com

I think there's a time to do jumps where you don't think about what you're doing. But, to leave your brain out of the equation all of the time is ridiculous.

Whoa, somebody call the overanalyzation police!! :PB| (Damn that was a big word!!)

J/K

What I meant was don't focus on "well to move this way I need to move my legs this way" and stuff like that. I didn't mean leave the brain out of the equation. B|

BTW, docked triple cartwheels? Holy shit on a stick dude, that's SWEET. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Sure, there is such thing as overanaly... yeah, what you said ;)

But, say, you know that when you're going for a one-hand dock while headdown, that you end up turning/carving, it's nice to know why that's happening and fix it. But once something is intuitive, then yes, you don't think about that aspect anymore.

I still like the analogy of a child learning to walk, but I think we're at a potential advantage if we can do both - those jumps where you "let it happen" and those where you do inject your brain into the equation. Look at RW teams. A lot of thinking goes into their training and jumps. Freeflying is no different.

But once something is intuitive, then yes, you don't think about that aspect anymore.

That's what I originally meant. :P

I still like the analogy of a child learning to walk, but I think we're at a potential advantage if we can do both - those jumps where you "let it happen" and those where you do inject your brain into the equation.

Well said!!! B|

So, uh, can you just transfer your ability to to those docked triple cartwheels over to me telepathically so I won't have to spend 10 years flailing to do them??? B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

*** So, uh, can you just transfer your ability to to those docked triple cartwheels over to me telepathically so I won't have to spend 10 years flailing to do them??? B|

It's like learning anything. You do it in stages. Singles, doubles, triples, docked singles, doubles, triples. You learn to put the pieces together.

btw, don't know if you saw any of the other tricks on our site - there's the one where we both do a single docked cartwheel at the same time. We've actually, once, hit a double at the same time. And (this one looks really nice), we've hit a move (called "the blind-eel meal") where we both do double docked cartwheels, but they're offset. Adam starts his double, when he's thru his first cartwheel, I start my double. So he finishes his double, and I have one cartwheel left in my double. Looks really cool :)

We're still after the elusive "blind-eel meal with flies" - offset docked triples :o

Quote:

my tip: eat a healthy breakfeast... not only will it give you energy for the day it can be TASTY too!

-yoshi

My two cents:

dude! not to mention a packed lunch: two peanut butter and honey sandwiches, a bananna and an apple, that shit's like rocket fuel ;)

ps. ape-raper? :S ROFL!!!!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

there any tips on preventing newbies corking?

Newbies cork. That's what they do.

Do tons of solos and cork away! Really learn what it feels like to start to get out of control and then CORK like crazy - and learn what you have to to do get back up to speed. Instead of always trying to stop yourself from corking - which makes you fly rigid and tense - let yourself go.

I stress to do this only on solos.

While you're at it, tumble and flip, too. It's fun and you learn alot. :)

edited: when you're ready to do 2-ways and need to not cork - ianmdrennan's tip is key.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

dude!! You are fricken sooo right!! I sucked pretty bad then realized that I was wearing clear goggles - I got some red ones, then I fricken kicked ass!!! Why stop there, I thought. I watched some pros and noticed that the ones that wore sunglasses were even better, so I switch the goggles for sunglasses and my skills grew once again. Then , I heard that chuck taylors(shoes) had freefly skill enhancing properties so I picked some up. Let me tell you, the difference is night and day - I cant believe that I could even stay on my head before I had chucks - simply amazing;)
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."