SkydiveNFlorida

Freefly clothing questions...

I'm just learning to sit fly... I would like to get some ff pants, but are these mostly for when you do head down? I jumped in a baggy pair of pants and tight top the other day and it was not as easy as when I have tight pants on, but still manageable. Is it too early for me to be getting ff pants while still learning sit?

When I do get ff pants, I want something that doesn't make me float too much. I'm fairly light, and need to go fast. I would also like something with cool designs. I saw a chick at my dz with ladybugs all over her ff pants, those were cute/original. :p I would also like something that sits on my hips, not my waist, is that possible?

Anyone have pix of their ff pants or jumpsuits?

Thanks!
Angela.

I'm real sure that FireFly could make up what ever you dream for a design on the sides and make it out of faster material so you don't float too bad.

When people ask me what to wear when they're learning hot to sit fly, I always tell them to wear shorts and a baggy long sleeve t-shirt (hockey jearsy, whatever).

When I got my FMC jumpsuit, I damn near had to take a couple jumps to relearn how to sitfly. It had so much drag on the legs that it keep flipping me over. Once I got used to it, it was a non-issue, it just took some getting used to.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Got to go with Aggie Dave, just wear shorts and a long sleeve shirt to learn in. I'm just "starting over" to correct things that I learned wrong by myself and I have a full suit. We always want to look as professional as we can and sometimes forget that it's what we learn thats most important. Wait to get a suit or pants until you have the basics down solid, then you know how to speed your fall rate up as needed and you may want something different than you think you need now. Good luck!!! Fly safe!!

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

Be aware when you do buy something. I jumped the gun my first season freeflying and bought a pair of Michgan freefly pants right off the rack. I realized shortly after that they were WAY too baggy to learn in. They are okay now that I know what I'm doing, but they still slow me down a lot.

I like Firefly pants. They're pretty hot and everyone I know who has them loves them. I also like BirdMan's freefly pantz.

I recently bought a Firefly jumpsuit, I got the 2 piece which I am really loving. They have the option for 'at the waist' or 'hip huggers' for the pants part. I got the hip huggers which are awesome. They can also custom make any suit for you. I am a light jumper too so I have VERY little drag. I asked for it to be a fast suit and only one layer. I definitely go faster then I did in my other suit which was too baggy for my size and my feet don't pop up anymore. I don't know if you can find a picture of the Sugar Gliderz suits but you will notice that they have very little drag on their suits.
To start out with I recommend fitting pants with the bungees at the bottom to keep them down and a long sleeve shirt. Have fun!! ;)

Chrissy

~La La Gang Member #2~

I never did any freeflying but I'm going to try it. And I'm just going in a pair of jogging trousers and a longsleeve sweater. I'll be able to tighten or loosen the ends with elastics and I've made my own colour design.
I'm going to make it myself so if it doesn't work for freeflying I'll still have a nice jogging suit B| for on the dropzone.

Good luck and let me know what is nice to do.

As a very general rule, drag is only useful for 2 things.

1. Assistance in holding a certain orientation - drag on legs helps keep you inverted, drag on arms helps keep you upright.

2. Assistance with fall rate - if you're big and fall fast, drag will slow you down.

The reason you don't see many freefly teams with baggy suits is because they can fly their bodies and are generally well-suited as far as fall rate.

My own opinion is make sure you learn to fly your body. If you get a suit, make it tight. That way you'll be able to use it longer (when you don't need the drag for assistance), and you won't have to fight the extra drag when learning what your body feels like in the air.

:)cute factor:
You can buy "hanging out on the DZ" pants from almost any of the manufacturers - hiphuggers, great color, no stupid velcro ankles, etc. But for efficient flying, new floaty little FF chicks should not be wearing drag.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks everyone! I think i'll wait a bit longer in buying ff clothes. I have been jumping mostly in tanks and tight bottoms or semi-loose bottoms, i've been told it is a good thing as my sit will be more stable if I can do it without drag on my arms. Still, it'd be nice to have cool jump gear! :p

Thanks! I'll probly give firefly a go when I am ready.
Angela.

>>I realized shortly after that they were WAY too baggy to learn in<<

Couldnt you just have someone take them in some? One of my floaty biatch friends just had the legs on his suit taken in a bit, and it's made a pretty big difference. But then again, it's scary thinking about where your pants would be while you werent looking - I've seen some pretty scary pictures over there - poor Sporto:S Do it yourself if you could sew, or dont let them leave your site:P
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

Hey you.....the suggestion I got when I started, and I am for the most part about the same size as you, was to try shorts and baggy top. If you remember seeing me "back in the day", I wore my little capri pants (more comfy with rig then shorts) and a long sleeve shirt and it worked great - seriously. I tried baggy bottoms at first and it didn't feel right, not until I understood what I should be feeling and where. This was the winning combo for me and I got my sit down pat.....

Don't be in a rush to buy something until you get the technique down and understand how your body flies - THEN pay the cash. You see my new suit, it doesn't have drag all over cause I know I fall a bit slow already. But then again, I am also learning more and more each time I jump and am getting stronger in my legs for speed adjustments.

Good stuff...be patient!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...