SkyOCiel

How many Jumps to get a sit?

Thats a tough one as many of the really experienced freeflyers (myself not included) on this website will tell you. It is different for everyone. One thing I can say is that coaching with a good flyer will put you way ahead of the curve and more importantly keep you from developing bad/unsafe habits that can be hard to get rid of further on down the line.

One thing I can say is that coaching with a good flyer will put you way ahead of the curve and more importantly keep you from developing bad/unsafe habits that can be hard to get rid of further on down the line.

My first Sit jump , was a coached jump to get the basics, amd make sure i was safe.

i did about 6 jumps so far, and i can almost maintain the position the entire jump, but i have very little control over it.:S

Live the sky
S-

That is good. Also you can develop habits, i.e. backsliding, without being aware of it. That is why, if you can afford it, it is good to do coach jumps fairly often. In addition to coach jumps, you should try to do as many two-ways as you possibly can (assuming that you and the other person are safe according to an instructor, organizer or other experienced flyer).Safety is always the first concern, don't forget that.

BTW, I am not trying to tell people what to do, I just had to learn some of these things the hard way; luckily no one was hurt in the process.:ph34r:

I was able to sit stable without moving or anything after about 10-15 tries... I suppose after about 50 or so i could move around and vary fall rate, and after 100 or so sit jumps I could dock, transition, move all around, and feel very comfy flying with several other people in a sit...
it will vary for everyone though...if you jump with people who are better than you will prob learn a bit faster...also get as much video as possible to se what you are doing, its a great tool

-yoshi

Do some freestyle type maneuvres to get used to being out of control. Flips front and back, Spins both directions. Try pushing your feet straight down, straighten your body then lean back to start some layout back flips.... (be prepared to flail)

I've seen your rig and it's all freefly friendly so it's time to go OFF!!! Flip out of the plane stop in a fast position, on your back, sitting, however it is that you can control. Go nuts!!! it's fun and will boost your confidense.

Once you're in a sit, if you happen to start losing your balance, use that energy to flip all the way over. Don't fight it just go with it.

Typical time frame to learn control?.. who knows.

That's a good start.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

started out in Perris - did 5 jumps in a row and nailed it. the next few jumps i did with friends I was stable stationary and started to try controling horizontal movement. I was very current at the time though as it was in the middle of a 2 week skydiving holiday.

I havent tried it since untill a couple of weekends ago when found I had lost all my skills. Now Im trying to regain the solid stability I had.

If you want to learn - do a lot of jumps in a short time to master the core skills - its a lot better than a couple of jumps a week.

Best advice ... get good coaching! It will speed your learning curve way up. I jump at a small cessna DZ. I soloed (sitfly) a lot after tandems and such during the week. I had it after 4-5 attempts. Then some days I'd freak on my butt! Doh! After about 100 sit jumps I can safely say I can sitfly well. I can turn, speed up, slow down, dock, etc. All without "thinking". :D

Now if I could learn to fly head down! (too broke for coach jumps!) [:/]

i only have 70 jumps, and i just started to sit, or should i say to try to sit:$

i am curious on how long does it generally take to get stable in a sit , and then to control it?

Everyone is different.

I've seen a basic sit position - holding still obtained in as few as five jumps. I've seen it take much longer. It took me much longer.

total control in a sit? I'll wager that no one in this forum will claim they have that. Some of us are happy with what we can do, but we all know there's far more to go.

I'm talking about being a head up diver and taking a stinger slot on a head down base. Or a head up AD B. A handfull in the world right now might be flying at that level. An AD D? Not many at all, and definitely not without a lot of training for it.

Took me about 60 to get the basics, forward, backwards, rotation, and loose the cork to belly instinct, about another 300 to get to the point where I could really move around sideways control fall rate etc. and there is still a way to go.

Coach jumps will help a lot, once you get the basics get a jump buddy with a similar skill level and do loads and loads of 2 ways together, once I started doing this I found that my progress really increased a lot and I ended up with a lifelong partner ;)

Thank you all for all the advice !!

i did practise some of it this week end and it was a lot of fun B|

i was told that until i have good control of the sit i should only jump with very experience freeflyer, and at the same time that i should jump with somebody of my skill level.

which one is it ? any idea/comments ?

live the sky
S-

experienced freeflyer all the way. You'll learn faster, they'll (hopefully) help you more and with a bit of luck you'll get some vid from the whole deal.

Remember, freeflying brings with it far greater dangers (faster closing distance for example) than rw for those learning. Stay WELL WITHIN your limits - jump with those who can teach, as well as avoid, you.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'd be happy to jump with you this weekend if I get a chance. I'm not as good as Simon (and I can't even DREAM about being as good as Tim) but I can stay with you, check out your body position, and give you a little feedback. Also, see if you can get Renaud or Phlip to go out with you, as the video will definitely help out in analyzing your flying.

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Thank you all for all the advice !!

i did practise some of it this week end and it was a lot of fun B|

i was told that until i have good control of the sit i should only jump with very experience freeflyer, and at the same time that i should jump with somebody of my skill level.

which one is it ? any idea/comments ?

live the sky
S-

Its a saftey thing that you should only jump with people that know where to stay relative to somone who is new and learning and who can avoid you if you cork.

I flop to my side or back a bit... so being above me would suck, newer jumper would have a harder time avoiding me when I pop up.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

That's like ..

Child" How many licks does it take to get, to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop.

Mr Owl: lets see... uh 1...2 hoo.... thrrrdddeeee... Thrrddeee....
:P

Nice work on the sit!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

5!!!!!:o
Well now i really feel great since i did about 10 and i am definetly not in full control:S

Live the sky
S-

Yeah, don't feel bad, I am on my 7th sit attempt and I can't hold it very long. Few Seconds is the best that I can do. I think I held it like a 1000 feet once.

*goes and practices*
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka