Caseadilla

Forward and Backward Movement in Sit

I personally prefer to fly with my legs, pushing forward with them to go forward, and cupping them back a couple inches towards my butt to go back. I find this a good way to cover distance quickly if you wanna go fast, and it's great for minor corrections too. Just remember to slow down!! :ph34r: Hope I could help!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Im still trying to figure out what works best for me, but from what i've learned so far for minor corrections ill use my feet point my toes down to go forward and heels down to go back. if im really trying to cover distance ill lean back but when you do that your creating more surface area so its gonna slow you down, so you need to compensate with your legs leaning forward to go back doesnt really work since you just get caught in the burble from your legs

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Movement is all in the hips. By pushing your hips forward you lay your back out into the relative wind which creates forward movement, or backward movement if you pull your hips back which pulls your chest into the relative wind.

The trick is that you create drag whenever you create movement so you have to push your legs down more (all relative to the amount of drive you're trying to create) to compensate and stay on levels.

A lot of folks learning to sit have a tendency to lean forward and sweep their arms back. This can allow you to fall down the tube, but severly limits your ability to move around the sky. You do not want to be dependant on your arms, instead you want them free to take whatever grips you choose.

The 3 most common things I see in students are:
1) Chest forward
2) Knees high (they think they're at 90 degrees but they are higher)
3) Legs together.

Work on keeping your torso straight, your legs nice and wide and your knees slightly below 90 degrees and you are on your way to a great sit.

Blue skies and good luck,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I find that moving my pelvis forward thus angling my back into the relative wind behind me pushes me forward with a great rate, the opposite to backslide.

Take a look at this.

http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/aug00/headup4.htm

I really found that flying more with your pelvis rather than legs and arms frees those wings to be doing other things - thus allowing one to become a more proficent flyer.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --