D22369

Olav?

I never thought of it that way. You're right, it was military SCHOOL rules, not military, and yes, freefly would have been very impractical for them. I can see clearly now, the rain has gone...... :P Thanks for the new view. Oh, and also, thanks again for sending me that vid of the Birdman Pantz in action, I'll be putting in my order for a pair of freefly Pantz this winter. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

thanks again for sending me that vid of the Birdman Pantz in action, I'll be putting in my order for a pair of freefly Pantz this winter.

NOICE! you won't be sorry;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So how much does the freefly version of those enhance your leg power head down anyway? I've heard they'll slow you down nicely, and give you a more rigid surface on the legs, but personally, on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate them for head down work??

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

So how much does the freefly version of those enhance your leg power head down anyway? I've heard they'll slow you down nicely, and give you a more rigid surface on the legs, but personally, on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate them for head down work??

My personal opinion is that they help give you the drive of a daffy without having to daffy. I went from spread out to daffy and back and had really good leg power in them doing both. Of course I don't have a Dolphin award so I technically don't know what I'm doing ;) I'd say they work for me on a scale of about a 8-9 for HD. They absolutely SMOKE for tracking. just check the thread in the wingsuit forum for others feedback on them.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

2. It has nothing to do with pride and It has nothing to do with trying to regulate anything. There is no application in true military operations for freeflying. HALO operations or Skydiving is a means of infiltration, nothing more. Flying in any position other than belly to earth with all that equipment on would be insane and counterproductive. The GK's are Military service members but the stuff they do is not the epitome of what Military Airborne operations entail.

No application? Perhaps not. At one time it was thought that freefall had no military application.

Freeflying increases your overall awareness and power in the sky. Something goes wrong with all that gear and maybe freefly skills could help?

To the true freeflyer there is no such thing as an "unstable body" position. Seems like that might make a difference to a military freefaller.

He's decided to compete for germany again. Since he was competing for the states, he has to get his license cleared which means no competition for a few years. that's probably why he's not in the main stream anymore....

As for what's happening in europe, I have done a lot of flying with nils from the funkflyz and these guys rock. Aria and babylon are really on top of tehir game too... Yes indeed it's going to be an very nice world event where these guys just push the limit of what they can do with their bodies in the air.

There is a 'new style' of flying growing which I found is a mix of every thing. Over the days where you just spent the whole dive on your belly or on your head. Mix it up !!! so much more fun to explore angles and find power in every position... I feel like I'm only starting exploring all of this but it's so exciting...

Freefly rules.

take it easy,

Paddy.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Freeflying increases your overall awareness and power in the sky. Something goes wrong with all that gear and maybe freefly skills could help?

To the true freeflyer there is no such thing as an "unstable body" position. Seems like that might make a difference to a military freefaller

I understand why one would think that but given your response I will guess that you've never jumped Military HALO gear. When one is weighed down with a 100 lb rucksack between their legs, weapon, O2 mask and a rig that makes most tandems look small in the middle of night, the last thing anyone will be doing is FF. When your ruck sack shifts and your in an constant right/left hand turn, all you want to do is make it stop and fly flat and happy. If what your trying to suggest is that having skills will make it easier if something does go amiss then yes, it might help. However, the military isn't going to waste the time or money on teaching people how to FF, especially when it is harder to do then falling on ones stomach. For the military it's about getting to the fight and nothing more.To do that all one has to do is fall flat and happy and pull. You get no bonus points on the ground if you and your buddy pulled off a spock;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Golden Knights have a FF team.

See my post above. They are not the epitome of Military Airborne operations. No one FFs, 4 ways,8 ways or styles into combat.

Edited to add: I know they have a FF team among other things. I jump at Raeford and know several of them.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ROFL - man you don't remember back in Nam when we did that hybrid into battle? ;);)

HEY, easy now...that's still classified. Besides, if you don't have the video , it didn't happen;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

DOH - they are after me now for sure. Please step away from the monitor as this message will self distruct in 5 seconds.

BTW - I just saw those pics from what I think is your home DZ (It was pics of four other people and yourself). THAT PLACE LOOKS LIKE IT ROCKS THE HOUSE MAN!!!!!!!!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

He must be a nice fellow-
When told about my dog -Olav Zipster- (not Zipser) by Scotty & Tami Carbone-

He laughed very much, so I appreciate not being involved in a TM problem. B|

Id still like to jump with myself, Olav and Olav. :P

~AirAnn~

I've only been around him a few times, the last of which was sometime in june at skydive palm beach (which is still around dispite rumors, it was skydive america that closed down, and from what I hear, rightfully so) he took off for europe sometime around then and I saw stefania last a couple weeks after that.

My personal experience is that he was very approachable. He was just hanging out with the rest of us chatting with the family members of tandom students.

watching the videos of people taking the AD tests is fun too.

Just a short note...

I met Olav in Poland last year. I talked with him about all the things you´re just talking about...
(even asked him why people think he is arrogant).

First of all, my personal opinion on Olav is that he is really a great guy. He told me me so many people know him but actually have never talked to him...funny...isn´t it? He said he´s going to explain anything to anyone who TALKS TO HIM IN PERSON.

That´s all about the rumor shit (he´s an asshole...etc...). So many people haven´t talked to him in person and might think he´s an idiot.

But he is not. He choose his way of living and is not "everybodys darling". So simple. Whenever he plans jumps, some people are pissed (the one´s with 180 jumps and without any discipline that stay on the ground) and others are not. He is old enough and long enough in this Sport to choose he flying partners.

If you ever meet him in person feel free to speak open minded to him and you´ll have a great chat partner. Believe me.

One last thing....i don´t know if the Forum subname "Freeflying" would be without him...

Greets

fd

I agree skydiverchick ...I know Olaf and hes as cool as hell !! Leave the Guy alone dudes..show respect!! hes an innovator and gave us a path to walk down.So what if he has said a few things or TM this or done that...

People are quick to diss others,but remember this..the guy is a world champ and has done so much for skydiving in forms of creation and safety awareness...which is more than most people on this forum...
If hes disillusioned or has some issues that piss others off,so be it...thats life.

Peace and safe flying guys

That's right sneaky. He's a cool guy if ya ask me. Sure, I've only emailed him and Stephania, and I've never had the chance to meet them personally, but every time I've written them with a question, they've been nothing but kind and helpful. Olav created freefly for all of us, and if it wasn't for him, odds are we'd still be on our bellies. This is why I started this thread to clear up stuff, cuz it's his bad rep that starts the ridiculous rumors, making him look like more of an asshole. Let's not bash, guys. We're skydivers, we're family, and he's a leading father-figure of our family. Let's treat him with such respect.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

if it wasn't for him, odds are we'd still be on our bellies.

you really think so? You think that over the years noone would have thought "hey, I wonder what would happen if I flipped over and flew on my back". You need to keep a little perspective here.