Excuse me...that's "please refrain from getting panties in a twist" TM

Please send your $5 to me:P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

please refrain from getting panties in a twist

Excuse me...that's "please refrain from getting panties in a twist" TM

Please send your $5 to me:P

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? (that's a $5-er to Gary Coleman)
I will "pity the fool" (Damn! ANOTHER $5-er! Maybe Mr. T won't notice) that infringes on my "panties in a twist" copyright!! :P

Furthermore... WHERE'S MY PICTURE, LOU!?

I'm so confused. How did I jump on you? Not only did I not reply to your post - I only agreed with another who said Aria and Babylon kick ass!

My other comment was generally directed....

OH WAIT! I get it now. You thought I was attaching my post to JankyBob in response to you! :o :S

Seriously, my bad. I understood your :P and was not directing anything at all to you.

(sincere emoticon)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

When I saw that there were 15 new posts in the Freeflying forum for me to moderate, which is an unusual high number, I though, "oh no, there's gonna be bickering on the Olav thread". Sniff....oh I just love it when my freefliers get along! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

HUH??

While I'll admit/agree that 'G' is a super cool girl who obviously has a healthy perspective on the subject- she gets a buttsmooch and I get a 'chill out'?

Yeah, what SHE said!

Send more buttsmooch toward bella!

He's got the pioneering respect; a few years ago, I just saw the potential of the sport being more of a unity by now... Multiple/Localized space games, making the dolphin part of uspa, etc. etc. For some reason, I expected the First School of MSF and the rest of the "Clowns" to take it there.

HEHEHEE B| That is what I get for expecting a group with the name "CLOWNS" to do something. LOL :D

I just saw the potential of the sport being more of a unity by now...........For some reason, I expected the First School of MSF and the rest of the "Clowns" to take it there.

Looks like the slot is open! Any takers?

Let's start calling out those who are now taking the discipline to the next level - who are the next 'clowns' ;) to watch? Or become?

Hey, I'm all about becoming a "clown" :$ and pioneering any new flying styles, but how're we gonna come up with new positions without flying while balancing jars of mayonaise on our heads?? Already there are people that can fly there bodies in virtually every position (speaking of Olav...), and other than flying on your side (which I 1. am sure has been done and 2. can't be very manueverable), I personally can't think of any other positions.... :S Where will the evolution of human flight go now???

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Also, I can think of a few reasons of why Olav would not make the AD tests USPA regulated and whatnot. First of all, he was the one that came up with the tests, and therefore feels that only he should certufy instructors to give it, and he should be able to regulate the rules of it.

And let's not forget that freeflyers are the "freaks" of the skydiving world. We are the few who march to the beat of a different drummer, and let's face it, freeflyers don't like rules and regulations. Therefore, perhaps he feels that we should remain in our "unique clique" rather than jump on the bandwagon with every other bellyfly discipline out there.

In my opinion, I actually think the USPA and "other" governent (military) groups who once denied freefly are now grasping for it, and while Olav may not agree, other top freeflyers have been training them for it. For instance, I competed at Collegiate Nationals in 2001, and while speaking to a few of the military belly flyers there, I was surprised to find that these young jumpers (my age, like 19-20 at the time) were actually DISCIPLINED if they were caught doing jumps in any position but their bellies, specifically sitfly or head down. I found this simply insane, because it's not fair to limit any one persons abilities or skills, especially for some kind of military belly fly pride. And yet now, just two years later, the Golden Knights Tandem Team are doing freefly coaching jumps all over the place, with lots of head down work, hybrids, and even wicked swoops. Didn't the military disapprove of this before? Wasn't it all supposed to be belly, style, and accuracy, or do they just want to regulate everything in skydiving, including the disciplines they didn't come up with?? I don't get it, dude. [:/]

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Where will the evolution of human flight go now???

THAT, my friend, is the never-ending question.

What about hardcore 4-way that incorporates head down and head up as well as belly flying? Alchemy are doing 'blind' transitions....You don't have to introduce a new flying style - just take it to the next level. Do what hasn't been done.

other than flying on your side (which 1. am sure has been done and 2. can't be very manueverable

It has been done - before freefly, there was freestyle. AND, before it was done, I bet there was someone who said it couldn't be done. And I'm sure no one thought flying on your head was anything but just plain silly!

I personally can't think of any other positions...

OK, that takes you out of the running...:P Seriously, we're talking people in the sky!!! We've only been doing it for 100 years or so - we're babies at this game. We can't possibly have done all there is to do...

(Please, please,please post video of you and the mayonnaise jars!)
:)

I can't speak for Olav.

But I can say that "I" believe that the idea that we're the freaks, and don't like rules etc., is changing. No one likes a ton of rules and regs - but it hasn't gone unnoticed that freefly (and swooping) are just as serious an evolution of skydiving as there ever has been. Change is slow. USPA, military, any organization etc., don't just adopt something new overnight. The fact that they are now taking notice instead of 10 or 20 years down the road may be directly related to the promotion of safety, the structured license system, the Space Games competitions, etc., that Olav and his peers championed.

Just my .02

Very well put. It is a very serious evolution, and now I'm just wondering where we go to next? Do we wait for the pros, or do we intermediate skydivers try something new like Olav did? I'm no great freeflyer, and I'm no great skydiver in general. But neither was Olav when he started developing freefly. Everybody thought he was crazy for thinking he could fly with a "skyball" while going "head down", and now look how widely accepted it is, and how widely known. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, in my opinion, it's this generation's responsibility to take freefly, or just human flight, to the next level. Just one more orientation, one more way to fly, one more leap towards full free flight. In my opinion, this next generation pretty much owes it to Olav and the rest of the pioneers to further the freefly progression. The only question is, like I said before, what's next?

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

I was surprised to find that these young jumpers (my age, like 19-20 at the time) were actually DISCIPLINED if they were caught doing jumps in any position but their bellies, specifically sitfly or head down. I found this simply insane, because it's not fair to limit any one persons abilities or skills, especially for some kind of military belly fly pride.

Two issues here:
1. Don't confuse collegiate military schools with the Military. They are schools just like any other college that has rules. If flying on your head is against the rules then expect to have your pee-pee smacked for not following the rules.

2. It has nothing to do with pride and It has nothing to do with trying to regulate anything. There is no application in true military operations for freeflying. HALO operations or Skydiving is a means of infiltration, nothing more. Flying in any position other than belly to earth with all that equipment on would be insane and counterproductive. The GK's are Military service members but the stuff they do is not the epitome of what Military Airborne operations entail.

Hopefully now you get it;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

YAY! Let's fly! I'll follow you.

I'm not going to be the one to evolve the sport. I'm not that focused, self-promoting or, more importantly, skilled. But I'm going to promote and cheer and appreciate those who lead the way. I'm certainly not going to 'monday morning quarterback' what anyone else does or has done.

Be safe and keep an open mind - we'll either discover or be shown wonderful things.

what's next?

I can't wait to find out!

I think deep down we're all thinking the same thing, move on to the next level. I don't think anyone should do it for self-promotion though. For instance, myself, I would love to be a part of whatever the next step is, but what are the odds I will be? I just want to see our generation contribute to the sport like so many others in the years before us have. Believe me, I'm going to do everything in my power to contribute what I personally can, but what matters is what we all do as a whole. One person can make a thousand jumps a year, but what good is that one person if he doesn't pass on what he knows to newer jumpers?? It's not about progression of one person, but of the entire sport, and our own style of freefly.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.