selbbub78

stable sit

My 43rd jump was yesterday. I've been practicing my sit now for a few jumps. I've started to be able to hold it for a few seconds. My favorite exit is a forward roll into a sit, then trying to hold it. I GOT IT YESTERDAY at a new DZ (thanks sky's the limit). I even was practicing 360 turns while in a sit. I'm still having trouble transitioning from sit to stand, and vise versa. Any hints/tips would be loved! What a great jump :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

if your upper body is straight and your hips enough forward (not like if you were acually sitting on a chair, with your bum real low...), should be no problem. Did anybody jump with you on a sitfly yet ??? Maybe get some corrections and advice form somebody who can see your potential mistakes.
Have fun on your feet down jumps B|B|B|
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

yep I agree... look at your upper body position, check also your legs ( have an angle more than 90 degrees and have your legs not together as more as you open your legs as more stabile you get )
And last but not least :) practice as often as you can it is not always that easy as it looks like B|B| If you can't hold it get to a ball position and start again from there ( remember never go on your belly when doing ff except when pulling:ph34r: )

I've been having a bit more success with my sit, holding it for virtually the whole jump. Frustratingly, I pitch over onto my back perhaps once per jump, for no particular reason that I can identify. I ball up as I feel myself go over, and am back sitting in a second.

How are you turning? I've had three different versions; turn with the hands (no success), turn by dropping one leg (very limited control, usually results in instability), turn by angling the lower legs (not tried yet).

John

You can easily turn when sitflying by just turning your head to the direction you want to turn. You'll same time rotate your upperbody and hands to that direction.

One trick that worked on me: Think that there is lots of beer behind you... That will make you turn ;)

Congrats on your sit work, it took me about 40 jumps to get into a sit. I finally put fourth effort into getting coached jumps and that helped a lot more than trying on my own. I finally got my first dock in a sit last weekend with one of my favorite coaches out at Eloy. Well I should say that he did most of the work, but being stable enough for someone to dock on you is an awesome feeling. Now I am working on head down, which is what my FireFly pants only want to do so it is not as hard as getting my sit down but I do cork a lot... Again congrats and if you go out to Eloy anytime find me and I'll jump with ya anytime. Look for the blonde in the purple and orange pants.

I've also been practising freefly basics lately. I learned some stuff that i proved to be helpfull to me and others:

- i was instructed to do some half backloop to get from belly down into sitting position. This is a valid instruction but what it actually means to me is that I, from belly down position, need to press my knees to my chest, buttocks pointing downwards, arms spread out wide. This position is very stable and allows me to easily extend into sitting or standing position. During sit, I keep my upperlegs spread as wide as possible, which is a very stable positon to start 360 degrees side-flips from.

(my first successfull sit positions proved to be somewhat frightening: the air pushed up my rig in such a way that it was not hanging from my shoulders anymore. I actually needed to assure myself that my leg and shoulder straps were still there.)

- i never did purposely use a technique to turn left or right in sit-position, it 'just happens' when i want to. I think that i use a combination of rotating and a bit of bending of my upper body. I don't use my head for turning, which is a good thing because i need it for other/better things like keeping an eye on my co-jumpers.

- I'm currently practicing side and front loops. I suspect that i don't execute them quickly enough yet, because i tend to create a lot of horizontal seperation from other freeflyers.

- these side flips are a prep for head down position, i hope to learn that in the very near future.

Keep me informed on your progress and things you learn while doing it.

Greetings
Jetze

- I'm currently practicing side and front loops. I suspect that i don't execute them quickly enough yet, because i tend to create a lot of horizontal seperation from other freeflyers

This is what you need to do. using a weedeater or cart wheel for example.

first break down the transitions into four parts

1. Stand for acceleration this will help make the trasition faster

2. let your self fall to the side still in the stand as your legs get to around 3 or 9 oclock the relative wind hitting the side of your legs will force you into the transition with suprising force. (don't be suprised if you can't stop yourself the first couple of times)

3. As you start to rotate from step 2 Ball up to increase the rotation speed.

4 as you are getting to 360 degrees in your transition stand to accelerate this also helps kill your rotation

also key to this is looking at a target you never want to take your eyes of a target in front of you(or at least a heading) if you duck or turn your head then you'll end up doing a cartwheel with a twist and end up off heading at the end of the trasition.

Go slow take it a step at a time don't try to rush and put all the steps together real fast cause it'll get messy quick

front and back flips are the same concept but heading control is a lot easier. Hope that helps

1. Stand
2. let your self fall..
3. ..Ball up..
4 ..stand ..

Seems good advice, i'll try this 'at home'.
So, if you do this quickly enough there no serious change in falling speed and thus no level change?

Until now, i did this in sit position, but the rotation went so fast for me: i was head up before i could even try to get my body head down.

Using your advice for getting into headdown position, would the 'ball up' step just be ever so short: just to 'break' the horizontal position and then straighten again for head down?

if you do this quickly enough there no serious change in falling speed and thus no level change?

Exactly....... and even if you don't do it quickly if you do it right you should be able to keep level.

Also when I say ball up I really mean drop the arm from the shoulder on the side your cartwheeling to and reach across your chest with the oppisite arm(if you duck the shoulder doing this you'll twist a little and bring the legs back to about sit position keep torso and head straight(I mean on the horizontal plane not vertical ie you can bend at waist as long as you keep torso and head facing foreward)......again this is just for a weedeater.

Using your advice for getting into headdown position, would the 'ball up' step just be ever so short

Since I just started going headdown I'm the last person you wanna ask, but I don't think you wanna ball up much. From what I've observed it looks like most people bend their leg inward a little and tilt at the waist to catch air then pop their legs out and apart to stop the rotation in a headdown position

Hope that doesn't muddy the water too much

HI!!! Yes that was me falling slow while you big guys fell about 2500 ft below me, but hey I got to work on my stand and I did the whole way down. Too bad the devils came out by the time the next load came up, because I really wanted to work on my skills some more. Well perhaps next weekend.
C-YA
Kathryn

BAM!!! Next weekend, wohoooo!

You know before I started jumping with Robert, I did about 40 sit solos in a row....Now Im workin the HD, I am SO glad I took the time to get it down. A fast sit will get you in on a lot of fun jumps around here! :). Transitioning between sit n stand is very important too..I saw you on video doing a great job!!
Blue Skies!

A caterpiller exit is where you get a bunch of people, well at least three and form a straight line by grabbing the person in front of you's ankles. the first person exits and you all go out and pretty much hold on and the first person pretty much just tracks and turns and flips everyone around...the first person should be a really good tracker...