Levin

Summer Jam 2003 Update

We should have more then meatballs leftover, myself alone am making Red Beans and Rice as well as some Corn and Tomatos...since everyone is bringing food, there should be PLENTY to eat. B|

I know we'll still have some Shiner Bock waiting for ya!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok guys... I am officially freaking out! Tomorrow is the day, and I have so much to do! Of course the problem for today will be: getting a repack, getting an oil change, packing, figuring out what to wear to go out in Texas (without looking like I stepped off of the set of Hee Haw).

All in all, I just can't wait to have a Shiner Bock with an amazing set of old friends and a group of new friends. :)

I have bought my beer (Corona, since there will be plenty of Shiner, for my new rig), the inflatable boat for my 100th, a case of gatoraid, and vacation day approved for Friday. Oh, my "covered dish" can i bring Bread or a salad? something I can buy? I dont have time to cook.
Ok, must wash cloths so I won't have to wear dirty ones all weekend.........then just survive another day at work and its time:ph34r:B|:):ph34r:B|:)

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Well I just finished packing and hope I remembered everything. Can't wait for 2pm tomorrow because at that point, I will be on the way to the airport. Getting there early to make sure I get through check points with rig....never traveled with it before. Then I'll sit, try to relax and maybe read a book until boarding time....Is it time yet?

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

but I'll have plenty of hugs if that is acceptable :$

I dont see anyone complaining. unless you don't bring enough

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Tick, toc, tick, toc, tick, toc...

The countdown has just gotten much more unbarable!

Pablito and I spent most of the afternoon mowing the landing areas (before the mower died) and the rest of the staff is getting the last minute touches done...did someone say this is going to kick ass?>:(
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just a quick reminder about this weekend and what’s going on.

This weekend is the first of 3 Texas Headdown Record Attempts and the second Women’s Headdown Record Attempt Training Camp for the Women’s Headdown Record Attempt at Skydive Arizona this coming November.

Amy Chmelecki will be organizing the women’s training camp. Trent of Spaceland Anomaly will be helping her. For those of you that don’t know, Spaceland Anomaly was last year’s intermediate gold medalist at Nationals and participated in the 30-way World Record Attempts in Florida a few months ago. Outside Video will also be provided for the Women’s Group. So, to all the ladies; expect nothing less than a quality learning experience.

For the Texas Headdown Record we will be starting with two 8-way groups working our way towards a 16-way record formation that will consist of guys and gals from both groups. Those freeflyers that are participating in the bigways (guys and gals) have received invitations and know who they are. However that does not mean that only those with invitations will be allowed to participate. One on one-tryout jumps will be available Friday for those that feel that they have the skills and the right attitude to participate in a bigway. If you feel you are one of these people, please see Myself (Levin), Trent or Jed.

Spaceland’s Otter will arrive around 11:00 a.m. Friday (maybe Thursday night). Practice jumps start as soon as the plane arrives. There is a mandatory meeting for those participating in the bigways at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. First bigway load will take off at 9:30. Loads will be pre-manifested for 40-minute turn-arounds. The plan is to make 8 attempts.

As with all events, Sunday is typically a slow day due to hangovers and departures. Our guest from Dallas, Georgia and Florida will be departing Sunday afternoon. It is my understanding that there are going to be a lot of belly fliers at Aggieland this weekend. Last weekend we completed a 16-way hybrid dive at Skydive Spaceland. If there is any interest I would like to try and beat this Texas Hybrid Dive Record. Even though a few of our guest must leave early, I know there will be more than enough talent thru sunset Sunday to complete a huge hybrid dive.

For those freeflyers that have not yet acquired the skills to participate in the bigways, Dereck Griffin, known on dz.com as FreeflyGoat, from Skydive Dallas will be offering freefly load organizing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For those of you that don’t know Dereck (Goat), he also participated in the 30-way World Record Headdown Attempts in Florida a few months ago. He’s very knowledgeable and very skilled in the air. And he is available to help anyone that needs help with their freeflying. Ground coaching and small group coaching in the air.

Also on Friday only: Trent and Jed of Spaceland Anomaly, Dereck Griffin (Goat), Myself and Amy (maybe) will be offering $40 coach jumps, which will include both slots. I know in a previous post that I said the coach jumps would be thirty dollars. I apologize for that, but due to the cost of the event it isn’t possible. I really need to be charging fifty dollars, so forty is the best I can do. It’s still a really good deal. Outside video will be available. Cost dependent on individual camera flyer.

For those of you that need help with your freeflying and cannot afford the coach jumps, don’t forget ground coaching is free. There will be a lot of talent at the DZ this weekend. I’m sure most all of these advanced flyers would be willing to stop for a second and share some advice.

Saturday and Sunday and maybe Friday, Catfish will be offering CRW organizing and free CRW coach jumps (pay your slot only). Catfish does everything, so you’re just going along for the ride. He is an expert in Parachutes. I know to many skydivers including myself; CRW is some pretty scary looking stuff. If I wasn’t totally 110% confident in his abilities I wouldn’t have asked him here. I trust him to take my Dad on his first CRW jump this Sunday. I am trusting this person right now to teach me BASE. And I would trust him to pack my reserve. And anybody who knows me, knows that says a lot about him. So anybody who wants to do a stack, side by side and downplane all in their first CRW jump, see Catfish. Kathy has offered to take pictures of downplanes. If you’d like a picture be sure to pre-arrange it with Kathy and ‘Fish before the jump.

Double Dave’s Pizza is catering lunch for free on Saturday and Sunday. The arrangements for this were actually made three different radio stations all owned by same person. These stations have been advertising this event on the radio. A quick mention of the event was also made on a local news channel. I am guessing there will be some spectators coming out this weekend. Possibly families with kids. All of us know how pumped and excited we can get after coming down from a kick ass bigway and a hot swoop. Let’s try and watch our language around the spectators, especially if there are kids present. I know I’m no saint when it comes to saying whatever I want to say even when in earshot of strangers. Aggieland has put a lot of hard work into making this event happen, and I can’t think of a better way to thank them than to make a good impression on the spectators whom hopefully will decide to make their first tandem jump after watching all the fun we’ll be having.

The Coultier Field Airport manager has agreed to shut the glider strip down next to the DZ hanger so that it can be turned into a swoop course. The swoop course will consist of two 5’ gates and nerf noodles. I understand that 5’ gates are pro-gates, however I have chosen them for the spectators since they obstruct the view the least when someone passes thru them. The three main goals for this event are in order 1.) No injuries or fatalities. 2.) Quality learning experience. 3.) Complete the biggest HD formation in Texas to date over a Cessna DZ. In order to ensure that goal number one is met, only those with permission from the DZO and/or myself may swoop the course. The main landing area is approximately 100 yards crosswind/upwind of the swoop course. A 2500’ hard deck will be in effect over the swoop course for anybody not authorized to land in it. Geographically considering where the swoop course is in relation to the main landing area there shouldn’t be anybody over it at any altitude. Unless maybe if someone tracks over it in freefall. Anybody that breaks the hard deck rule will face the wrath of the swoopers. There will be no rules governing what the swoopers can and can’t do except for one. ANYBODY (not just swoopers) that tries to do anything wreckless outside of their abilities in an attempt to show off in front of the spectators will be grounded for the day and maybe the entire event. There will be canopy police watching.

Jump tickets for this event are $19. There is (of course) NO registration fee. Really cool boogie t-shirts will be for sale in manifest. If you like the shirt you may want to get it quick. I personally do not think they ordered enough of them. So they may be gone before you know it.

Kathy is cooking a huge spaghetti dinner for Thursday night. AggieDave is making red beans and rice (a horrible choice for the rides to altitude the next morning). All are welcome and if you plan to eat dinner at Todd and Kathy’s they ask if possible if everyone can bring another dish to go along with it (please no more beans). They are expecting a pretty sizeable turnout for dinner. Most of the girls for women’s camp are arriving Thursday. Myself, Trent, Jed and several others will be there. For directions to Todd and Kathy’s PM AggieDave. BTW, for the beverage they have chosen a keg of Shiner Boch.

Parachutist magazine went to press before I could get an announcement out that the event had been moved to Aggieland. If anyone knows of anyone that is planning to attend, please make sure they know to go to Skydive Aggieland and not Skydive Houston. The correct location was printed in Skydiving Magazine.

For directions to the DZ check out http://www.skydiveaggieland.com or email me at [email protected]. See some of yall tomorrow and the rest this weekend. Looking forward to a great event.

Levin
vSCS#3

Todd (DZO) just informd me that Double Dave's Pizza will be serving free lunch Friday and Saturday. Not Sunday. There may have been some miss communication. When I said the swoopers are free to do as they want this is what I meant. Feel free to use whatever set up you want. If you want to downwind make sure everybody else on the load knows. If you want to land in main landing area go for it. There is a slight downhill slope on the northern end. The only rule is do not do anything wreckless that is outside your abilities trying to impress the crowd (will get you grounded). Also if anybody sees something like that please pull the individual to the side and not ream their ass in front of the crowd. Todd specifically ask me that there be no swooping of spectators, no swooping of tent and no swooping in between hangers. So basically land in the landind area and not on the pavemant. By no rules I meant everybody have fun, be safe and do what you like to do. My intent was not to imply that the airport be used as an obsticle course. I don't mean to blow the swoop thing out of proportion. It's just that there are going to be spectators there and we don't want anybody to get hurt. Armbands will be issued to those qualified to land on the glider strip. Now enough on landing procedures. Todays the day. Dinner at Kathy's tonight. And the fun starts tomorrow. Cya

Levin,
vSCR#17

:P Ya Hoo!!! You have no idea how excited I am. This is going to be such a great weekend. No one is going to call me on a five minute call to deal with anything!!! Looking forward to seeing more of Texas. See you Friday at 11am.

Peace,
Krista
Spaceland BooYa Tribe
BooYa #1
SAFE IS COOL