coho21

HD Backflying - help

So I made a couple of FF dives last weekend. We were exiting HD and transitioning to a sit after we got off the hill. Anyways, before transitioning I wanted to try and fly a little HD unfortunately I seem to keep flying on my back instead of a vertical position. On film it looked like I was bending a little at the waist. (looked like you would cup for a track)

Any helpful hints on how I can straighten this out into the vertical?

Thanks.;)
J
YSD#0009

if yopu are "D" arched you will most likely nd up on your back... if you find yourself back flying arch slightly then streighten your body out...when you arch reach backwards with your arms this should help put youin the hd position.. it shouldnt take much to get there, but it will take alot to stay there when learning..
good luck!
-yoshi

Please remember that you can change speeds greatly from an actual HD position to (de-arched) slightly on your back position..

Please think about what body positions do what for seperation and how it works in reverse.. There have been a couple of freefly incedents in the past few weeks involving seperation and trying to become relative again... Not that you shouldnt do it by all means dont thinkn that I am saying not to!! You should try to work on it..

Flying on your back is very useful and can become quite fun and visually stimulating but please think about what you are doing..
I remember that when I first started skydiving instructors would tell me when I go home become a arm chair skydiver.. To sit and visualize what are the positive and negative effects of my body position with the relative wind.. Do the same.. It will help you think about it more clearly when you are wanting to carve and other back flying in freeflying..