Austintxflight

I jumped with a corpse

Hi all,

I am a noobe, I got my A license this summer and I am 50 jumps in.  I do a lot of "lurking and reading" on the forum as my way of tapping into the experience base of sky diving community.

I was wondering if some one could explain to me why canopies less than 150 square feet are considered as high performance regardless of wing loading.  I am an experienced pilot so I tend to think about things in aerodynamic terms. Obviously there is an additional dynamic for a RAM air wing that I don't understand.

I'd appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks, Paul

The smaller the canopy is the shorter the lines are. Shorter lines make a canopy more responsive to your inputs. Someone with more experience can likely give a more in depth answer.

Canopy sizing advice on DZ.com is generally better on DZ.com than on most DZ's. Depending on your goals that is.

Dude, I believe that DGIT is the prefered nomenclature. I know you don't know what you don't know so now you know Dead Guy In Training. Corpses usually don't make it past the manifest chick.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Corpses usually don't make it past the manifest chick.

Might depend on how 'stiff' you were... ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

this site has definitly changed for worse in the last years.

now take a guess why my instructors, once i've mentioned dizzy.com, told me to never-ever take anything serious from here - 4 1/2yrs ago!!?

kangaroo-court; i like that one!
tough i think it's more like a micro-world of the mickey-mouse comics i used to love when i was a kid. guess, some still are, and some still like living there..

VB... Some of us are lifelong students of the sport. We come here to learn. I've been around this sport long enough to know I've only scratched the surface of the possibilities this sport offers. I've also been around long enough to know what BS smells like! :)
OP... You're asking questions. Exellent! You may not always get good answers, but don't stop asking the questions. And always be on alert for the BS. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

A friend once told me 'If they are concerned for you they will talk to you, if they are concerned for their egos they will talk to each other instead. Either way, no ones talking about them'.

Did you speak to this guy about your concern for his safety? If not, why not? What is this thread about for you? Validation?

As I said, I'm a new jumper, it was my first day at a new DZ, I really don't know what his instructors there have told him and what policies they have in place, I only know my DZ which tends to be very by the book.

My reason for the post was seeing if what I experienced is common and I just have a stick up my ass or if this as something that others would consider an issue. Looking back sure there are things I could have done differently, I was just seeing what the general community online thought of such a behavior.

my subject line was probably more bold than it should have been, but a good subject line tends to grab readers.

Nothing wrong with your post. matt002 is out of line.

No he wasn't. He had a completely valid point. If the OP didn't talk to the other guy and just came to whine on these forums, then he is just looking to score some brownie points.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

this site has definitly changed for worse in the last years.

now take a guess why my instructors, once i've mentioned dizzy.com, told me to never-ever take anything serious from here - 4 1/2yrs ago!!?

Isn't it a huge coincidence that it's full of good advice when it matches the message you want to send, but as soon as it's not what you want to hear nothing on it can be taken seriously? :D

You can't have it both ways.

At the moment, everytime you post, you're sounding more and more like a child, and worse, a 100 jump wonder.

You've been around enough, both here and in the real world skydiving that you know 'My instructor with x thousand jumps says I'll be fine' is a standard response from newbies who are pushing it.
You also know that the advice on canopy progression here comes from people with far more experience and who have put far more thought into those recommendations than whoever you're taking advice from has, yet you ignore it because, well, you just don't like it. That's just childish - it's the DZ equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'LALALA I can't hear you!'

How do you not see the similarity between you and Old-Sangi?

...but i am saying that some people do learn faster than others.

Maybe you need a link(s) reference to Sangi? [:/]

There could be more to this story - what if the guy is 120lbs...

Apparently, you have not learned even yourself, that ANYTHING
Maybe just a little bit more LISTENING and LEARNING on your part (before speaking) is also in line, and a good order for suggestion for YOURSELF here as well?

Like you say... Just sayin' ;)

Cheers,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone