Rookeskydiver

what would you say is the cheapest FreeFly friendly container?

hmmmmm, sorry I dont keep up my profile every weekend for ya there skreamer. To be honest....I have made more than twice the number of jumps this year than that of which you have posted on YOUR profile! :D:DB| Anytime you would like to come learn how to skydive better....please feel free to join us. I dont come on here to bash anyone or anything...I have seen Reflexes get people hurt for various reasons while freeflying. Some of which may have been a riggers fault and some of which are just by the design of the rig. IT IS JUST AN OPINION! >:( Isn't that what the purpose of this forum is little buddy?:S

Live today as tomorrow may not come

To be honest....I have made more than twice the number of jumps this year than that of which you have posted on YOUR profile!

Yes, which is why I didn't come on here bashing reflexes, racers and dolphins either. I am really glad for you that you can afford to make that many jumps a year - I am sure you are a great skydiver.

But for those who can't afford to buy a top rig AND make a lot of jumps, surely buying a cheaper (yet still freefly friendly) rig and using the money they saved to pay for jump tickets would be a good idea? I'd rather buy a cheaper (still safe) rig and make 200 jumps a year, than blow all my money on a top rig and only be able to afford to do 50 jumps a year.

Like I said, I am glad you can afford one of the most expensive rigs out there and still afford to jump a lot - just bear in mind that a lot of others can't. And just because they can't afford the most expensive rig does not mean that they (and their rig!) are not safe.

Will

There are a LOT of great rigs on the market right now. Some rigs are expensive, some are less expensive. When you buy a car, do you just go out and say "I want the BEST, most expensive one, cause it's BETTER!"? No, you buy whatever car gets you the most for your money. I'd definitely say that the Wings containers stand out as the highest-quality and most affordable rigs out there. Yes, my team is sponsored by Wings. Yes, we did have other options when considering sponsors. We still chose Wings because of the quality of their product, the enthusiasm of their staff, and the fact that I have NEVER met an unsatisfied Wings owner.

Why pay $1500-$2200 for a rig when you can pay a LOT less for a rig that is just as solid and safe, if not more so? Sometimes, it doesn't make any sense.

I've jumped (for at least 50 jumps) Javelin, Mirage, Vector, Infinity, and Talon and each of them have their own little nuances and things that I didn't like. No rig is perfect, but I can say that I have yet to find something I DON'T like on a Wings.
Oh, hello again!

But for those who can't afford to buy a top rig AND make a lot of jumps, surely buying a cheaper (yet still freefly friendly) rig and using the money they saved to pay for jump tickets would be a good idea? I'd rather buy a cheaper (still safe) rig and make 200 jumps a year, than blow all my money on a top rig and only be able to afford to do 50 jumps a year.***

Ok man, you are getting to me a little here. Once again, you know nothing of what you are talking about. You make it sound like I am some kind of rich boy that can do whatever I want. Well mister here is some info for you. You obviously want to know since you have been bashing my profile, making snide remarks in here and the such. If you are SO INTERESTED IN ME.....HERE YA GO!!!!!>:(

I do tandems, static line, and video jumps to pay for my gear and fun jumps. I have learned the hard way about inferior gear. I currently jump a 2nd hand Quasar II. It doesn't even fit quite correctly but it is much safer than the old dolphin that I had. I paid $500 for it and the reserve. Granted, it was from a friend so I got a little bit of a deal. Lay off man! once again you have opened your mouth and not your mind. You really shouldn't say things about people or insinuate them without knowing the truth. I am a blue collar worker when I am not skydiving, my car is junk and you my dear friend are a jerk! Good day to you sir!

Guys, this is your warning, I'm going to have to lock this thread if you keep up with the personal attacks. The subject of the thread is "what would you say is the cheapest freefly container". Let's keep the debate focused on that without bashing other member's opinions or credentials.

If you feel you must put-down a certain manufacturer's container, you should be backing it up with some factual information that you have. For anyone choosing a container based off of what they have learned on this thread, remember these are all opinions. If you have questions about a particular container, it's always best to contact your dealer or the manufacturer directly.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Rookeskydiver, here is what I would do if I were you. Buy what you can afford and buy used. If you really only have 59 jumps (If memory serves) then you maybe ready to downsize canopys pretty quickly after you buy your gear. I have heard nothing bad about wings, I love my reflex. I want a mirage G4, but I think that will be my next rig when I'm sure I'm going to say around that size for a couple of years. I just hate to see someone buy a mirage (good, but not cheap) then sell it 200 jumps later. Just my 2 cents

Edit: Also sunshine factory had a good deal on a javelin J5 and Tempo 210, if the size is right for you ;)

ok guys.....I am sorry that I got irritated and posted my feelings. This subject is one that I feel very strongly about though. I AM new to the forums and did a horrible job of expressing my views...I appollogize. Here is what I have seen in lieu to what I wrote earlier on. I have SEEN dolphins with reserve bridles snaking out on sit fly jumps. I have SEEN numerous dolphins on head down jumps with the riser covers coming undone (tuck tabs, velcro, snaps) and the jumpers ending up with one set of risers over an elbow or close to it. I have seen three instances of this and have all of them on video. All three were on the riser cover types that I stated. I come from a dolphin based DZ, at least that is where I started. AS for the relflexes. I have seen a reserve bridle snake out on one of those as well. Granted, a good pre-jump gear check might have kept these bridles from sneaking out...maybe, I dont know. I am just stating what I have seen. I have also seen the reflex riser covers come undone on head down jumps and the jumper had a riser on his arm. If a comparison of all rigs were possible at one time, then the design differences in reserve flap design and placement as well as riser protection would be extremely evident. I am not bashing any one particular rig. I am just stating that I have seen the only "close calls" on these two types. :| ......ladies and gentleman, again, I appollogize for my terrible etiquette earlier on.

Blue skies,
Loooooooooooong swoops

I AM new to the forums and did a horrible job of expressing my views...I appollogize.

Yes, I agree you originally did a horrible job expressing your views. ;) Thank-you for apologizing, and thank-you for making amendments to your post.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

...I have SEEN numerous dolphins on head down jumps with the riser covers coming undone (tuck tabs, velcro, snaps) and the jumpers ending up with one set of risers over an elbow or close to it. I have seen three instances of this and have all of them on video....I have also seen the reflex riser covers come undone on head down jumps and the jumper had a riser on his arm. If a comparison of all rigs were possible at one time, then the design differences in reserve flap design and placement as well as riser protection would be extremely evident. I am not bashing any one particular rig. I am just stating that I have seen the only "close calls" on these two types.

i have a racer elite2000 with a spectre120 that i use for tube jumps and as a spare rig. the 2000elite model has open riser cover troughs. it's designed for rw. when headdown, if i get above about 160mph the right riser almost always comes down around my arm. when it happens i put my arm out a little further to hold it there and when i pull i simply just stick my elbow out further to keep the riser from sliding underneath my arm. really no big deal. a friend that i use to jump with when we first started out had an old slim line vector2 that he used for headdown. i have about 300 videos of him with both risers around his arms.

levin
vSCR#17

i guess you haven't seen the new tuck tab design by jumpshack. they are the best tuck tabs i have seen on any rig ever.
levin
vSCS#3

best except for Mirage and Vector..

but I'll agree they are better than Javelin

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

when i pull i simply just stick my elbow out further to keep the riser from sliding underneath my arm. really no big deal.

Sounds like a certain owners manual and RSL's

a friend that i use to jump with when we first started out had an old slim line vector2 that he used for headdown. i have about 300 videos of him with both risers around his arms.

And I have several videos of malfunctions caused by this very same thing. Radical Malfunctions... Not just spinning line twist's either. Fucking Radical Malfunctions.

If you were to do over unders and Carving and head down spins, Multiple cartwheels and flips, THEN... "no big deal".. becomes a GREAT big deal. Headdown is just a position. Freeflying is much more than that.

Any rig where the riser covers come open is NOT a rig that should be a freefly rig.

There are many rigs that don't require holding a static headdown with an arm out to hold the risers in place.

Enough Ranting.

I'll clean my room now.
Peace
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

And I have several videos of malfunctions caused by this very same thing. Radical Malfunctions... Not just spinning line twist's either. Fucking Radical Malfunctions.

yah...it happens...those damn parachutes. if only they would always work ;)

If you were to do over unders and Carving and head down spins, Multiple cartwheels and flips, THEN... "no big deal".. becomes a GREAT big deal. Headdown is just a position. Freeflying is much more than that.

on the contrar, nothin fucking radical has ever happened with this rig while doing spins and carving. if you'll re-read my original post you would recall that this is my tube dive/wingsuit rig because it has a fat canopy in it. the thought of somebody suggesting doing cartwheels, flips and over-unders with a tube on my feet is sick :S

Any rig where the riser covers come open is NOT a rig that should be a freefly rig.

ya know...i agreee :)

There are many rigs that don't require holding a static headdown with an arm out to hold the risers in place.

yah there are...but it doesn't bother enough that i'm going to go out and buy one :P

levin
vSCS#3

I heard a couple of votes for the infinity, and I would have to agree. Comfortable, rock solid, superior main and reserve flap (they freaking stay shut until it's time to deploy) and the best riser protection I've ever seen (and it's relatively cheap). No, I haven't jumped every rig, but I've yet to see anything that I consider superior.

My my, its hot in here, all from a relatively innocuous question....
I see many people posting here that I have met, jumped with, and have good reason to respect their opinions.

Aggiedave and Trent advocate Wings, hey congrats on the sponsorship, good deal Trent (previous defender of the Javelin).
Ramon is bashing Javelins...well no change there then old friend.
Gary is advocating a Javelin if reselling is a consideration, an opinion I support. Few other rigs hold their value like a Javelin. Plus, I have never had a rig as comfy as my Odessey.
Levin is staunchly defending his choice, the fine Racer.
Jessica is defending the Reflex, which has been well supported by notable jumpers in the past.
PdF Atoms are not supported in the US, so you may have spare parts issues should any drama occur, however they are the rig of choice for Europe’s leading freefliers, Babylon, out of Empuria. They are really nice rigs, so it’s a shame.
The vortex is a nice container, but you may have problems jumping non TSO’d gear over there in the states.

Rooke, I guess you’ve figured it out for yourself now, but skydivers are fiercely loyal to their gear choices. So if you ask ten peeps their recommendations for a rig, you WILL inevitably get ten different opinions.:P

My tuppence worth....go for a Wings, or a Thomas Sports Superfly, they represent good value for money from I can see. And at the end of the day its value for money you want, not cheapness.

Me? I like Javelins. If hey are properly sized for the canopies in use, they are fairly bombproof. I can pick mine up by its main closing flap, and it stays shut. Of course if you put the wrong size of canopy in any container things may not be as neat.....

Skreamer.....’ Do you know about the time I posted that fat people should pay more for their jump tickets (because they make the plane climb slower)?
Now that made me some new friends...’ Damn shapeists.....;)

Good job on keeping it civil Andrea.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I'd like to piggy back on the question at hand. My jump numbers are really low (14), so please pardon my almost complete lack of knowledge. I bought my rig at my 10 jump point (had the money...long story). It's an ex-student Wings container with low jump #'s and I'd like to stay with it as long as possible....Wings has won another lifetime customer. My goal is to get into HD type flying (don't worry, not for another couple dozen jumps). My question is/are, once you start looking at rigs what should you look for to make sure they are safe for HD/FF? Who can do the mods necessary? At what point should you just give up on modifying the rig you have and getting new container? And finally, besides this fourm, where would be a good place, online, for me to learn as much as I can about HD? Thanks.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned the Voodoo, good or bad. I'm curious as to why. I know a lot of "options" on some rigs are standard for the voodoo, thus, making the initial price a little more, but if you factor in all the extras you want it is good bang for your buck so to speak. I just wonder why noone mentioned them at all. I think they are one of if not the best looking rig on the market too.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".