airborne31582

more freefly drills I could do?

Use a swimming pool.. It gives you the easy of movement as the air does.. The ability using all axoms is where it helps.. use the deep end to transition from all the stable body positions.. It can feel kind of weird but use goggles... but it does help your visual perspective. Also do a two way in the pool.. I have done that a couple of times and it is pretty cool.. unless you cant hold your breath very long..B|

One thing I like to do that might help you, and is a good challenge: jump out, head up or head down, and do a 360 rotation around all 3 axis, in both directions (right 360, left 360, right cartwheel, left cartwheel, front flip, back flip), transition, and do the same thing in the other orientation. See how many times you can get through it in one dive. If that's too easy, add more transitions. Put one between each set of manuevers (spin-spin tr spin-spin flip-flip tr flip flip cw cw tr cw cw) or between each pair of rotations, or, if you're really ambitious, between each rotation. This is fun and can be done solo, and should help w/ stability and transitions.

Ted

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

ahh...these forums are addicting...like i don't have enough stuff to do, now i'm spending time replying to posts...oh well, too late now..

i remember when i lived in Nor Cal in 1997, the two things that really helped me were videos, lots and lots of videos...watching, pausing, rewinding, replaying
trying to make sense of how the flyers were manuvering thier bodies in freefall (chronicle II was all the rage then)

the second thing was that as i understood how we were suppossed to 'fly' our bodies, when i walked around the streets and the house or the DZ or whatever, i'd always be pretending like i was flying headdown. so like every turn i took, i did it as i was flying..
it sounds goofy, but it helped me to get my muscle memory more ingrained in my mind. so then when i got back in the air, i was able to recall faster which way to push on the wind to.

you can of course practice on the group 'walking' around in a sit, or head down, or belly....whatever...tracking...
just visualize in your mind how you would move in the air in a particular position and use those muscles so you get used to feeling them

swimming pools are cool too...in college, when i couldn't jump for some periods of time, i'd go swimming for the 'freedom of movement' just to easy my mental anguish of not being able to skydive....:P
max

My latest favorite for headdown practice goes as such:

a) Lurk anything.
b) If not, then go out in a stradle, switch to daffy, touch your fingers together under your legs, behind your back, in front of you, then honk your own nose. Back to stradle back to daffy, repeat. Make sure that the horizon doesn't move and that you aren'y rocking either. Good times.
Drewfus McDoofus