carafreefly

Tube/Streamer Jumpers: Safety advice needed

Lets see... I've jumped my sit fly tube 5 times and have borrowed tubes for another 5 jumps. Choped the tube once at 10k due to it knoting its self up on exit and turning into shit. Had it wrap my outer lines onces on opening, other then that they all have been uneventful on opening.

One thing I've seen that I was forgetting alot about is the plane ride, preventing it from accidently opening in the plane or right on exit ( jumping a tailgate spoils you ;). Stable flying is important too. Deployment, I've only jumped sit tubes so I hold it way out to the left side and toss the PC as far right as I can. Once I hit the snivel phase I look up to make sure its not wraping then. If its clear I pull down on the tube a bit to get it collapsing as the canopy is inflating. Once the tube is clear of the lines and the canopy is open I hook the tube on my foot (Need to work out a better method before the next jump) and fly back to the DZ. No major radical turns under canopy for me since I've watched my trailing PC come within a few feet of the tube on a light spiral. Other then that make sure the air is clear above you when you belly out since if its a hand held tube you can't move at all. I like to belly out at 6 and use me corking as a signal for everyone else to break. Plus I get the pattern to my self with the tube that way ;) If you do use the loop the handle over the foot on a tube method to carry it back to the DZ... kick it off at like 25-50 feet. I tried to surf last time with the tube and about broke my leg when it slide down and I triped on it as I was landing. Also make sure the tube is a bit longer then the lines on your canopy so its harder for it to wrap them in the opening part.

Attached is a pic of an opening with the tube.Its to the far left out side the canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

DSC00010.JPG