Jessica

Spinning while learning sit

I'm learning to sit. I'm trying to start by getting the butt-to-earth position down. My problem is that when I go into this, I start spinning and I can't stop it, which is extremely unnerving.
Anyone got any idears?
Taking nominations for new screen name.

Another thing that might help is to concentrate on your arms and to have a reference point. If you remember, my girlfriend was using your approach to sitting and I think it's a good start. When you get into the butt-down position, let your legs blow up and put your arms to the sides but very high (more than 90 degrees from your torso, but not quite 180). This should be a stable position with no spinning IF your arms are even as well as your legs. What I've seen happen is when people are in the butt-down sit is that they are trying to sit up and applying more pressure to one arm or leg. Remember that you have to keep your wings even. If you're jumping with someone who can hold pretty still. Look through your knees at them and never let them get out of sight. This will help you understand just how much each little movement can affect your heading.
But hey, what do I know? :)

More than likely your body position is skewed to the side. You might want to backfly, make sure that you are not in a spin, then bring your knees to your chest with your feet tucked in. This will bring you into a semi-sit position. Be sure that you are stable in this, then push your feet down like you are standing up. Always go to your back when you cork and be stable on your back before getting vertical.

Cool, thanks guys. Trent, I think this:

What I've seen happen is when people are in the butt-down sit is that they are trying to sit up and applying more pressure to one arm or leg.

...might be exactly what I've been doing.
I got one jump in yesterday, no spinning :)Taking nominations for new screen name.

Idea number one.....
Get off your butt and onto your feet, butt flying AKA is freek flying left over from the 80's, head up flying is better known as feet flying because that's where you have to have your balance and power to defelect the relative wind with your legs symetrically, as with your torso and arms. The balance is in the middle of the feet directally underneath your knees, any more or any less (forward,backward,side to side) and you have presentated the shins or calves to the relative wind and deflected, it unsymetrically, good posture with the torso is super important, deflecting air by leaning forward or backward, or side to side is also deflecting unsymetrically the relative wind and thus causing a turn. Examine each and every apendage and your torso, are you displacing the relative wind symetrically? If not this is the cause of your turn or spining. Reevaluate your response to the spinning as well, most people during landing with a right hand drift reach down with their right hand to stop this, adding to the problem, rather than a small compensation in the proper direction (left) to maintain a level of symetery. Video assist will help you determine what is the issue (proffesional coaching), however only choose someone who can do this in a safe manner while giving you a quality video and debrief. Hope this helps
Have fun and fly lots
Dave