CanEHdian

AD license - worth it?

Many well known freeflyers have their number... as I'm sure there are some that don't.
For me, getting my AD license was a significant personal goal and achievement.
Just wondering, what do other freeflyers think about it? Is it still a goal for some of you out there?
Cheers,
CanEHdian

I don't think I have any use for it. I haven't as of yet figured out why I need to give someone else a fair amount of money for a license that I have no use for. That's just me though.....If I want to fly with a ball I have several people right here at Skydive Atlanta that can ballmaster for me.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

Clay --
I think you're just seeing it differently than others.
For some people it's not about playing with the ball, but rather seeing if you can perform to a particular standard.
I mean, yeah, I can go out to the rifle range and blast away at a few targets, but I'd feel like I'd actually done something if I hit the center consistantly.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I'd feel like I'd actually done something if I hit the center consistantly.

And thats what video cameras are for in Skydiving. Personal achievement is exactly that to me I guess. I don't need to prove it to anyone else. I guess MOST people in skydiving like doing that though. It's enough for me to get down from a dive, high five everyone, and then go watch the video. I put it on my "ME" tape and it's all done. Thats probably why I am so into Free Flying also. I just really don't care for a lot of hub bub on the ground. I like to get it all done before break off.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

for some it is a personal goal, for others it is a credential that they carry with them when they go to other than their home DZ(s)... if you have it you have demontrated to a recognizable standard that you can perform certain skills (or at least you did when you took the test)... it may make it easier for someone to get invited on a FF jump when they show up at a new DZ... oh yeah, and it is your passport to Olav's Space Games...
If you are lucky engough to be somewhere that will allow ball jumps and you have someone that can ball-master you can take the test for yourself (everyone knows what the test is, right?) so your personal goal can be met... you just don't get the number or the "credentials" kinda like someone who is D-Licesne "qualified, but does not have the actual license casue they have not paid the $$$.
http://www.aerialfusion.com

I think the 3-D award is a little more challenging than the AD. It requires you to demonstrate your ability to fly with 2 other people, instead of a little ball that falls mostly straight down the tube.
Hey Scottish Dave, when you coming back?

I'm back, got here tuesday, busy as hell, but off to visit uncle Scotty and Aunty Tami this weekend, so I won't be around your way for a while.
I agree with you Trent, the 3-D award is a better award as it requires a more rounded approach to flying.
Did ya hear that a couple of Brits already got their numbers, tell Stevie and Eric....:)Its a pity the USPA didn't have the foresight to chuck some CRW and accuracy on the bottom end.....Now THAT would be a tough challenge...
Cya
D

A test is a test, and it's just that, try to do manuvers with an object for the first time and gague yourself against it, and most importantally learn from the experience. Learn to fly, not to control your falling, there is a difference. As per the money issue, everyone has a job, a passion that they will follow through with so that every day they get to experience and further themselves in a particular field, some persons have chosen freefly instruction, and this as any proffesion has a monotary value for teaching and testing others. As per personal gradification and achievement I think it is great that people can achieve this test in a safe setting and feel good about doing it and not having the license, it's about doing it. However I do not feel that a person that flies with the ball in an uncontrolled atmosphere and practices the test numerous times then passes on their 10th try is anywhere near passing the standards set forth by the orginal idea and skills set behind the test itself. Again a test is a test, do 400 jumps and do the test and see how you fare. Don't do 385 jumps and 15 jumps with the ball and then do the test, this takes away from the orginal idea and concept of the "test" in the first place.
These are just my thoughts from experience and I value anyone elses thoughts on this subject.
Just to clarify for everyone I am a First School of Modern Skyflying instructor who does this daily, thanks for listening, if you want to comment personally contact [email protected]
Dave Brown
The Freefly Training Center
The First School of Modern Skyflying
AD-C-12

Don't do 385 jumps and 15 jumps with the ball and then do the test, this takes away from the orginal idea and concept of the "test" in the first place.

It is my understanding that this is Mike Swanson's take as well. The whole idea is that you should have the necessary skills to pass the test *before* you take it. Practicing sort of defeats the idea.
That said, I personally would like to practice with the ball to help improve my proximity skills without worrying about bashing into someone. Sure it doesn't eliminate the need to jump with different people with different fall rates and flying styles, but it seems like it would be a good learning aid.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."