alanab

which canopy is better?

What about Safire (original) or Safire 2? They're great fun to fly - 9 cells, ZP, sweet opening, deep flare, either soft landing or swooping you fancy to do. Quick turns and execllent gliding ratio than Spectre and Shilouette. I am really pleased with my 144 (1.35 loading on it) - did 8 awesome swooping last weekend. B| Probably I'll jump it for next 200 jumps to bring the best out of it.

You should demo those canopies before you buy it. It's very easy to notice the difference between Spectre, Safire and Shilouette.

You should demo those canopies before you buy it.

This is the best advice that you'll get concerning choosing a canopy. It's the only way that you can make an educated decision about which canopy will be best for you.

That said, I bought a Spectre, and love it. But you'll also find lots of people that love their canopies too, and they won't all be Spectres...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

i talked them down from a 190 to a 170,

I'm just curious about your progression and how long you've been on your current canopy. Bill Von listed some good skills to have before considering to downsize. They included:

-flat turn (at least 90 deg at 50 feet)
-flare turn (at least 45 deg)
-land in rear risers
-land consistently in a 10 meter circle
-land crosswind and no wind
-land on slight uphills/downhills
-do a double front riser approach
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have already been jumping a 170 that I am borrowing from someone. I went from student 240, to a falcon 215, to a saphire 180, to a sabre 170... and thats what i have been jumping until i get a spectre 170 (if i ever find one). unfortunately i cannot jump due to my broken elbow for 7 more weeks. but i am signed up for a canopy control ground course a my dz, taught by scott miller from PD.

but i am signed up for a canopy control ground course a my dz, taught by scott miller from PD.

Excellent choice in canopy instructors, Scott Miller is da bomb and I've taken his canopy course twice. I feel so fortunate that I'm able to hang out with him in Deland. Just yesterday I mentioned a problem I was having, he told what to try to fix it, and it worked like a charm.

Since you're already on a 170, I won't worry too much about your downsizing. Just be aware that the 7 cell Spectre is going to fly a little differently than the 9 cell Sabre.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

glad to know scott is good. i've only heard wonderful things about him. this is his 2nd canopy control course this year for our dz. i am excited to take the ground course, but kind of upset that i can't jump and have them debrief my skills:(

which is a better canopy.... spectre 170 or shilouette 170?

I've never jumped the silhouette so I cannot give you an opinion on which is better. However, the question of which is better comes down to personal preference. You could have everyone on here tell you one thing and you prefer the other. The best advice to finding which canopy you like is to demo them. You can also read about the Spectre and the Silhouette from PD's web site.
I know this is not what you asked, but I hope it helps. :)
Edited to add: The Spectre is a great canopy.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Which is better? Well, that's not a quantifiable question. That's like asking someone if a Chevy truck or a Ford truck is better. It really depends on who you talk to, especially since they both have good qualities (the canopies do, but Ford trucks are worthless:P).

After talking to your instructors, and if they approve, you could possibly look at a Sabre2. Its nothing like the old Sabres. It is semi-elliptical so it flies quite different, BUT the openings are mucho mucho better. Not quite as good as a Spectre, but still very soft.

So here's what I'd tell you to do. 1. Talk to your instructors about canopy choices and see what they think would work for you. 2. Call up Kolla at PD and get some demos sent to you. You'll never know if you like one over the other, no matter what anyone tells you, until you actually jump the canopies.

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

just trying to find out which canopy (spectre or shilouette) people like better that have flown both
BIG FAT BLUE ONES:)

I have jumped both like the spectre better. You can sink a spectre in a tight landing area better. I'd say it'd have a better resale. Someone is always looking for a used spectre.

i still would like a few more opinions on which canopy is "better"

The problem is that "Better" is subjective.

The Shilouette is a 9 cell hybrid. Easier to pack but a totally different planform than the 7 cell Spectre.

Different planform. 7cells VS 9 cells.
Different materials. All ZP vs half ZP, half F-111.
Different flight profiles.

They are totaly different canopies.

I personally would rather have the Spectre...Just because hybrids never did seem like a great idea to me. Nothing WRONG with them, but they just never seemed to catch on.

But one is not "better" than the other.

Demo both and pick the one you like...they are both fine canopies.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just because hybrids never did seem like a great idea to me

We use Navigators (PD hybrids) for our student canopies at SD Aggieland. I've flown all the ones we've had, and I do have to say, they make GREAT canopies for students.

They have good flare, unlike a lot of older student F111 canopies, and they have a good glide. However, they're dossel enough that we've had students really screw up, hit hard/rough/etc, get up, dust themselves off and walk back to the hanger. (To get some re-explaining on canopy control by one of the instructors ;)).

In that sense, I think hybrid canopies are good platforms. At this point, I wouldn't really enjoy one for my primary canopy, though.:S
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i think we used navigators as student canopies as well. they are half f-111 nad half ZP, right? anyhow i was wondering if the shilouette would fly similar to them? i want a more "fun" canopy, with nicer openings.... i.e. spectre

I jumped an Icarus Omega for about a hundred jumps and it has all the qualities you want in a canopy. It opened really slow!!!!! It took a minimum of 800 feet and I had 1 out of 4 take 1000. It had zippy turns and was fun to fly. The flare was typical of 7 cell canopies. I traded it for a smaller canopy after about 100 jumps. I bought it brand new. That canopy I flew is still for sale at cousindave.com. It has fewer jumps than he is listing it as having. It was a fun canopy.

I jumped an Icarus Omega for about a hundred jumps and it has all the qualities you want in a canopy. It opened really slow!!!!! It took a minimum of 800 feet and I had 1 out of 4 take 1000. It had zippy turns and was fun to fly. The flare was typical of 7 cell canopies. I traded it for a smaller canopy after about 100 jumps. I bought it brand new. That canopy I flew is still for sale at cousindave.com. It has fewer jumps than he is listing it as having. It was a fun canopy.

what size omega was it?