ernokaikkonen

I&R cheklist

After spending a while trying to find a comprehensive checklist to use while packing reserves, and finding very little, I decided to translate, update and improve my old checklist. So here it is. All the riggers out there, notice anything I missed? Any other ideas for improvement?

[ All the riggers out there, notice anything I missed? Any other ideas for improvement?

I include far more information about the AAD and less info about the main canopy.
I like to record the AAD serial number, date of manufacture, last time batteries were changed, date of last visit to factory, etc. near the top of my inspection form.
I rarely write more than the main canopy's type, serial number and date of manufacture on the I&R form, since I charge extra for main inspections.
I do hang the main and straighten the lines before re-attaching it to the harness, but that is the end of my responsibility.
Since few customers are willing to pay for the extra time involved in a main inspection, I rarely do more than a quick glance at common wear points i.e. bridle attachment, risers, slider.

[ All the riggers out there, notice anything I missed? Any other ideas for improvement?

I include far more information about the AAD and less info about the main canopy.
I like to record the AAD serial number, date of manufacture, last time batteries were changed, date of last visit to factory, etc. near the top of my inspection form.
I rarely write more than the main canopy's type, serial number and date of manufacture on the I&R form, since I charge extra for main inspections.
I do hang the main and straighten the lines before re-attaching it to the harness, but that is the end of my responsibility.
Since few customers are willing to pay for the extra time involved in a main inspection, I rarely do more than a quick glance at common wear points i.e. bridle attachment, risers, slider.

I ask that the customer pull the main and take it with them. One less thing for me to missplace.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I inspect the main free of charge. The repack may be the only time that the main canopy is examined completely and by a trained and certified rigger.

I would rather prevent a reserve ride than repack after one. I have grounded a customer because his ribs had separated from the top skin. If I hadn't found that he would have blown up the canopy. Instead I kept him on the ground an extra day as the problem was repaired and the reserve wasn't subjected to a deployment and possible damage from the landing area to my loft.

Since flat packing has mostly given way to PRO packing, I find very few owners inspecting the top skin of their canopies. I had one customer who was unaware of many pinholes in his canopy near the warning label of his center cell and completely mised the 2 by 2 inch hole on the bottom skin immediately below the warning label. Before the repair, I accomplished a fabric pull test that the canopy failed. The repair was expensive, but again I prevented a reserve ride for a repair that was inevidable.

On a selfish note, I find very few problems with reserve canopies. They just aren't used that often. By inspecting main canopies I am training my eye to identify wear on canopies, lines, bridles, etc. I am constantly making judgements about airworthiness and refining my tolerance for acceptance. It has also taught me to ask questions and I have learned about crossport fraying and what causes it.

If you're worried about the expense in time that a main inspection will cost you, think about when you find a problem. Why do you think JiffyLube does a 14-point check on your car? They don't make anything on the oil change. They make money by selling you air filters, belts, etc. You get the opportunity to do repair work that will likely pay better per hour than the repack.

As for the inspection checklist, I also include the due dates for important upcoming events: Next Repack, Cypress Batteries, Cypress Maintenance. As soon as the reserve is sealed, you know when it comes due. Share this information with your customers. Also it is a lot easier to save for a 4-year maintenance over 120 days than it is to come up with the money in 2 when your rigger tells you they either have to send it to SSK or remove it from the rig. It also helps the customers plan for their Cypress to be at SSK for the three weeks it takes to do the inspection and certification.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

My Inspection Record does not include an inspection checklist or a tool checklist. I use it more like a work order. It is only one page (one sided). I have plans to put the Inspection Checklist and Tool Checklist on the back side and tri fold it for mailing to my customers.

I found that the easiest way to get paid by the DZ was to mail them the work order. The checkbook was out when the mail was received and not when the rig was dropped off. This has worked well for me.

I almost forgot. Only recently did I find out that the cells of a canopy are numbered. The diagram on this Inspection form help me describe damage to canopies in the same way that the manufacturers do. It is a little hard to read because it is backwards from the way we are used to seeing a canopy. If anyone has a better diagram, please post it.

- Jack
Packin' Jack
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009

Since the original post I've updated my inspection form. It is attached below.

I print it on 3-Panel Brochure Paper from Paper Direct. I don't see the same design I use, but it is similar to this:
http://www.paperdirect.com/Continental+3+Panel+Brochure+Papers/item_no=BRCNTL/cid=853/page_no=5/shop.axd/ProductDetails
Packin' Jack
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009

I notice that you include a main repack with yours for free.

I refuse to pack mains after a reserve repack. I hook the main on and do a continuity check and thats it. After that it is their own responsibility. I have had a couple of times where someone has chopped on the first jump after a repack. I can stand back and not get involved. If I had packed the main (hopefully they wouldnt have had the chop) then it gets tricky
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Yes, I also used to repack mains, but quit after "Fred" gave me too much flack.
It seems that "Fred" was doing hop-and-pops from 2,000 feet (2,000 feet, my eye).
"Fred" tossed his pilot chute right after exit.
When his Stiletto-class main did not open immediately, "Fred" went straight to his reserve ripcord - omitting to cutaway in his haste.
Then "Fred" acted all surprised when he found himself hanging under two canopies.
Even though he is old-school, "Fred" compounded his error by refusing to buy me a bottle of wine.
When "Fred" tried to blame me, he burned a bridge.
"Fred's" worst mistake was trying to "BS" a technician in his area of expertise!

I have never packed a main for a customer since then.

I am a student and I have found this discussion VERY helpful. The take-home message for me is that the "reserve repack" services offered vary significantly from rigger to rigger. I have learned that I need to be specific about what work I want done, and what the price is for each element.

Caveat Emptor

Thank you!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I didn't mention it before, but in addition to the main repack, I offer a 14-day guarantee. It isn't a guarantee that the pack jobs will work, but if you have a reserve ride within 14 days of the repack date, I will do the subsequent inspection and repack for free.
Packin' Jack
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009