flyingferret

Smoke Cannisters

Recently smoke has become more popular due to the cool effects it produces in freefly tracking dives. I am curious as to the source. When I tried to find them about a year ago, when I was still into RW, I had a real hard time locating any. And everyone at my DZ said....oh, dont do that, you will burn something. So does anyone have any advice/sources? I want to try it sometime.
Malachi

Do a search on the entire site for smoke. This has been brough up before.
Basically your mount needs to be cutawayable and not touching your skin or your jump suit. I've got a hole in mine from where the ash of my canister fell through it when I was taking the canister off. Para-Gear sells it, but at a HUGE markup. You can order by the case from the maker cheaper. It is a Haz-mat and it has to go ground shipping plus at like $10 per canister, they add up quick.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Don't buy your smoke from Para-Gear. A lot of people have been complaining that they have received old dud cannisters and Para-Gear makes no warranty on them. If they sell you a bad one, your loss, not theirs.
Definitely not the best example of customer service.
Kris

I've heard that too but don't want to bash anyone on here any more. Thats why I said to contact the maker, they get you a fresh box and have it to you before it has a chance to even get a month or 2 old.
We did a Red/White/Blue smoke jump in late September after getting the airspace opened back up. As you can see the Red was a old and it was pretty much a dud. The blue was kinda old and it was comming out in spurts. The white was fairly fresh. It burned for 70 seconds. I had smoke trailing under canopy forever after it burned out too. Deploying in a smoke cloud stinks up your gear briefly I found out.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Hi all,
just for your entertainment - watch this incredible
skyray flight with smoke! above Hoexter/Germany. Glide ratio 3:1 and horizontal topspeed of 140 mph! Spectators were thinking of a jet! This thing is awesome!
Blues Marcus
PS: Later today I will search for the adress data of the German makers if not anybody posts it before. They make canisters especially for skydivers - don't know if you use the same?
--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around ;-)

The smoke cannisters are made by Comet GmbH in Germany especially for freefall. They smoke for approx. 45 seconds and should not be opened under canopy or on the ground. Their website http://www.comet-pyro.de is under construction at the moment. Their address: Comet GmbH, Vielaender Weg 147, 27574 Bremerhaven, Germany, mail [email protected]. Btw their colors are great!
Blues Marcus
--

was this guy on a wingsuit or sommat? Cool video

Yeah it's really cool! I love the part where he is doing this sharp right turn most - and the part where he is braking - wow!
"Skyray" is a rigid wing for skydivers. Visit the skyray website to experience this awesome thingy ;-)
Blues Marcus
--

Malachi,
I haven't heard about it for some months, so the best is to either go fill out their feedback form here or try to send Christoph Aarns a mail (he works at Skydive Daedalus in Hoexter) [email protected] - he could give you first-hand info as he is the main test pilot of "Skyray".
Blues Marcus
--