FreeflyGoat

What is your favorite freefly container and why?

I love my Mirage G3 UNISYN. I have the freefly deployment handle and because of the bullet-proof construction the entire container will stay closed until I open it, period.
I am a big guy too and I find the UNISYN harness to be the most comfortable that I have tried on compared to the standard Mirage, a Talon and a Javelin that I have jumped.
The Mirage is definitely pricey (thank God for my staff discount) but it is really well built, uses top quality hardware, and I have recieved nothing but great service from Bill & the gang at Mirage.
If I didn't have a Mirage I think the only other container I would check out would be the Wings.
Kris

I have a Mirage G3 and love it, but the Voodoo is also an awesome rig.. I haven't jumped the Wings.. The only problem with the Voodoo is that they don't offer it in appropriate size combinations for me.. I refuse to go down to a 126 reserve just so that I can keep my current main - a 160 reserve is as small as I want to go..
Mike

Two things I don't like about Mirages - the price (which is almost understandable considering how labor intensive it must be to manufacture - all those pieces...) and the ends on the cutaway housings - I don't think sharp edges are a good idea anywhere near cutaway cables, I prefer smooth grommets inside the eye.

My Mirage G3 has a single piece ending on the cutaway cable housings - no sharp edges whatsoever.....did the older ones have grommets there?
One problem with the Mirage is that they use short shank grommets on the closing flaps, which if not properly crimped can have sharp edges.....easy fix, have them re-crimped by just about any major loft with a grommet machine.. When I got my Mirage, my rigger re-crimped one of the grommets because it had a slight edge on it(not good near the closing loop), but the rest were fine..
Mike

My fiance prefers her Reflex and is already talking about the "hottest rig on the market, the Trident" (she has tried my G-3, Vortex and M-2) I prefer the Vortex. With so many variables to consider in rig fit and performance, how can we say "this is the best rig?" Take a look at the container or canopy reviews at this site. There are actually no negative reviews. Everyone loves their gear, "it's the best!". Do we lack obectivity? Most certainly! Considering the price of equipment and the hunger for ad dollars, do you really think the Parachutist or Skydiving would have the guts (or capital reserves) to do an empirical comparison of equipment? Profitability and politics always come before objectivity. So think what you like, but, "THE VORTEX KICKS ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

My Mirage G3 has a single piece ending on the cutaway cable housings - no sharp edges whatsoever

I'm talking about the inside of the "eye" on the single piece ending. Put a finger on either side of it and push down, you'll see what I mean when you pull your fingers away and see round imprints on them. Think cable suck through here.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

In reply to: Skybytch's comment "I'm talking about the inside of the "eye" on the single piece ending. Put a finger on either side of it and push down, you'll see what I mean when you pull your fingers away and see round imprints on them. Think cable suck through here. "
I think you are miss understanding how the forces act on the cable, loop, and end fitting. The end fitting that Mirage Systems used from 1996-2002 was designed by the Army to reduce the likelihood of the cable being "sucked" through the end fitting during deployment. The smooth flat surface distributes the force over a greater area, reducing the likelihood of kinking or worse yet pulling through.
This year Mirage Systems retooled the end fitting to improve the design that the US Army developed a number of years ago. This was at a great cost to Mirage Systems. They believes that it provides a safer cutaway system to the jumper. The VERY common amp end fitting was developed from an electrical connection crimp, bell telephone wire housing, and a grommet. It's cheap and it works well in MOST situations. But in heavy riser loads it FAILS, allowing the riser loop to pull the cable through beveled grommet impeding a cutaway.
BTW the Army has over 20,000 end fittings in service. All of them have an exceptional record.

I am looking at a G3, with or without UNISYN... is it worth the exra cash?:|

I think it is. I've tried on Mirage G3's with the standard harness and with UNISYN. I really prefer the rings.

That having been said, if I was going to buy a rig tomorrow I'd have a hard time choosing between a Wings or an infinity.

I just can't justify the price on the Mirage. You can get the same quality, comfort, and safety for a lot less cash by going to an Infinity or Wings.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The vortex II is made by Chute Shop South Africa. Their website is down in the moment, but you can take a look here:
http://www.vortex2systems.com/term.htm and here are some pics:
http://www.chuteshop.co.uk/vortex album.htm
Looks like a javelin - and is really cool, comfortable, and cheap! No one makes smaller rigs for what canopy combination ever! Definitely.

--
Perfect speed, my son, is being there. - Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Chute Shop has changed name, and is now known as "Parachute Systems"

They make the Vortex II.

The new web site is:

http://www.parachutesystems.co.za/

For those of you, who would like to see what a Vortex II look like, I have posted a few pictures of my Vortex II, in the "General Skydiving Discussions" forum. Look for the post: "Here's my new toy"

;)

Yves.

I know you weren't asking me, but...

If price was no factor, I'd still buy a Wings. I've personally seen 2 premies on a G3, not cool. Not only that, but I'm not going to spend nearly $1000 extra on a rig that is no better then a Wings. That would be asinine.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If $$$$ is not a factor, you'd get an Infinity over a Mirage G3? Why?
Ps. this is for Freeflying.

Thx :o

If money wasnt an issue i would probably still get an infinity because of delivery times (even though i have seen a few that took much longer than the promised time). Plus infinity is closer to me. If youre buying your first container, get it used if you can find something because you are most likely going to downsize in a relatively short amount of time.

I know it is for freeflying. The infinity and wings are both just as safe as the mirage or anything else.

I, personally am on my 5th Wings Container and have to agree with just about everyone in here. Their Customer support is, by far, the best in the industry. I have not had any problems with this container system, period. I predominately do Freeflying and Wingsuit flying and have not found a better container system for the money!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

Defanatly WINGS! I have never had any issues, and i've been jump'n them since there beginning.

You've been sponsored from the beginning too;)
Obviously this is a very Wings friendly Thread.

I'll take the Infinity for a number of reasons.

Great riser coverage.
Larger main pin cover.
Exellent Reserve pin coverage.
Very packer and rigger friendly.
Non exposed reserve pilot chute.

I have the oppurtunity to get some free equipment but I chose to purchase an Infinity.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto