FreeflyGoat

What is your favorite freefly container and why?

cause of the price? or the fact that you now think these two brands are better than your current G3?

Price is definitely a consideration, but I look at functionality, too. The Infinity and the Wings are both bullet-proof when it comes to riser, bridle, and pin protection.

I wouldn't have an issue freeflying in either of them. The only thing I'd be hesitant to use the Wings for would be CRW because of the pop-top.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I've personally seen 2 premies on a G3, not cool.

Fooey. If someone had a premature opening, not caused by hitting someone/something on exit/in freefall, in a G3 then they weren't maintaining their gear. Period.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Well, on the first jump, he hadn't hit anything, he had a rigger check his gear. The rigger said his gear was fine, no problems, that it is well maintained.

After the second one (at the AOT boogie), we didn't have any collisions in freefall, exit, etc. We just jumped off the tailgate and campfired. He premied at about 7k. Had another rigger (this time Todd) look at it, although he said the gear was fine, it would probably help to replace the BOC pouch, but it looked fine.

Kris,
I'm just telling you what I've seen, and also to prove a point. Premature openings can happen on ANY gear, even if it is maintained.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm just telling you what I've seen, and also to prove a point. Premature openings can happen on ANY gear, even if it is maintained.

or mismatched or not properly fitted. i know which guy your talking about. i was under the impression that the pouch on his rig was too big (or pilot chute too small). IMO, if it happened once it'll happen again. Instead of getting the problem fixed he continued to jump it. Since the problem was first indentified due to incident, I think if the rigger failed to see the problem then he should have asked another rigger. Therefore, I don't think it's entirely fair to place all the blame for the second premature deployment on the manufacturer. Instead place it on the jumper (and those on that dive that knew) for a little bit of complacency that could have resulted in tragedy had someone been above him.

not trying to rant, just giving another perspective to your story.

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCR#17
http://www.freeflyers.com

I was very busy that weekend, so I missed the middle stuff you're talking about. I know that Todd said the rig looked ok, but he should probably replace the BOC anyways.

could have resulted in tragedy had someone been above him.

That's for sure. Pilotmike and myself had joked about that before going on the dive, saying "besure not to totum poll Atiff" and stuff like that. Both Pilotmike and myself were moving in for some foot dock action when he "popped" out of our world.

Actually, I wish I had video of it, because when it happened, Pilotmike and myself looked at each other with "Damn!" faces then proceeded to rip up the end of the FF dive with some nice transisitons and such till breakoff time. Since Atiff was ok, it was actually pretty funny.

I'm going to disagree with this,,,,

The Infinity and the Wings are both bullet-proof when it comes to riser, bridle, and pin protection.

The main flap just loves to pop open on a lot of Wings. The reserve tab does too. I see nothing wrong with the riser covers most of the time. The covers are shor enough and tight enough that even if it's open it contains the riser pretty well.

The new wings design is much better, and has addressed this for the most part. There is only one new design at our dz and it's much nicer and much cleaner lines than before.

There are a few instances I don't feel like getting into on the open forum cuz It gets heated and often out of hand. I don't have time to write very often but I'll be willing to share via PM.

All that said, I've not seen premature deployments on either rig, nor have I seen any thing more then just open flaps. The bridle stayed put even thought covers were open.

Still I much prefer the Infinity.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have a question, you say that the main and reserve flap came open? I can't open the reserve flap by hand let alone in freefall, it is designed to stay closed. The top flap is routed through an elastic band that is sewn into the reserve cover flap. (*I know, I just confused myself. Don't know how else to explain that). I am kinda curious what you meant by that. As for the Main flap coming open, I have had 5 Wings containers and the only time that the main flap, (*Or Pin Cover, which I think you are refering to) comes open is when I am packing.
Once again, not trying to stir anything up, but would like to understand what exactly you meant by that!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

Same here (except I've only had 1 Wings, the one I have now). The reserve flap is most definately NOT opening. It takes a bit of work to open the little piece on the bottom below the strap that goes around the top closing flap.

As for the main flap, the only time that it has opened on me is when I hit the door of a KingAir on the way out. I knew it was flapping the moment I left, so I reached back for a quick pin check, it was all good, so the skydive continued. Otherwise, it is still closed when I lay the rig down to pack it.

Note.. I said... many Wings ... not all wings. There's a LOT of em out there.

The reserve cover flap can be lifted to look at the pin. When it's not tucked in, it's open That's more of an annoyance than a hazzard. By the way the old style was closed buy a piece of Type 12 webbing which is 1 and 3/4 inch wide, the new is closed by 3 inch type 4. None were closed with elastic.

back to the first statement... Note.. I said... many wings ... not all wings.

I've seen plenty of main flaps come open on wings. Some do, some don't.

I did my best not to bash a product because they are good rigs. They are just not my favorite but still a very good rig. I was only pointing out what does happen on some rigs.

The pull out design on a Wings needs some help too. It's difficult to pull. After I modified the bridle, handle, and the lanyard it works fine.

The new handle is ok but the lanyard and the Bridle need fixing. Sorry, I haven't sent a prototype to Henri yet to see if he'll use it.

.. and now...back to work...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I agree your comment hookitt. I have new Wings with very bullet proof pin cover flaps, but we have also many older Wings at our DZ. Some looks like there is no change for main pin cover to stay closed, because it's so short on the older ones.

I definitely gotta give it up to Sunpath!! My Javelin Odyssey has been nothing but great. The comfort, functionality, and style is tough to beat. The one factor that I'm not so crazy about is how much it costs and the delivery time. You definitely get what you pay for with the Javelin Odyssey though. There are so many good rigs out there in the market today, but my pick goes to Sunpath's premiere rig.

Now that i've got my Wings, i can't say anything else would outclass it.

I had wanted to get a Jav Odyssey before i got the Wings.
What bothered me on the Odyssey is that they still use that IMHO outdated main top flap design that IMHO just won't shut failsafe on top of a bulky pack job or big main..

When i want to check my Wings, i have to use a certain amount of force to get the main pin cover flap undone, and it is long enough on new rigs for sure. Say two inches on the main flap.
Apart from the reserve container design, flap protection is very similar on most containers anyway (except for SP).
Comfortwise i must say that my new Wings is the most comfy rig i've ever put on.
I would get another one anytime an can only recommend it.

my Mirage (...) and looks sleeker than the others

Forget it, dude, yours won't live up to mine! ;):P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Just wanted to input...

I just got a new mirage and it just rocks!! I only got the hip rings instead of the unisyn... but that alone is so freaking comfortable! Man... when I close this baby and look at it... I know it's not opening till I want it to! (of course, it's possible... I just feel that way!) SO comfortable!

I like the vectors, wings, and infinitys as well.

Chaps
Carpe diem

I like the Teardrop SF, mainly because that's what I've ordered. If I could afford any rig though, I'd have to say Voodoo or G3.
---
I must agree. My TSE Superfly TearDrop is still a very reliable and comfortable container after seven years. I like the fact that the reserve flap is not exposed. The main pin flap and riser covers are pretty secure as well. I would say it´s "a classic for freeflying". I am really fond of it, after all, it´s my first rig and it´s totally customized !
In Argentina you can find a lot of Atoms (Parachute de France) as well.
If I am ever lucky to afford another one, I would probably try a Mirage G4 or a Javelin Odyssey.

---------------
Alex / FLY4FUN Team - Curious? ready, set, CLICK!

Wow, this post got dredged back up from last year and now it's on a roll again. I love starting posts that go on and on and on and on.......

Oh, and I still love Mirage even though I had to sell mine. I'll have enough $$$ soon to buy a brand new one though.

Ok guys, here's the scoop: My Vodoo (the newer model) is not the rig everyone thinks. Comfort is #1. You won't find a more comfortable rig anywhere. My biggest beef with the vodoos are that their riser covers suck. My friend had to cut his main away after one of his riser covers came out (and so did his risers) and when he deployed, it was all shit. Secondly, contrary to their advertisements, there are no secondary riser covers on the Vodoos now. They need them - trust me. It's not good when your riser covers come out when you put your rig on. If they fixed this problem, it would be an A+ container.

My pick? Mirage 1st (excellent riser/pin protection and unique line stowing) and Vector Micron 2nd. I have friends with both rigs and I've jumped and packed both. My next rig is a Mirage.

Keep in mind here that harness fit is extremely important - more than you might think. I had a containter that I bought off the shelf, and the harness was a bit too small for me. The rig itself (a vector 3) is extremely freefly friendly. But, since the harness was too small for me, any time I'd raise my shoulders, it would put tension along the risers, and would occasionally open a riser cover. Now, the V3 risers covers are very good. I spoke with Vector about the issue, and they agreed that it was a harness/fit issue. In fact, they had seen this type of problem before, not just on their rigs.

I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the rig before I sold it, so I sent it to Relative Workshop first. They said the rig was fine. I sold it to a smaller person, and they did not report any problems or issues.

I have a Mirage G3 now, and love it. They start out a bit stuff, at first, but once they're broken in a bit, they're very comfy, to me. Our team almost got a rig sponsorship (from another manufacturer) at one point, and (I'm glad we didn't) I was extremely hesitant to stop jumping my mirage.