freeflir29

Whew!!!

Please be careful out there. All names are withheld and no skydivers were seriously injured in the making of a video this weekend. However, it could easily have been fatal for at least 4 people on the skydive. Situation...8 way Free Fly. Launch a 4 way Sit train with everyone else HD. The sit train goes to shit cause the back was falling way faster than the front. (Guess where I was...) Skydive explodes into several two and three ways. (bunch of cameras of course, so everyone has to geek!!!) Break off at 5,000! People are going in all directions and we had one collision and one near miss. Everyone was fine except some sore ribs and such. Clear behind and above you before you take off. This isn't always easy.....but make sure you do it!!!! It may save your life or someone elses.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

An 8way is a very very big freefly group, especially if you are mixing head up and head down.
An 8way sit is not as much of a big deal if everyone is an accomplished sit flyer.
I've got well over 500 freefly jumps and I wouldn't go head down on an 8way or hop on one unless the other folks on it were more experienced than I am.
Also, maintain discipline at breakoff, especially if people are off level.
Don't just go flat and and start tracking in a rush because your dytter is beeping.
There's a lot of time from 5000 feet, take a breath, look all around, locate everyone else on the jump, and then pick your tracking direction and smoothly and safely transition to it.

"An 8way is a very very big freefly group"
Yep....except the failed exit attempt all you see of me in the video is lurking about 20-30 ft out. I ended up being a little out after the tumbled exit and the "Center" looked like such Caos that I didn't get any closer. After watching that video I was happy I kept those reservations. I also left at 5200 ft instead of 5000 just cause of the cluster. 8 way was definately big. We got smarter after that and kept the groups closer to 4 or 5 at most. Much easier to work with.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

the sitflyer escaped with slightly bruised ribs
the tracker was unscathed
Could have been a lot worse but stuff happens.
Both are very good freefliers and are not considered dangerous...just kinda complacent in this instance.
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

I reckon you probably learn a lot more and have lots more fun on smaller ways as you can do loads more stuff as soon as you start doing the big ways ( not that i don't enjoy them as they are a blast) you spend the whole jump concentrating on where everyone is
just my 0.10 euros
cya moose

Whoa, stuff does happen to everyone. Experienced or not.
My biggest was the 11 way on my 100th. And it was very carefully planned. All of us going over the dive plan very seriously. Then we dirt dived it and practiced the exit and the line up exit.
My usual is a 3 or 4 way. But not with just anybody, I am very particular.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

1.anything over a 3-way is a big way. If you dont have 4 jumpers that can freefly an exit and then form a base and hold until breakoff then nobody else except a cameraman has any business exiting with that group. No dockers, NO LURKERS!!!!!!!!
2.Skill level should be determined before the dive takes place.
3. Camera work should be left up to a cameraman on the outside on bigways. Cameras in the base do nothing but distract jumpers from the primary goal of the skydive, and that is to fly your slot not geek the camera. All the footage you end up getting anyways is a close up of Joe Freeflyers nostril passages and a few people zooming in and out of frame.
4.Stagger breakoff when you have a bigway. Outside dockers should be long gone before the base decides to leave. That way people are not fighting for breakoff space. Which oviously happened on this dive.
When taking on the duties of an organizer YOU take on the responsibility of everybodys safety on the dive. If an individual in the group makes a bad decision it reflects back on YOU as an organizer, IF you did not provide everyone on the dive with a safe plan.
FreeflyGoat
AD-A#292