skygeek

Looking for a Mentor

Yo guys and gals! I have a problem. i jump at a small dz in the middle of Texas and I'm looking for a a freefly mentor. i have about 350 jumps all but about 100 are freefly. The problem is I dont have anybody to jump with or get pointers from. I can sitfly great and I am stable in hd with a little bit of control but I need some fine tuning. This is where the mentor part comes in. I dont have anyone to ask questions.
Can you help?

What city are you close to? There are two great DZs here in Houston with plenty of people willing to help you. Skydive Dallas and Skydive San Marcos also have some great freefliers.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Try Skydive San Marcos, it's actually in Fentress Texas. The people there are great, lots of Freefliers, and the Gravity Rats are almost always out there doing coaching. Plus if I'm correct thier $99 weekends are suppose to start up again.
Kelli

Heard some bad stories from that dz.....formation load....

That was a terrible accident that could have happened anywhere. There were a lot of factors that went into it and I don't think anybody really feels that it was the result of SDSM running an unsafe operation.
I certainly wouldn't have a problem jumping there. In fact I've been wanting to go for quite some time and justhaven't had the chance to get away for a weekend.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Hey, there's always *stories* about other DZs and I'm sure there are some about your very own home DZ. Remember, take what you hear with a grain of salt, you may hear a story about X dz but it may or may not be true. Hell, what if it is and something happened somewhere once, that doesn't mean that it could/would happen again. Especially if it was something that happened due to a strange situation and a number of variables. I'm not saying that if there IS a situation to continue jumping, or even leave with out voicing your concern (you could save someone's life) but understand gossip/hearsay/slander and go on.
Shit happens, FIDO (for all who know what that means:)Blue Skies
AggieDave '02
Too much of anything is bad, Too much burbon is just right.--MarkTwain

go to skydivehouston.com check out the aircraft, the dz is in waller. i jump there all the time, i live 17 miles to your south. do youself a favor and quit jumping that 64 cessna, 30 minute climbing to altitude piece of junk. i'd be more worried about that plane, than what has happned in fentress. as for a mentor, "forget about it" hire yourself a coach, you be somone's mentor! always reach for a higher level. i'm in the range you are as well, i'll jump with you, but i'm no mentor, but there are people at waller who will help anyway they can. ask around when you get there, i'll be there tomorrow, peace!
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

but ive heard other stories as well

Gossip is evil; don't believe everything you hear. Go there and check it out for yourself. At your experience level you should be able to tell in one day of hanging out if it is a safe operation or not.
Hell, if every DZ that has had an "incident" was seriously dangerous we wouldn't have many places left to jump!
pull and flare,
lisa

Let's take Raeford for example. I came into the sport thinking it was normal to have an ambulance to the DZ 2 or 3 times in a weekend. Then I came to SD Atlanta and have only seen one serious injury all year. It just so happens that Raeford has a lot of military people with a lot of testosterone that tend to push the envelope more. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with DZ management or the JM's at the clubs. In fact I couldn't even begin to count the times I have seen people chewed out and or grounded there. Just a lot of young "Gung Ho" jumpers having sometimes too much fun....
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Skygeek,
My Mentor Program has helped a ton of people. I guess you get Parachutist, see page 14. :)My main purpose is to help people.
Figure out how far you are willing to go and let me know. I will get you a Mentor. Ordinarily it is for low numbered jumpers. 350 is kind of a push, but I will try.
As far as gossip, I have never in my entire life encountered anything worse than DZ gossip. Period.
The horrible accident has been investigated to the tiniest detail. I would go to those reports to find out what happened if you are interested. Not the DZ story. How in the world could that be anything but-an accident. The two planes needed to be farther apart. imho
Its difficult to find a group of FreeFlyers at a Cessna DZ due to the altitude issue. Cessna DZ's otherwise ROCK. The people are nice and jumping from a Cessna requires a skill of a different nature. You have less room for error. The incident reports published never say anything like-...due to the fact that the skydiver jumped from a Cessna....
If it were that easy to have a DZ then everyone would have one. If you have 350 jumps from that particular Cessna, forget the gossip in here and judge for yourself. You are the expert on that one. I personally wouldnt call anything at a DZ junk. Not even a barbque pit. If I needed a ride to town or a ride to altitude, I certainly would not complain if it was a moped.
So, staying on the topic of you getting a Mentor - I hope I can help and I have not struck out yet. You just may have to go to a bigger DZ. And I do salute you with my helmet off for having such a good track record, as far as I know, jumping from Cessnas.
I have done 3 way freeflys from a Cessna and think about it- All three of us were hanging from the strut. Thats where we gave the count. The pilot off sets that. Then we all let go at the same time. And the pilot off sets the fact that his right hand drag and weight has suddenly left. With every concieveable safety precaution checked off - it still doesnt get any more dangerous.
As far as where you can go to expect some help... Dallas or San Marcus have the best freeflyers. And then San Antonio but if you are willing to go that far, go to San Marcus. You need to find out for yourself about that DZ, anyway. I am positive you will change your mind.
If I had a choice I would go to Dallas. My friend there has his Air Dolphin number and you never hear about him. He is a quiet Dude. But bad ass. I see him in pictures all the time with the biggest names in Freeflying. But I wish he would stay in the same suit to make it easier on me.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

First I would like to say that I have nothing against smsd. I've never been there. I've never jumped there. Can we put this behind us now? Jeez. The whole reason I started this post in the first place was to get someone to help me. I not try to bash anybodies dz.
Just for the record I jump where I do because this is where I learned to fly, because this is where my Dad and brother jump, because the people here are great and we all look out for each other. As far as the plane goes at the moment I'm jumping a Super otter in my own backyard.
Now we may not always have the big plane but while we do I was looking for some kind FreeFly person to maybe take it apon there self to help a fellow freak.
now i know that it was a mistake.

NTSB Identification: FTW01LA132
Accident occurred Sunday, May 27, 2001 at Fentress, TX
Aircraft:de Havilland DHC-6, registration: N125PM
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 22 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On May 27, 2001, at 1120 central daylight time, a de Havilland DHC-6, multi-engine airplane, N125PM, came in contact with a skydiver that had exited a Beech King Air 90, multi-engine airplane, N276VM, during a formation air drop at 14,000 feet msl near Fentress, Texas. The skydiver received fatal injuries. The commercial pilot of the de Havilland was not injured, and the 21 skydivers that exited the de Havilland were not injured. The commercial pilot of the King Air was not injured, and the other eight skydivers that exited the King Air were not injured. The de Havilland sustained minor damage, and the King Air was not damaged. Both aircraft were owned by an individual and operated by Sky Dive San Marcos, Fentress, Texas, under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the local flight. Both aircraft departed the private airstrip at Fentress, Texas, approximately 20 minutes prior to the accident.
The operator reported to the FAA inspector, that the two aircraft departed the airstrip for the formation flight to 14,000 feet msl. The de Havilland was to be the lead aircraft with the King Air in trail. During the flight, the King Air moved into the lead with the de Havilland in trail. When the aircraft reached 14,000 feet msl, the pilots talked to each other via the aircraft radio, and notified the Austin controller that they were ready to release the skydivers. Subsequently, the de Havilland turned on a green light which signaled to the skydivers that they could commence exiting the de Havilland. When the King Air skydivers saw the jumpers departing the de Havilland, they began to exit the King Air. After the last jumper exited the King Air, he saw that the parachute of the previous jumper had not opened. He made an attempt to reach the jumper; however, the jumper fell to the ground. The reserve parachute of the jumper was found deployed. According to the operator, this was the first formation air drop flight for either pilot in multi-engine aircraft. Both aircraft landed without further incident.
The pilot of the de Havilland reported that the aircraft was on a magnetic heading of 200 degrees in straight and level flight when "suddenly something hit what I thought was my right wing. The airplane started to vibrate, [and] I shut down the right engine."
The FAA inspector, who responded to the site, examined both aircraft. On the de Havilland, the right engine's propeller had one of the propeller blades bent. Additionally, there were scrapes found along the right side of the fuselage of the de Havilland.
Description: This jumper was participating in a 30-way skydive, exiting from a King Air, which was to be flying trail behind an Otter. She was somewhere in the middle of the exit lineup in the king air. At exit time, however, the king air ended up in front and above the otter. This jumper, shortly after exiting the King Air, struck the propeller of the Otter. One camera man observed this jumper spinning out of control, and went twice for the reserve handle, succeeding on the 2nd attempt. The reserve, however, did not deploy correctly, as it had been badly damaged during the collision. The cameraman landed covered in blood etc. She landed off the DZ in a yard, and her significant other landed nearby. She was pronounced DOA by the corner, having been seriously injured from the chest up by the prop-strike.
Lessons: This is a unique event. King Air's can fly at a higher airspeed than Twin Otters, and it is possible and error was made by either or both pilots when setting up the exit. However, the jumpers in the door of the King Air should have had visual contact with the Otter. Very likely, they exited the plane despite having the wrong configuration without considering the possibility of collision. Given that this has never happened before, it's not unreasonable to fail to consider this possibility when outside the door of the plane, ready to go. Certainly, this incident will be discussed widely, and hopefully jumpers will be encouraged to abort a skydive when presented with unfavorable positioning of the aircraft.
i believe this will put an end to any conclusions that have been percieved. (hopefully) the dzo's are kewel people, this could have happned anywhere. airann's "mentor program" may be of some help. good luck.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Geek: I am so sorry this got weird on you. It has nothing to do with your question. I also appreciate your post.
If you send me an email I will get someone for you.
Where do you jump? That is totally bad ass that you have an Otter so close. Whew, my spare change would majically disappear daily if I had a dz that close.
btw: I learned a whole lot by watching videos of my friends and also of other top freeflyers. Also there are videos on line. There are some off the Monkey Claw site. There is a thread in this freefly forum that I posted a while back about videos.
If you watch the Flyboyz Party Mix look at the exits that they do and give to their students. It puts them in a head down position pretty quick. Interesting.......
I would be happy to film you and give you some pointers anytime. Its really the best training tool there is. There are certainly better flyers than me. But rarely do I see anyone work harder than me at things. And I can keep up with anyone up to 200 or so mph. Everything after that is Bullshyt and doesnt belong in safe freeflying.
I will meet you anywhere half way or Dallas?. :)Blue Peace~ AirAnn
http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

"One camera man observed this jumper spinning out of control, and went twice for the reserve handle, succeeding on the 2nd attempt."
I don't know about you. But I'll sure as hell jump at a DZ where the camera men will dive down to my spinning unconscious body and go for my reserve, not once but twice.

I got to this too late; ya beat me to it Dave... have you read all 5? Crazy. :)I like to drive my co-worker Steve nuts. He'll ask a question and I'll answer 43. Then he has to correct me, cuz we all know the answer is really 42. ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

That's the only book that I have 2 copies of for some reason. One is the big blue one with all 5 books and the shortstory included and the other one is a leather bound with the same stuff in it.
Yep, I'm a nerd. But funny is funny... :D
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."