Kelly

tracking dive question

im posting here because tracking seems to be more of a freefly type jump even though youre flying on your belly..
i want to see how slow i can go. should i de arch and just fly that or should i go for a hard core flat track? I did a tracking dive and got my fall rate down to 94 and 98 mph but i was also dearching to get back up. so im not sure which one caused such a slow fall rate.
i dont want to adapt my clothing. i want to see what control i have with normal clothes on.
so if anybody can give me any tips to get my fall rate sub 90 mph please help!!
thanks
ps- this is just for my amusement, ill be doing a solo jump.
http://www.geocities.com/flynfroggie/skydiving_friends.html

"i want to see what control i have with normal clothes on."
try a clothes off track?
Seriously, the slowest fall rate will be given by the fastest forward speed attained. That's because you are turning that downward momentum into forward airspeed. In a track you are creating lift. The more lift you create the faster your forward speed and slower your fall rate. Just like a bird man suit. BTW, this has nothing to do with group tracking dives. There you have to match both forward speed and fall rate with other people. Thats the tough part for me....I fall like a greased Coke machine in a belly attitude. Luckily I am in very good control of the head down thing now....:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

If your arms are held in tight and you de-arch slightly (a little head low), you will reach maximum foward speed.
I am a 195 lb male 5'11" which means I am thick (thick headed more like) and I can track 95 mph before I get tired and my form goes bad.
I bet you can go slower than that.
ramon

I've found that if you put your arms down at your side, a little lower than your beer belly, and then cup the air with your arms and hands while you put your feet and legs together and point your toes and then roll your shoulders in and stick your butt up a little, you'll be able to really slow down your fall rate and track like a bat outa hell.
Blue Ones,
Nathan
A# 39553

"put your feet and legs together"
No...No...You don't want them together. This will put you in a very head low situation. It's better to spread them shoulder width apart. Definately point your toes and if your tracking away from others put your chin on your chest (So you can see your altimeter and whomever you are tracking away from.)
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

a good way to think about it all is to grab the out side legs of your jumpsuit and dearch as if you are hugging a beach ball and head down. now this can all go to ratshit when you have someone ahead of you (especially when you want to get them on film) so make sure your head is down point your toes. a good idea is to get the whole musscle memory thing going. just stand on the ground and really straigten out feel the muscles on the outside of your knees bunch up and try and get the same feeling as you are tracking.
just my 50 Euro cents worth
cya moose

Anyone here tried tracking on their backs. That is some hard shit. IT make you fold up. Anyone have any pointers? The only way I can keep flat on my back is by having my arms straight out to my sides. When I try to point them towards my feet, my upper body goes low.
Help, please.

Anyone here tried tracking on their backs. That is some hard shit. IT make you fold up. Anyone have any pointers? The only way I can keep flat on my back is by having my arms straight out to my sides. When I try to point them towards my feet, my upper body goes low.

What are you doing with your legs? When I back track, I put my arms out to my side for a slow track(such as letting somebody catch up), and legs bent slightly at the hips.. For a faster track, I move my arms in toward my body, so that they are at about a 30 degree angle to my body, and VERY slight angle at the hips.. Your upper body SHOULD go low - such as your upper body would if you go into a steep track on your belly.. If you want to flatten your track, arch a bit(which, since you are on your back, is the same as de-arching on your belly) and push your arms down lower than your butt..
I can track fairly fast on my belly, and very fast on my back.....go figure.. My back track is MUCH faster and flatter than my belly tracking..
Mike

thanks for the advice guys. I didnt end up doing this skydive, I was having wayy to much fun doing 2 and 3 way sit jumps. Prolly wont jump again until the freezefest, and to be honest, i hope im too busy packing to even get a chance to jump (im so broke its sad). but maybe a sunset load or something...
http://www.geocities.com/flynfroggie/skydiving_friends.html