ojf1982

Exiting

A good drill dive that I was taught for solo's was to climb out like you are going to do a poised exit, then close your eyes. Exit the plane and roll forward into the relative wind, keep your eyes closed. When you start to come off of the hill you should be feeling an equal amount of resistance on both sides of your body (I fly the daffy position so that means both legs should be feeling the same amount of pressure). Just relax and remember to keep your hands below your elbows and concentrate on flying with your legs. Fifteen seconds later open your eyes, are you headdown? Worked well for me. Let me know how it goes for you.
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

A good exit to a head-down is to get out and float facing the rear of the plane. then step off the plane (dont rotate yourself) and watch the tail of the plane as it goes over you. then when you come over the hill and start to go vertical look at the horizon.
as far as actually flying headdown i am just learning myself, so i can't help you there.
blue skies
Tomas

This is a very good newbie exit because if you see the plane then you are maintaining heading not spinning.
I recommend doing this exit every time you do a solo head down followed by a careful 90 turn (while head down-ish :D) away from the flightline so that if you happen to start a mild or steep track (we all do that while learning) you will not track into the groups ahead or behind you.
good luck
PS. it is best to really work on the sit and be able to do the following before really concentratiing on HD.
1. 360s left and right
2. front and back loops back to sit keeping heading
3. left and right cartwheels in sit keeping your heading.
make sure you do lots of drill dives doing these maneuvers as they will help you a lot later on
bloo skies
ramon

Ramon is right. You must have rock solid stable place to go to when freeflying. Its the thing that will save everyones life. You are going fast as hell and you must be able to get out of the way -for everyones sake. THINK about it. Nobody has a full face on. We have cameras. etc.
Transition from your sit into head down after you can do everything Ramon listed WIITHOUT lozing altitude. and- Read all the stuff in this Freeflying Forum. Ask Questions you will not be flamed for asking questions. Its the question you dont ask that could hurt you or your jump partner. AND share the info and spread the love. :)But before all of the above - all of you thinking that this is for you - Read this-
NOTABLE OBSERVATION
With the emergence of free flying I have found many are making a big mistake. Many newer jumpers want to go right into free flying without fully developing their belly flying skills. Big Mistake. Even though it sometimes is misinterpreted that sit flying or free flying is "Cool" it's not any "cooler" than belly flying. Even so, the younger jumpers see other people they want to fit in with and they immediately head off in that direction before learning the basics. Never forget belly flying is the survival position. It is the position we track away and deploy in and the position we have our best visual awareness of others and the GROUND. Again, we are changing into a multi dimensional sport where one "does it all". Yes free flying is cool but I encourage all our novices to get involved with the RW organizers and turn some points, learn to swoop and develop those awareness's. I guarantee you you'll need them later on. Being a strong belly flyer will make you a stronger free flyer and a safer jumper.
~ Roger Nelson 12/3/2001
I agree. Know what you are doing and stay sharp on all you skills. You need every single one of them. Too many people talk about how great they fly and you get out there with them and its a MESS.
Now you have seen the films of people buggin out on an RW dive and getting hurt? Now think about that same thing -buggin out- going way faster and not knowing the exact manover to use to stop yourself? ummm Ok?
Here is my sit exit - It isnt perfect - but you can go from that to a stand and go fast enuff to fly with anyone. (but keep your feet a little farther apart) Alot of people think that freeflying fast is the way to go. It isnt. If you can do your skydive slower with precision -its actually better. Watch the films of competition freeflying. Its precise and smooth not so much fast.
So anyway, sit is your survival position for freeflying. Master all this stuff and you will Rock. Then go headdown. Watch your altitude.
http://www.AirAnn.com
Sports don't build character.... they reveal it. -unknown

A good drill dive that I was taught for solo's was to climb out like you are going to do a poised exit, then close your eyes. Exit the plane and roll forward into the relative wind, keep your eyes closed. When you start to come off of the hill you should be feeling an equal amount of resistance on both sides of your body (I fly the daffy position so that means both legs should be feeling the same amount of pressure). Just relax and remember to keep your hands below your elbows and concentrate on flying with your legs. Fifteen seconds later open your eyes, are you headdown?
either i'm on the verge of learning something here myself, or someone gave you some questionable advice. i've never heard of anyone being told to keep there eyes closed. how do you know if your head down position if your eyes are closed? your talking about 15 seconds as well, as free fliers we travel at faster speeds than formation jumpers, 2 ways, 3 ways, etc...one day, your going to have your eyes closed, and open them to find out you have unexpected company. i was taught to keep your eyes on the horizon when in this position, and then of course if you wish, transcend into sit, back, or backtrack away before deployment. i'm not saying your doing the wrong thing here, i'm just saying i've never heard of it. take care
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

i've never heard of anyone being told to keep there eyes closed

Actually, Pat Works also recommends it in The Art of vRW I believe. The idea is to understand how a good head down *feels*... and Pat's approach is a very Zen "be one with your environment" kind of thing. I've kind of thought about doing this as a way of really getting a feel for the wind being balanced all around my body, but I never quite had the guts to actually shut 'em for a bit. ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

i don't have the nerve either! i'll admit it! plus i want to see the plane fly away, and watch the other jumper exit after me, to get a count for myself, of elapsed time before there exit, (i'll most all the time do a back to earth exit, just for this) then i like watching the otter "dive" to get away from the released jumpers, and if i had my eyes shut i'd miss all that fun stuff!
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

i am interested in the pat works writings though, would you be so kind as to inform me where i could obtain his writings?

I bought mine through Square1. Go to the online catalogue & click on Accessories, then Books & Videos.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."