OwenB

DSLR, lenses and video for RW/4way

Probably a simple question to ask but I have a feeling I might be opening up a can of worms here as everybody will probably have their own favourites.

I would love to get into RW camera, but have absolutely no idea where to begin or what kind of camera (DSLR and video) would be right for this? Does anybody have any suggestions or hints/tips?

What would you say to look for in both still and movie?
- image stabilisation?
- lens focal length?
- full frame/crop frame?
- frame rate per second?
- resolution
- shutter release - blow/bite/tongue?

I currently have a low end canon DSLR at home which I mainly use for landscape photography, but was wondering whether this would be suitable with the addition of a few new lenses or whether it would be better to buy something with better specs specifically to be jumping with.

As for video, I wouldn't know where to begin with looking!

Thanks in advance
O

Hi
You do not really need a DSLR for rw jumps. Sure it is nice to shoot some stills once in a while, but I usually prefer to avoid the added strain on my neck. It is also something that you can add later, after you get some experience.

You do need video. For competition jumps it is usual to add a backup camera, in case one fails.
For camera choice, many use a gopro 4 or 5 but I really like my Sony X3000. The stabilisation makes the image super smooth, which the judges seem to like.

By the way I'm in Holland, I'm kind of curious if preferences are different elsewhere.

This was my setup for last year.

Main video: Sony AX-33 - 4k, IBIS
Backup video: GoPro 4 black. Both 4k, one @medium, 1 @wide. Used some 1080p120 during practice for SloMo for coaching
Stills (not used at Nationals, hence two backup cams): Canon SL1 with either EF-S 10-22 or EF-S 24. SL1 with EF-S 24 is a super light setup, but the FPS sucks (2.5 I think)

Setup I'm looking at if I come back from a car accident:
2x Sony X3000 with Hypeye Alphas
Canon M6 with EF-M 15-45 and EF-M 22. I'd mostly use 22 during RW, 15-45 for Canopy and other fun jumps

It seems like almost everyone has a Sony a6xxx on their helmets these days and are getting amazing stills. To each their own.

grantunderland

....Setup I'm looking at if I come back from a car accident:
2x Sony X3000 with Hypeye Alphas.

I have / had 1 Hypeye on one of my X3000's. It stopped working after just a couple of jumps, in one case it showed a red light while nothing was recorded.... during a competition.... thanks to the backup I still had video to show to the judges. I think the micro usb connector is way too flimsy.

evh

***....Setup I'm looking at if I come back from a car accident:
2x Sony X3000 with Hypeye Alphas.

I have / had 1 Hypeye on one of my X3000's. It stopped working after just a couple of jumps, in one case it showed a red light while nothing was recorded.... during a competition.... thanks to the backup I still had video to show to the judges. I think the micro usb connector is way too flimsy.

+1

The connector is a loosely glued together, 3D printed, cheap and underbuild POS.
Hopefully I find aftermarket sollutions to repair mine as it it about to break as well...
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Like someone else mentioned, you wont need stills for RW. Unless your team require a photo of every point they turn hahahahaha.

My setup i started off with was a Sony CX-150(with 0.75 lens) and a Drift Ghost-S. Currently im using 2 x Drift Ghost-S cams on my helmet only.
When filming RW both is set on video, when filming tandems i set the one to stills and the other to video and add the external mic.

I did bought a Canon dslr somewhere in between but since now i have not found a valid reason to mount it to my helmet and i doubt that i will find a reason. But its a nice addition to my camera bag along with a zoom lens to take pics at the dz.