RMK

Sony RX0 - Holy Grail?

Just announced today; possibly a "Holy Grail" for helmet mounted stills and video?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4343428297/sony-rx0-puts-a-1-inch-sensor-into-a-rugged-and-ultra-compact-body

Not cheap, but good specs.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

gowlerk

Sounds very nice. But with an 84 degree FOV fixed lens it would be of limited use in a skydiving environment.

I disagree. At 800 Bucks it is not aimed towards the general skydiver for GoPro-like POV footage. It is aimed at the enthusiast/professional who would like to set himself off from gopro footage, without having to carry a heavy rig on his helmet. For this the camera fits very very well. But let's see how it does. GoPro 5 at linear-fov and stabilizer is a little bit longer than 20mm FF-equiv, versus 24mm on the sony, which I think is a very good field of view for general skydiving filming (not action POV style). I did not read anywhere wether the camera has integrated electronic stabilization, but I guess it will not (has focus peaking though, which sounds kinda useless on a fixed-focus lens ...)

All in all a very welcome addition to the camera market. And lets keep in mind it shoots Slog2 and has clean 4K-HDMI output. If you wanna shoot professionally with a minimal body. If you're looking for a gopro upgrade, this is not what you'd be looking for.

lienbacher

*** I did not read anywhere wether the camera has integrated electronic stabilization, but I guess it will not (has focus peaking though, which sounds kinda useless on a fixed-focus lens ...)

I was surprised at this as well - I would have expected BOSS technology, given how effective it has proven to be.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I am currently shooting with a RX0 (provided to me for testing) and have to say Im impressed.
Image quality is for sure a step up from the GoPro, and having the actual full settings menu available comparable to the sony Alpha / NEX etc mirrorless cameras, it's closer to a tiny mirrorless in functionality and results than a GoPro.

We did a night jump, and seeing the actual black parts of the sky in real black, no grain, and clear, crisp colors of the lights, without blown out colors, while shooting at 120 fps at night....Im impressed! Comparing it side by side to GoPro footage, it was a clear noticeable difference in quality in both low light situations and daylight..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Their 1'' sensors are incredibly good but 720p just doesn't look good when you cut it with other 1080p/4k clips. I'd buy this in an instant if it could shoot the same super crisp 1080/120p as my RX10IV. A 1-2 minute thermal cutoff in normal use would be fine since cooling isn't a problem with skydiving.

But here's a question: How would you rate the 1080/60p? In reviews I've seen it doesn't look as good as the RX10 2/3/4 or RX100 4/5, it looks about halfway between those and the A6000's 1080/60p.

Sucks they didn't make it 50% bigger to include 1080/120 & 4k & internal ND. Basically a fixed lens RX100V. Shooting with two of these for stills & video would be a dream.

But here's a question: How would you rate the 1080/60p?

I have not shot in these modes yet, but will do so next week (indoors / low light / fast movement) and will post the footage as well. Do feel a version 2 with 1080p / 120 fps / 4K would be a sure hit. Already loving this a lot so far.

Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O72e2yjlnM
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'v shot a bit more with the RX0 in the last weeks. Most of it in the indoor wingsuit tunnel in Sweden, but also outdoors, during various skysives, often using it together with a DSLR (Sony NEX5) and GoPro4 for comparison.

Comparing the footage, all the shots the RX0 get seem to have more look and feel of a DSLR. Especially in terms of highlights/exposure, it always seems to very nicely handle whats in front of the lens. Never having blown out highlights (also as I shoot 1 stop under exposed, one of the many, many things you can do in the menu's, handling exposure automatic, but just always a bit down).

Shooting in the complete dark (sadly most stuff for projects where I can't show the footage yet) at 120 FPS esp. the low light capability of the (much bigger) sensor shines.
The RX0 shoot beatyfull 120 fps footage, where the GoPro also shot 120 fps, but couldnt handle the low light, so instead if exposed longer, and only wrote every 4th frame (so the 120 fps was actually saved as 30 fps with duped frames, with a bigger file as the difference). Colorwise and focus on the RX0 was also a lot better.

I'll have more stuff to show soon. But so far quite impressed, and hope at some point a 4K (internal) version is coming..

I think for 90% of the jumpers, a GoPro will do fine, as (video wise) this is more a small dslr (at a steep price) but for me personally, a much nicer choice to do more cinematic style shooting with.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?