keithbar

Solar eclipse and cameras

Will the Solar eclipse ruin a camera? I know it's stupid not to have the eclipse glasses over the lens but let's just say you have a pair of those glasses propped over the lens and are filming it and A gust of wind blows them off will it immediately ruin your camera ? I have plenty a skydiver videos where the sun is in the background for several seconds . Of course I try to avoid that but sometimes you can't
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

It's my understanding that you ONLY need this if you yourself are looking at the sun, or you're using a telephoto lens. With the a wide angle lens we often get the sun in the shot and as long as the camera isn't just staring at the eclipse it's not an issue. If you're going to put the camera on a tripod and get shots of the sun then yes...you probably should have the filter regardless of the lens.

The filter is so friggin dark that nothing else will come thru so having the filter will really make it useless for anything else in the shot. The 2 attached are from last night trying out the filter on a 500mm lens on a cropped sensor camera.

And someone already stated, once in totality you can remove the filter (and should) to view it.
my pics & stuff!

I shot this one handheld during totality with my 100-400. Nothing special. We were jumping during the eclipse and I was on the ground filming landings. My ISO was up to like 6400. I wish I would have had it on 800 but I didn't know what to expect and I was trying to get landing shots in the dark without a flash all at the same time.... :/

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer