VertexSkySports

Shutter Speed Recommendations?

Always enjoyed photography and just getting into skydive photography.

Does anyone have any advice on minimum shutter speed? Obviosuly high is better but it's at the sacrifice of boosting ISO on those sunset jumps - so what do you guys seem to find is the sweet spot? I was shooting at 1/1000th...

Not tandem stuff, freefly, tracking etc...
https://s9.postimg.org/3y87vbbr3/email_sig.jpg
www.vertexskysports.com
www.facebook.com/vertexskysports

It really depends on what you're shooting & what you want to see. I did some night jumps saturday night and used 1/125th a second (and have used 1/60th as well). Typically I'll run around 1/350 to 1/500 during the day. I want my ISO as low as possible and I'd like the aperture in the sweet spot. The quality of the image is typically at it's best in this range....plus I don't want a very narrow depth of field. But...if you're aiming for that then maybe you'll want to use the aperture value mode and lock the lens wide open and let the camera choose your shutter (which will be pretty high). There's really no right answer...it's what you like to see.

And with that said...I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of different responses to what people like.
my pics & stuff!

Yeah found that article after I posted - they liked 1/1000 - 1/1600 so pretty damn fast.

I'll do some more experimeting, I didn't like the Sony a5100 results advoe 400 ISO, but decided I'll use the a6300 which might be a bit happier!

Thanks guys
www.vertexskysports.com

Honestly the a6300 is a huge waste for stills for most people. The sensor is identical to the a6000 that you can pick up for half the price, the only thing it's better for (and what I use it for) is 4k/1080@120.

That said, the one nice thing the a6300 has that the a6000 doesn't have is auto-ISO minimum shutter speed. You can set it to 1/1000 and then shoot in aperture priority at your preferred aperture. Shooting in shutter priority means your plane shots are super high ISO (bad) and your backlit shots are super high aperture (also bad, diffraction and dust bunnies).

It's a fair point, but the sensors are not the same (a6000/a6300). May not be enough in it to justify the cost of the a6300 but it's a totally different sensor not even exactly the same MP exactly. The minimum shutter speed is definitely handy, and people who shoot with autofocus (I don't I use manual) it's also quite alot better for this.

The disadvantage to this is weight. However I also own an a5100, which is extremely close to the a6000 in sensor (if not the same), and so much lighter and smaller...again i dont use autofocus so no problem, and I obviously don't need the EVF. However I found the images a bit noisy above 400, not terrible but I didn't love the sensor so I thought I'd stick on my A6300 as it's sitting on the shelf :-)
www.vertexskysports.com

If you can keep your head still and/or have IS, 1/800 is quite doable. However, I prefer to be on the safe side with 1/1000 and bump ISO up on darker sunset jumps. Of course, it depends on the type of jump as well... The less "dynamic", the slower you can go with shutter speed.

I've done shots w/ a 105mm before but the purpose was for the perspective of the mountain behind the subject. It works pretty good but your aim has to be spot on (ring site).

If that guy has a 60mm on a cropped sensor...well that's pretty tough to work with.
my pics & stuff!

linestretch

I've done shots w/ a 105mm before but the purpose was for the perspective of the mountain behind the subject. It works pretty good but your aim has to be spot on (ring site).

If that guy has a 60mm on a cropped sensor...well that's pretty tough to work with.

Very cool