42piratas

Better video results with a camcorder than with a GoPro 5?

Hey, there!

Will my Audi A4 drive differently than my Truck?

For mowing my lawn I use a Husqarna lawnmover with 72 cm cutting blades and seat climatisation.:P

Depends on the kind of footage you want to get, the camcorder, the jump, your flying and camera skills, post processing requirements, raw vs edited, stabilisation needs, desired location of the camera...
Yes, no and everything in between. Specify your question.

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Mainly I was wondering if a camcorder will end up giving me better raw video quality enough for paying off buying one and using it instead of simply using a GoPro5.

But I can rephrase my question: what are the potential advantages of using a camcorder instead of using a GoPro? And the technical disadvantages, if any? And which are the camcorders models suggested, if any?

The reason your question is hard to answer is that a go pro is a camcorder. So the question itself makes no sense. The other problem is that it depends what you're using it for.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

My first answer was rather sarcastic but I thought, I explained my reasoning behind it.
Before someone here can give you an accurate answer one needs to know what kind of jumps you want to film and what your needs are.

Will you be inside or outside of the jump, are you planning on flying close to your video target or further away? How much money do you want to spend and what are your post processing capabillities?

If everything you desire is having fullHD, wide angle footage of your own jumps and your buddies and you're mostly close together and just want to watch for debrief/sceenshot the occasional selfi for FB a Gopro5 is just as much money as you should spend. This accounts for probably 95% of all jumpers out there.

If you have specific tasks like filming teams, tandems, outside bigway video, boogie video, commercials and/or like to play and edit a lot we are approaching camcorder territory and above. Also do you need remote controll ability/Hypeeye support?
This goes from Sony CX100 for lowbudget FS-training video up to RED Epic Dragon for commercials and high budget/high quality stuff.
So as I said, it depends...

For tandems, teamtraining and the occasional outside freeflyvideo I use a combination of Gopro for the closer stuff and a Sony FDR AX53 with Hypoxic Hypeeye Alpha for when I'm further away.
The "advantages" of the Sony over the Gopro are a narrower lense angle, that allows me to video specific targets instead of everything all the time, awesome optical video stabilisation, 4k ability, better sound recording especially for interviews, abillity to zoom, good raw material for later editing and so on..

"Disadvantages" are probably the heavier weight and the pricetag of 1000+ € together with the Hypeeye, also a ring sight to have my targets centered and just easier aiming.
As it sits on top of my helmet I need to keep my head low when I'm moving around in the plane as well.

Sooo... What again do you need/want exactly? The way you asked the question somehow leaves me thinking you really don't need anything else beside the Hero5.
BTW, you wouldn't believe, how much you could get out of your Gopro. It's not always the camera. Good videos are 80% flying and 20% camera. (I made those numbers up but you get my point, right?)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

For RW filming I am very happy with my sony X3000 's; image quality beats both my old CX105 and GoPro 4.
HypeEye alpha makes control super easy.
Good battery life (can easily film a full day jumping on one battery)
Less than half the weight of my Cx105.
So far no software problems, crashes, or lock-ups (very much unlike the GoPro).

I don't think a big camcorder will give much better results. But then, I only do RW at the moment, and I am curious to hear what others think.