tosca

why did I get a bag lock?

I´m interested in all possible reasons to why I got a bag lock so I can prevent it from happening again. Maybe there is something I haven´t thought of.

The rig was packed carefully by an experienced skydiver. Pilot chut was not collapsed according to the packer. Rubber bands for closing the bag. The bag lock was on or near to the closing stows. Maybe the second or third stow (from the canopy)

All ideas are welcome :)

NOTE: I am NOT a rigger. I just happen to jump and I used to pack for money, this is my own opinion and observation. Actual milage may vary, terms and conditions apply, consult your doctor before starting any fitness routine, etc.

Line bite size could have something to do with it.

A couple theories: The line bite was long enough that it bound in the rubber band. Or the line bite after the locking stows were too long and were able to get caught on the next set of bites, thus creating a neat little knot.

Eitherway, having a bag lock is better then having a slammer...atleast you can cutaway from a bag lock. If the slammer is hard enough, you may not be able to acutally move to cutaway from a torn up canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've had a bag lock as well. Here's the explanation of my mal:

1. I was given "super bands" by my rigger upon purchasing a new rig.

2. First jump on the new rig was first load on a Saturday morning. I was in a rush hooking up my canopy to the new risers, a non-packer put the rubber bands on the d-bag (Mirage G3). The bands were put on very close together. Upon rotating the bag inside the container.

The bag lock was caused by the last two stows on the top of the bag on one side. One of these stows passed inside the other stow, neither of the rubber bands broke. There I was standing up looking at a bag lock!

Hope this helps.

How many jumps on the pilot chute?

What size PC?

What type of material is the PC made of?

Is the kill line long enough on the PC, or has it shrunk so that the PC can no longer fully inflate?

Were the rubber bands double stowed?

What size rubber bands?

How big were the line stows?

What size canopy?

What type of lines on the canopy?

Derek

NOTE: I am NOT a rigger. I just happen to jump and I used to pack for money, this is my own opinion and observation. Actual milage may vary, terms and conditions apply, consult your doctor before starting any fitness routine, etc.

you're really afraid of getting sued, huh ? ;)
anyway , i hope ppl who ask questions here know that its all advices, some better some worse, but only advices...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Or the line bite after the locking stows were too long and were able to get caught on the next set of bites, thus creating a neat little knot.
reply]
Mirage suggests packing each stow a little shorter than the one before to avoid this problem.

never pull low......unless you are

you're really afraid of getting sued, huh

No, it really comes down to the fact that I'm on this site a lot, and I post a lot. With that in mind, a newbie could mistake that for actual knowledge about the sport. I admit that I don't know that much about the sport, I only have a bit over 600 jumps and a bit over 3 years in the sport.

So I try to help where I can and give my opinion, but those opinions aren't always right (thus I learn from my being wrong) or those opinions can't be backed with any sort of rigger's ticket or such.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How many jumps on the pilot chute?
What size PC?
What type of material is the PC made of?
Is the kill line long enough on the PC, or has it shrunk so that the PC can no longer fully inflate?

100 jumps, 0-p material, kill line long enough.
I don´t know the size.

Were the rubber bands double stowed?
What size rubber bands?
How big were the line stows?

No double stows. The rubber bands were small, made for micro lines, don´t know the size,

What size canopy?
What type of lines on the canopy?

135, micro lines

Most of the usual culprits you have eliminated, leaving only a couple of possiblilities that I can think of.

1. A line stow got through another stow, locking it off, or

2. A line stow got pulled into a grommet on the D-bag, locking it off.

Either of these may be the cause, or neither.

Derek