ThighMan

Tonfly drill hole repair.

A quick question. I'll be calling Chutingstar in the AM but, I just bought a Tonfly 2X camera helmet. I asked for a GoPro Curved Forehead Safety Mount, which was mounted. The problem is the holes they drilled are to high to mount the new Hero 5 and have a Zoom lens on my A6000. I'm trying to see if I can "Patch" the holes, redrill the mounting holes lower so I can mount the Hero 5. Everything was mounted prior to attaching the hardware. So, I've got all the hardware and am trying to mount it. If I redrill the holes, it will mount the correct way with the low profile mount. Thoughts? Yes, I'll call Chutingstar and give Tonfly an email with the pictures.... Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Is that the 55-210? That's not a lens I'd want to jump. Have you tried it with something like the 18-55/16-50, 16mm/20mm pancakes, (Sigma) 19 or 30mm, or 35mm/50mm OSS? You should be fine with any of those, even with their hoods.

Of all those I'd start with the Sigma 19mm, you can find them for $100 used. The 35mm/50mm are really good if you want a tight shot. Or a Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2 if you want a similar FOV to a Gopro, it's incredibly sharp for a $250 lens. If you want a zoom I'd get the 18-55, the 16-50 is much more fragile if you have a bad landing. The 16mm/20mm are pretty poor optically but of the 2 I'd prefer the 20mm since the 16mm doesn't support PDAF.

I don't think re-drilling it is a good idea, you'll only gain 1/2'' and it'll probably weaken the helmet a bit.

Have you jumped it yet? It's fine for shooting jumpers landing but it's a terrible helmet camera lens. A 55mm has an effective FL of 82mm on a crop sensor. I use my 50mm f/1.8 OSS sometimes for shooting but only with a second camera with a ~20mm as well because you won't get nearly as many keepers with a 50. You'll need a ringsight and you'll have to be pretty far back from whatever formation you're shooting. It's also got a slow aperture and isn't particularly sharp. That's probably the worst lens you can use if you're new to shooting camera.

I shoot all RAW and with my A6000 or A6300 I can crop a 19mm image down to an equivalent 50mm if I want and still have more than enough resolution for anything online or small prints.

Hook your rig up and follow someone around on a bike and see how many keepers you get.

The problem is the length of the lens. You don't need a 200M zoom on your head. :ph34r:

I would be jumping a prime lens. If you are filming tandems you will have plenty of time to land, drop your rig off, and run back out to get the landing up close.

If you are fun jumping and filming other jumpers save the landing photos for when you aren't jumping, and use the zoom lens then.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I completely agree with the advice given before, a telezoom is not the most straightforward way to get footage.

However, if (for whatever reason) you decide to use the 55-210, it helps to screw off the reversed lens shade, that gives you a bit extra space and might even be enough to allow the gopro to be pointed correctly. ;)