CTSkydiver

New Sony a6500 · In-camera 5-axis optical image stabilization comes to Sony's Mirrorless Cams.

Press Release
Sony Introduces New a6500 Camera with Exceptional All-Around Performance
by Communications 10/06/2016, in Digital Cameras

New Flagship APS-C Sensor Camera Combines World’s Fastest AF speed1 and Highest Number of AF points2 with In-camera 5-axis optical image stabilization, Touchscreen AF Operation, 24.2 MP Exmor® CMOS sensor and more

ILCE-6500_FE2470GM_rightNEW YORK, Oct. 6, 2016 – Sony Electronics, a worldwide leader in digital imaging and the world’s largest image sensor manufacturer, has today introduced their new flagship APS-C sensor camera, the a6500 (model ILCE-6500).

As the latest addition to Sony’s lineup of award winning mirrorless cameras, the new a6500 shares the same unrivaled 4D FOCUS™ system as the a6300 camera, which can lock focus on a subject in as little as 0.05 seconds, the world’s fastest1 AF acquisition time. Also shared with the a6300, the new a6500 features 425 phase detection AF points that are densely positioned over nearly the entire image area – the world’s highest2 number of AF points on any interchangeable lens camera. The new model can shoot images at up to 11 frames per second with continuous autofocus and exposure tracking and up to 8 frames per second in a live-view shooting mode that makes it easy to track fast moving subjects, as it combines all of the benefits of an electronic viewfinder with the immediacy of an optical viewfinder.

The camera can shoot at these high speeds for up to 307 frames3 thanks to its expanded buffer, which, along with the fast response speeds described above, are all achieved with the support of a new front-end LSI chip that has been added to the camera. This new front-end LSI also serves to enhance both still and video image quality.

Additionally, the new a6500 features Sony’s acclaimed in-camera 5-axis optical image stabilization, making it the first Sony APS-C sensor camera to offer all of the benefits of advanced in-body stabilization, which include a shutter speed advantage of approximately 5 steps4. It also offers touchscreen AF capabilities for focus point selection and adjustment.

“We are continuing to push the boundaries of modern innovation in digital imaging, in particular within the mirrorless space,” said Neal Manowitz, Vice President of Digital Imaging at Sony Electronics. “By equipping the a6500 with 5-axis image stabilization and touchscreen AF, we’re offering photographers and videographers more control than ever before and a seemingly endless amount of creative possibilities. As our flagship APS-C camera, it far exceeds the performance threshold of any camera in its class, and many above its class as well.”

Continues at:

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-introduces-new-%CE%B16500-camera-with-exceptional-all-around-performance/

I am hoping this comes out soon. I want to buy this!

Going to Nepal end of November and I want to be bringing new camera gear, but I don't think it is going to ship in time unfortunately.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I ended up buying a used A7ii. It has the 5-axis in camera stabilization, and has a full frame sensor versus the cropped sensor in the a6000/a6500 etc.

I am going to be using it first for travel photography, but I am going to get it ready to jump for this upcoming spring too.

If I don't like it I am sure I can sell it for close to what I bought it for considering it was used.:)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P