MarkAfrika

Ideas on quick video dubs of tandem handicam

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place for this (maybe should be in the tandem thread), but I wanted to see who / if anybody had any good ideas on quick and quality video edits for our tandem hand cam vids.
The only real info that some one shared with me was to use Sony Vega with Swoopware software to manage edits in a timely fashion. http://www.swoopware.com/Swoopware/Home.aspx

We really would like to send our customers home with their videos on the day of the jump, and really don't have all day to spend editing them.

Any new ideas on different ways to do this would be superbly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
[email protected]

I've just been inserting simple transitions between scenes as shot in camera and bracketing the footage with fades from / to short clips of professional looking pre-rendered logos and contact info.

Using a fast laptop with lots of memory and a high-end gaming graphics card; its a simple drag & drop to a pre-set template taking less than 30 seconds of editor time, and maybe 2 minutes of PC time to render an (up-to) 8 minute 1080p/30 .mp4. The slowest part of the entire process is copying the video and stills to the USB stick (when using slower, but cheaper USB 2 sticks). I gotten so I can dump the data from the memory cards, archive it on my laptop, clean the cards (prepare them for the next jump by moving the data to an archive folder on the cards), edit the video, archive the rendered video, and dump the photos and rendered video to the customer USB in under ten minutes — which as a TI, is usually good enough to still make a 20 minute turn-around. Anything shorter than 15 or 20 (such as back-to-backs) I'll either need to use an editor or upload the footage to the internets at the end of the day.

For handcam video, I don't bother with music, for five reasons:

(1) Handcam is always close enough to capture people's screams in freefall, and, of course, their voices under canopy.

(2) People rather here their own voices and TI than music tracks someone else picks for them which probably don't match their tastes in music.

(3) Use of copyrighted music makes posting videos to social media needlessly difficult or impossible.

(4) It takes too long to mix the audio levels.

(5) No one misses it. Ever.

I started doing handcam in a place that doesn't edit AT ALL. They just give the customers the raw footage -- and don't even combine the 6 or so shots (a brief intro interview, the takeoff, a brief half-way up interview, the skydive, some of the canopy ride, and a brief post-landing interview) into a single file.

It worked. No one complained about that, either.

Personally, I feel it looks waaay better to take the time to combine the clips and add some nice DZ logos and such. But even that is beyond what most people want these days. I started doing outside video in the mid-nineties. I still find it hard to accept that people no longer have the patience for "fluff". I LOVED telling a complete story with all the fluff I shot. But all people want to see today is their silly faces in freefall and some cool canopy shots. Sad, but true. We live in a media saturated time where everyone has exceptionally short attention spans, and it's simply a selfie-addicted generation that wants something short and sweet to post on social media.

+1 for swoopware.

Set it up once, reap the rewards on every jump thereafter.

Mick is a legend and delivered an enhancement for us within a matter of days. It's also super cheap considering the time he's put in.

We have 2 PCs with i7s and SSDs and don't bother with graphics cards. They spit out 8 minute videos in well under 10 minutes with each PC rendering 2 videos at the same time. Customers leave with a USB on the day.

We could easily operate with one PC but the second is more for redundancy.

Actual touch time is a minute or less per video. It can be much less if you know the camera flier has cut the clips well in-camera. This happens less now though because everyone flies gopros and they have to turn them on 2 miles out ;)

We use a simple template with a little intro and outro and some basic animated lower thirds to introduce the customer etc. You can take your time with this as you only ever have to do it once. However, the less you do, the faster it'll render.

For music, we bought licences for some generic stuff that isn't too opinionated. Still, the guys who do the edits are sick of it. Definitely consider not using music if it works without it!