Fordy

Sony A7rii full frame mirrorless

Hi all,

Just a bit if info for anyone who may be looking to purchase for jumping.

I bought A7rii body with metabones adapter for canon lenses as I own a few and hoped to not have to go down the route of purchasing native e-mount lenses.

Mounted on really right stuff mount with custom bite switch I made a few jumps to soon how it compared to Canon 5dmkiii.

Jump 1 - 4 way which turned out to be a bit of a zoo but fun to snap away at, nice images, sharp with manual focus Canon 15mm 2.8 fisheye.

Jump 2 - angle dive same lens, a couple of beautiful sharp images and a few with a strange black line half way or a third of the way across the frame.

Jump 3 - Head up 2 way, same lens, same 1/2 black screen issue with some just an annoying shadow on one side.

All images shot in portrait, no camera glove or silicone case.

Jump 5 - British record warm up jumps, 28 way, took 2 shots on the hill and frozen on second image, no further images taken as it froze until battery removed and lens reseated post jump. Switched back to Canon 5dmkiii for the rest of the record weekend as I couldn't trust A7rii to get the shot.

Jump 6 - HD/HU jjmp, had the idea it may be an issue of very old 15mm lens not communicatineed with adapter or body so switched to canon 24-105 f/4L USM lens manual focus. Same outcome as 15mm.

E-mailed a couple of well known aerial photographers whom I heard or read used Sony A7rii and received a reply from one who sited same issue.

I had worked out that the metabones adapter under load (think pressure created by high wind forces) stops the camera communicating with A7rii body and it freezes. The merest fraction of movement will do this and stop images from being taken, can only be recreated on the ground by putting a strain on the lens with your hand and twisting or 'jiggling' the lens to try and cause movement.

Jump 7,8 - hired Zeiss Loxia 21mm 2.8 manual focus e- mount lens. Wingsuit flights, all speeds and angles with no issue. Stunningly sharp images.

Hoping to get some FF/Angle jumps in over the weekend to test lens further.

Also purchased fotodiox after market lens mount to replace Sony plastic/metal 2 piece combination, reportedly tighter fitting for all lens. (Not received yet) Ithe may cure communication issue under load being a tighter fit.

Hopefully if anyone in the market for this stunning but expensive camera reads this they will have more information to go on than I had and maybe spend less or choose differently as I have a lot of canon glass that I most likely can't use with this camera whilst jumping.

I will update and add a couple of image links to full frame, full size images so the quality can be seen, it really is hard to belive the depth, sharpness and dynamic range of this camera without seeing an image.

Hope this has been helpful if a little convoluted.

Regards

Fordy

Fordy

I will update and add a couple of image links to full frame, full size images so the quality can be seen, it really is hard to belive the depth, sharpness and dynamic range of this camera without seeing an image.

Hi Fordy. Thanks for sharing this info from a while back. I'm wondering how it went at the end and if you are currently shooting full frame. If so, which camera/glass worked for you and can you see the big difference from cropped sensor in your aerial shots?
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

Hi,

Still using A7rii and love the results. I use various lens including Leica Loxia 21/50mm with nd filters and Sony G-master 85mm with variable nd filter.

The worst problem I have had with the Sony is the weak remote connector which is essentially a slightly longer micro usb and terrible. I have been through 4 remote switches as they don’t like the wind (I made a dental putty mould for one which helped a little) and now the camera is with Sony for the internal remote/power adapter micro usb slot to be replaced.

I only shoot full frame unless I want the 85mm to become 130mm approx

Hope that helps.

Fordy
Fordy