timrf79

Canopy recommendations

Depending on the camera setup you have, most likely you'll want to find one that has soft openings. They have one for every class, I jump right now a Safire 3 over a Sabre 2 because I needed a canopy that opens softly and can get back from a long spot.

For tandems, I like something that is trimmed steeper so I can pitch straight after they deploy (to ensure I get back) and can be down well before them with ease.

I borrowed a Stiletto for a back to back once and I couldn't get the thing to land. You come out of a turn on those things higher than you start it. I rotated it the whole way down and the tandem still nearly beat me :|

Really though, unless you're jumping something big and complicated, whatever you're flying now will be fine.

(At 80 jumps, make sure you've considered whether that footage is really necessary...)

I have about 600 camera jumps on a Katana 150 and 200 on a Safire2 129. I find the safire2 is a little nicer because of the openings and it's a bit better at getting back from long spots. We have a great team and the wx is pretty predictable so through the TI alerting me in freefall that the spot is long and good spotting I only land out about once a year.

-Michael

On Sunday I did a "Spec" video (evaluation video/ learning video).
Tracked away from the tandem and deployed 5 sec after the tandem.
My Sabre 1 with a HUGE pocket slider sniveled so long that I was under a working canopy around 2k feet.
Had to land about 0.5 miles short of the DZ... Which is kinda bad for videos as you miss the landing and post landing interview

hodges

For tandems, I like something that is trimmed steeper ..........

I borrowed a Stiletto for a back to back once and I couldn't get the thing to land................)

If you're the last group out on a long spot, that Stiletto will get you back when others are landing off. I love my Stiletto.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

***For tandems, I like something that is trimmed steeper ..........

I borrowed a Stiletto for a back to back once and I couldn't get the thing to land................)

If you're the last group out on a long spot, that Stiletto will get you back when others are landing off. I love my Stiletto.

I love mine too. What's the world coming to when a great canopy with a great glide angle is scorned for taking too long to descend? About the only thing PD has ever made that has been in production longer than the Stiletto is the PDR. Just open lower on your tandem video jumps!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Last weekend I barely made it back under my Sabre 1 170 (despite being on rears the whole time).
Even the tandem out after us had no problem.

Think I need to look for a used Crossfire or Stiletto 170, maybe a 150 (thought that WL might be too high).

So I have been jumping for more than 150 jumps now recording Formation Groups, started with wingsuiting last year and using my cameraequipment helmet (dslr and Video) on wingsuitjumps. I have been jumping a 135 Sabre2 since two years now and never had any Problems at all.
I love the soft openings of the Sabre 2 :)